Topic: Songs that should never be used as a commercial jingle

Hey Everyone,
While posting on Phil's topic regarding "one hit wonders" I came across another idea.  How do you feel when a song that you really like turns up in some lame commercial?  It drives me crazy.  Three that really bother me are:
Revolution (The Beatles) - used in a Nike commercial several years ago.
Our House (Madness) - currently used in a Maxwell House coffee commercial here in the states
There is also a Nirvana song (although I can't remember which one) that is used for a baseball video game.  Thanks a lot Courtney, I'm sure Kurt is officially turning over in his grave now. 
Which songs make you cringe when you here them in a commercial?  Which songs do you hope never go down this road?  Or, do you not have a problem with any of this?
EF

Re: Songs that should never be used as a commercial jingle

Have too say I don't have a problem with this. Mind you, I don't watch much TV as a rule. It's kinda neat when you do hear something that you maybe haven't heard for a while though. So I guess if it happens to be on TV advert then I'm kinda cool with it. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Paul Weller was once asked about his songs getting used in commercials. He said he would hate the idea of it but he never had that much control over the record comany with them for that use.
A few months later "thats entertainment" ( i tihnk it was this song) was used in an advert. canny remember what for though it was about10 or 14 years ago roughly.
I just remember that interview so well as I think someone must have listened to this interview and done it to piss Weller off.

I think it is ok to hear some good songs on an advert but if you do watch tv a lot, which I dont either it would get annoying.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Here in Australia they use the Beach Boys "good vibrations" in a jingle for a white goods store. instead of going 'shes givin me good vibrations' it goes 'come in and see the good good good guys'. its the most annoying jingle on the air. Cadbury chocolate also uses 'wouldnt it be nice'

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

How about Steppinwolf's "Born to be wild" about salsa sauce
"Born to be Mild" Pretty sad eh.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

How about Steppinwolf's "Born to be wild" about salsa sauce
"Born to be Mild" Pretty sad eh.

....Badeye.

Ouch Badeye.  That is a particularly bad one.

I heard that a company selling hemorrhoid cream wanted to use johnny cash's (appropriately titled) Ring of fire in a commercial but weren't allowed to lol

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."
-Jimi Hendrix

Rhiannon wrote:

I heard that a company selling hemorrhoid cream wanted to use johnny cash's (appropriately titled) Ring of fire in a commercial but weren't allowed to lol

lol

Howzabout anything by rapper R. Kelly used to advertise incontinence products?

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I heard te Caddilac company wanted to use the Doors song "Break on Through" for one of their commercials, but the band said it would ruin the spirit.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

i heard that to       

worst songs to be used -

down with the sickness being used for a pharmacy commercial - disturbed

smoke on the water for a ciggerate company - i dont know

burn- for a match coampany - three days grace

the song BYOB (bring your own bomb) for a us armed services commercial- system of a down

the only song ithink that has had a sucsess would be the song mad world for the gears of war commecial.

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

Altex wrote:

Here in Australia they use the Beach Boys "good vibrations" in a jingle for a white goods store. instead of going 'shes givin me good vibrations' it goes 'come in and see the good good good guys'. its the most annoying jingle on the air. Cadbury chocolate also uses 'wouldnt it be nice'

That's HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!  That wins the prize (rotten eggs). 

Here in Germany they have a coffee called "Night and Day"---pretty obvious what they used for the jingle....
Drove me nuts because I'd get these so-called jazz singing students, and they all say "Oh, I know Night And Day",
but they can only sing the FIRST EIGHT BARS!

13 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-06-29 12:10:26)

If you get a chance listen to the words to Niel Youngs This Notes for You. It adresses this exact subject. And it's a good song too

By the way you can find the song in chordies library of songs and sing it yourself

what a long strange trip it's been