Topic: 2012 Nelsonville Music Festival

Got back last night from the Nelsonville Music Festival (Nelsonville, OH).  58 bands played over the 4 days. It was hot during the day but nights were pretty cold camping.  My favorites were Woody Pines, Shovels & Rope and the Tillers.  Also high on my list was Jorma Kaukonen, Andrew Bird, Todd Burge and Jordan O'Jordan.  On Sunday morning the Ohio University Symphony Orchestra played a composition by Mark O'Conner that featured the violin and consisted of 13 movements representing the origin of folk music in Ireland, its traveling across the ocean to the New World, the journey of the music from New England down into the southern Appalachians and then on to Memphis, Chicago and Texas and the changes to the musical styles along the way.  Well done and really fascinating.  Also on Sunday the Flying Clouds of South Carolina (gospel group) had the crowd jumpin' and shoutin'. Did a little fireside jamming and picking in the late evenings but mostly just enjoyed hearing all the different bands and styles of music.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: 2012 Nelsonville Music Festival

Sounds like it would be tough to beat a long weekend spent like that.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude