1 (edited by Zurf 2012-05-17 17:54:23)

Topic: GHS Boomers

Aptly named.

I broke a string on my electric the other night.  It's been so long since I put strings on it, I didn't even remember what size I put on it.  The action is so low, I figured to put something thick on it and see what happens.  I got some GHS Boomers out of the cheap bin at my local guitar shop.  13's.  Yeah.  Boom!  It sounds good.  I may have to play that guitar from time to time now.

EDIT TO ADD: I like the 13's on it.  A buddy set it up with care and precision with the last set.  It's so nice, that the thick strings are a heck of a lot easier than lighter strings on my acoustics.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: GHS Boomers

I put the heaviest gauge strings I can find on my electrics.   I started doing it after I read an interview with SRV as an "immediate tone improvement" tip.  Sure as heck if he wasn't right.  Makes sense, too, from a pure physics standpoint.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Do you tune to Eb as well?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Do you tune to Eb as well?

No, but I'll throw it down to Drop D on occasion when I really want to get my punk on.

A thicker gauge string means you're moving more magnetic field, and therefore inducing more current in the pickup coils.  It's a cheap and easy way to get "hotter" pups without any other work done to the guitar.

it also makes 1.5 and 2 step bends really, really difficult.

I'd pull my hamstrings if I tried to bend that far.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

That, and also "Man up!"   big_smile

Zurf wrote:

I would too zurf,maybe even get a hernia!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

9 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-05-17 22:34:34)

13s!!! If your car breaks down,you can always use  them as a tow rope. Those are some thick strings

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I have been playing on GHS BOOMERS since I picked up a electric guitar.  LOVE THEM!

If I have to I use whats around but I buy GHS by the 5 pack.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I play heavies on my acoustic, 11's or 12's on the electric but I also drop 1/2 step to get those big bends....used to break too many strings in standard tuning. I've played 13's but only on my jazz axe where i'm not bending so much.

I put heavier strings on my Behringer. For some reason, no matter what I had my Mustang Amp set at the G,B and E strings always sounded tinny. The sound is better but takes a bit more work to fret.

As BGD has said, the heavier the strings the lower the tuning. Drop down a half step and see how that helps.  (You might get the urge to go a whole step and then drop C LOLLOLOLOL) smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)