Topic: Depressing songs

So we've been doing these Chordie-Skype jams, which have been a blast.  But several times after I've played a song, one of the other participants said, "Well that was depressing."  I'm going to give myself the benefit of doubt and assume that they are talking about the song lyrics and not my performance. 

So, I got to looking through my songs and sure enough quite a few of them are depressing.  At least one suicide song (The River Knows Your Name by John Hiatt), bankruptcy and homelessness (This Old House by Neil Young), losin' songs (I Still Miss Someone and Guess Things Happen That Way by Johnny Cash come to mind), and alcoholism (Gordon Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain).   

So, a similar topic from a different perspective.  What are some of the depressing songs you sing, or if you don't sing them at least like.  One I like but don't attempt because I just haven't got the gravitas is "Mama Tried" by the Hagg. 

If anyone posts "MacArthur Park" about that poor cake left out in the rain and the baker's never going to have the recipe again I will abuse my moderator authority and ban you on the spot.  (Of course I won't, but the threat had to be made.) 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Depressing songs

"Walking Alone", "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying", The Girl Of My Best Friend", "A Voice In The Wlderness", "Bang Bang", "I Started A Joke", "Someone Like You" and "Knocking On Heaven's Door" are but a few of the depressing songs that I like and sing regularly.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

"Walking After Midnight" - Another good depressing song brought to mind by "Walking Alone".

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I dont sing copy songs but I have composed a few depressing songs namely "A few to many" Betrayal,Fire of light, but im in my post depression stage at this time in my life and the songs I enjoy composing and singing are upbeat and positive, I sleep better. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I like to play the Crash Test Dummies' Funeral Song.
I'm just working on to Our Town - Telisha Williams brought the house down with that one (I can't do the twang justice but it's a great tune by Iris Dement)

Jim

"The Rake's Song" by the Decemberists.  A peppy little first person narrative about a man who murders his children.

I think it's all the rain in Portland that does it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Bed of coals by Warren Zevon.Cold Shot by Stevie Ray Vaughn.  I have never thought of playing it but who remembers  Alone Again Naturally by Gilbert O`sullivan. That song would make anybody reach for a rope.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

"HURT" by Johnny Cash. It's the best version of that song.

Nothing wrong with a good depressing song....how else can I make my fellow Irish cry in their beer?  amonst the best cry in your beer songs....Missing you Jimmy McCarthy, Ordinary man Christy Moore, Hurt Johnny Cash, Ghost in this house Alison Kraus and Only Our Rivers Run free Trad.  Could go on and on....

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Anything by Leonard Cohen, but that doesn't stop him being great!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Zurf wrote:

alcoholism (Gordon Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain).   

- Zurf

Isn't everything Gordon Lightfoot does depressing? IMO The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" is most depressing!!! I don't dislike his music but not really a top down 1st day of summer kind of performer....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Well, Gordon Lightfoot's "Don Quixote" is a feel-good romp about a lunatic running about the countryside with all the tools to fix society but no one will listen to him. 

- Zurf

13 (edited by dino48 2012-05-21 21:54:26)

I like some of your tunes zurf,I think you shoud play what you like too,if someone else gets can not get into it then  they can stop listening. Remember rick Nelsons song Garden Party? that about sums it up.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have to give a big +1 to Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  I just dig the whole tone of that one.  Its a long one to play, but man its captivating.  NOt too many more I can play, but Man I love to listen to a few of them.  Dont know if it really qualifys but I think one of forgotten ones is WILD HORSES By THE STONES (maybe ill try to learn it again). great vid too btw ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhVLiHPUOIM )

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

If i want to listen to music to slit my wrist to, I would have to say anything off of Red Dirt Girl. by Emmyloe Harris.  listened to that cd 2x and couldnt pick it up again.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I love and play this tune. Written by Eric Bogle, but this version by Liam Clancy is exceptionally moving.

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Springsteen has a few dull tunes, 

badeye    cool

one caper after another

It ain't Bluegrass unless someone dies!  "I Hear a Sweet Voice Calling".

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Reading this topic I thought about a couple I play, Hungry Eyes, by Merle
Haggard; Go rest High On That Mountain, by Vince Gill, Wayfaring Stranger, old Gospel song.     b

Wreck of The Old  97, may also be included.  b

There's nothing quite like sitting a round the dying coals of a campfire at 2:30 in the morning trading sad songs with other pickers.

Some of them that I play:

Everything That Glitters is Not Gold - Dan Seals
Darcy Farrow - John Denver (written by Gillette/Campbell)
Goodbye Again - John Denver
If We Make it Through December - Merle Haggard
Never Leave Harlan Alive - Darrell Scott
Thirty Years of Farming - Fred Eaglesmith
Alcohol and Pills - Fred Eaglesmith
He's a Good Dog - Fred Eaglesmith
Spooking the Horses - Fred Eaglesmith
Slip-Sliding Away - Paul Simon
The Boxer-Paul Simon
Hard Times - Dirty Ed
Home for the Holidays - Dirty Ed
If I were the Wind - Dirty Ed
Life's River - Dirty Ed

I could probably come up with a few more if I were sitting around a campfire and adult beverages were available ...............

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

deadstring wrote:

It ain't Bluegrass unless someone dies!  "I Hear a Sweet Voice Calling".

That there is a true fact.

And if they don't die, they better go to prison.

I would also submit "Sunday Morning Coming Down" for review by the committee.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Here are some good ones that well me up:

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights - Freddy Fender
Grace is gone - Dave Matthews Band
Christmas in Prison - John Prine
Xmas Prison Blues - Seasick Steve (Steve Wold)
Unwed Fathers - John Prine  & Bobby Braddock
Lovesick Blues - Cliff Friend & Irving Mills - performed by Hank Williams Sr.
...and my favorite....and perhaps the most famous:
He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones

I am getting depressed just reading this list...oh yeah....Let's not forget "Danny Boy"

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

jets60 wrote:

Here are some good ones that well me up:

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights - Freddy Fender
Grace is gone - Dave Matthews Band
Christmas in Prison - John Prine
Xmas Prison Blues - Seasick Steve (Steve Wold)
Unwed Fathers - John Prine  & Bobby Braddock
Lovesick Blues - Cliff Friend & Irving Mills - performed by Hank Williams Sr.
...and my favorite....and perhaps the most famous:
He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones

I am getting depressed just reading this list...oh yeah....Let's not forget "Danny Boy"

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" has got to be the best country song ever written Jeff. I saw George sing it at the Nelsonville Music Festival last year.  His voice was shot but he still had the crowd screaming.  Funny, although its one of my favorite songs, I've never tried playing it.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

It's not a depressing song, but the mashup of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" always makes me cry. I don't think I've ever been able to get through singing it without choking up. The line, "I see friends shaking hands/Saying 'How do you do?"/They're really saying/ 'I love you'" just knocks me down. I don't know why . . . I guess it's about  how people don't always come right out and say how they really feel, but inside they've got this strong bond of love for one another.