Topic: Shenandoah River - Third weekend in June

That's what I'm thinking.  If you need to put in your vacation requests at the beginning of the year, I am intending on having a river jam at the same campground as last year on the third weekend in June.  Thursday June 14 to Sunday June 17. 

I haven't contacted the campground yet, but I don't see how it will be a problem.   Last year the prices were very reasonable.  There is a quiet hours restriction, but last year we were able to get a site waaaaaaaay down at the end and were lucky enough to have noisy neighbors. 

The campground web page is:  http://www.lowwaterbridgecampground.com/ 

It is right on the Shenandoah River in Bentonville, Virginia.  You can either launch right from the campground and float down, or there are some floats that wind up right at the campground (with a short portage around a the campground's eponymous feature).  There are many nearby outfitters, including one within wading distance if the water is low.  Fishing is mostly for smallmouth bass and bluegills.  Or it's scenic enough to forego fishing for those who aren't so inclined. 

Please give an indication if you are interested and a rough likelihood of your attendance.  For example: Zurf, 50% likely, 4 people.  Something like that.  It's all very fluid, and none of it is a promise until you get there, but it helps to be able to figure how many sites we'll need as there are limits to how many are permitted to camp on a site.  I'll give a call to the campground in February or so. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Shenandoah River - Third weekend in June

As I plan on being retired by then, I'm guessing I'm around 75% sure I can make it.  Might bring a couple friends if things work out.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Good luck with that DE.  I'd love to see you.  I'm taking the family on a trip in July and am unlikely to run the August trip to Diane's this year.  I ought to let her know, but I haven't made up my mind for sure yet.  I'm leaning that way.  Depends on work.  I'm not going to be retired unless the Virginia Lottery finally recognizes the merits of letting me win. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I'm going to have to say it's a 5% for us.  School is still in session around here at that time so getting away is near to impossible, plus Jim usually has some type of tattoo show to do in June.  So it's pretty much a no, but because I really really really want to come, I am saying there's a 5% chance things could change and we'd make it.  For anyone that thinks they can go... DO IT!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I really wanted to do this last year but things like building and moving into a new house got in the way.  What kind of water is the flow around there?  I don't kayak, I have a flat bottom Coleman Crawdad I float with around here.  It takes pretty shallow water, but I am not really interested in testing it on any fast flowing rapids.  So, unless we are talking pretty lazy tranquil flows I would be pretty much limited to the good times around the campfire with guitar, beverage and such.  Oh darn!  Last year's event sounded very fun and I wished I had been able to come.  Maybe this year!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Big Jim - You'd do well with a Coleman Crawdad.  Those boats are in high demand around here.   They slide over the rocky sections a whole lot better than a 10' aluminum jon boat. 

There are a few stretches I'd recommend you to avoid, but they're clearly marked and well known, so you're not going to wind up in trouble by accident.  On the other hand, you're from Ohio and I've noticed that Buckeyes have a terrible time keeping boats people side up.  :^)   

- Zurf

Hey Zurf!  Only a few of us Ohioans end up in the underside of a boat......Come to think of it, everybody I know from Ohio has been in the water at least once during a fishing trip.  Maybe you are on to something.  Thanks for the info.  That makes my decision a little easier knowing that I can at least wet a line in addition to the quality campground activity.  I will put it on my calendar and see how things go!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Uh-oh .............. I got an email from SOFA (Southern Ohio Floater's Association) that our annual weekend Paint Creek float/hog-roast/camp-out/campfire pickin' event is the same weekend.  I may have to pass Zurf.

DE

After talking to some guitar-pickin' friends that may show up, I think you can count me back in the mix Zurf.

DE

Hey Derek - I'll try and make it but I'm not committing to anything at this time. Waiting to see how my knee turns out and my son is getting married about that time as well. I will be there if I can. My wife already told me I'll be on my own this time as she is not fond of tent sleeping. Best I can do for now but as it gets closer I will commit one way or the other.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Well at this stage, there's the following maybes:

Zurf
Big Jim/Bass Viking
Jets60
Bo Crowder (friend of Dirty Ed and I)
Guitarpix
Al A (from a different site)
Roger (the light technician)
Josh Turner (not that Josh Turner: a friend of Bo, Dirty Ed, and I)

There are a few from whom I haven't heard yet. 

This is meant to be family friendly.  I can check into rules on pets.  But if you've got spouses or kids that would enjoy coming, I'd love to meet them.  I'm hoping that my family will be there.  I'm also planning to get an electric site for my camper so I'd be able to recharge batteries and the like.  We'll see how that works out. 

- Zurf

You should add to that list - A.Raccoon and A.Possum, especially if Roger is making Margaritas. Would love to be there, especially as June 17th is my birthday, but don't think it's possible! But if you can somehow get internet, maybe I can say hello via Skype?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

We shall see what we can see in that regard.  I am considering getting a cellular WiFi hub.  If so, we could work that out.

Is this party still on Zurf?  I talked to Jennifer and we both will be coming. Philly Ray (Phil Wiltshire who you've met at some RS Rodeos) and Englishman John (John Locke, who ran a local open mic for several years, is a member of the "Hardtackers" sea chanty team) are both Chordie site lurkers who would like to attend also.

DE

Yes.  I need to make the final arrangements, but it's still on.  I'm planning to move it to a little different area of the same campground to avoid the, uh, particular 'aroma' we had at the very end there. 

- Zurf

I am a 100% I can not be there but I want too be. Wish I was not so far away. I hope you all have a great time and do some pictures and videos to share with us wannabee's.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Put me down for 50% maybe (2 people).   Don't know what we're going to do for accommodations yet....Dreaming of winning an RV...lol

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Gabbysings - I've got a spare tent that will accomodate two people.  You are welcome to borrow it for the weekend. 

- Zurf

Just checked back to see what is new on the event?

Can you repeat where your reservations are on the site?  Still working on attending. 

Zurf, thank you for the offer, may have to take you up on it, if it is still open.   It's been a loooooong time since I've roughed it.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Campground: http://www.lowwaterbridgecampground.com/
I have made reservations for group camping.  That means up to eight people will share large sites.  I think I may need to get a third.  The cost is $8/night/person.

Time is Thursday, June 17 through Sunday, June 20.  I did not realize it when I picked this weekend, but it is Father's Day weekend, so bring your kids. 

It would be no problem to loan you a tent.  I have several, and I will be using my camper.   Bring a cot or an air mattress and you'll be comfy.  Borrowing kitchen access is almost certainly not going to be a problem.

21 (edited by Dirty Ed 2012-05-15 15:51:33)

I talked to Bo Crowder last night. I don't think he will be attending.

DE

I just sent Bo an e-mail earlier today to follow up.  Thanks for the heads up.

I will play Paradise in his honor, but not with his style.

I really would love too be there,wish I was not so far away,(3000 miles). My son lives in So. carolina and they will be headed up towards your area soon too camp and fish.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's about how far Normtheguitar came last year.

I would have too borrow money out of my Martin guitar fund,I can't do that!!.