Topic: Tell Us About Your Gigs - a resurrected SouthPaw41L thread

I searched 25+ pages to find the old thread by Southpaw41L to no avail, so I though I would re-start his epic thread. I'm sure the older members remember the thread, but for the benefit of the newer members a little background:

Southpaw41L is my good friend Toney Hall and a former moderator of this fine forum. There was a thread here started by Southpaw in which he would post his gigging stories (including songs played) and encouraged others to share theirexperiences as well. Toney is a full time musician, a fantastic Dad and a good a man as I have ever met. After years of sharing moderator duties here at chordie, I found myself relocating for work to the St. Pete, Florida area - very close to Toney's location.

I still consider myself a beginner even though I am almost 6 years in at this guitar experiment. Toney plays a regular Sunday afternoon gig only 2 miles from my home and he has offered and encouraged me to sit in during his breaks. Although playing in public was never one of my goals, after 6 or 8 times now I can say it has been nothing but fun!

Anyway - the real purpose here is to resurrect and re-build Toney's old thread that may encourage others and give some ideas as to what songs go over well, and not so well. Personally, I'd like a history of my songs played so that I do not repeat songs too often and can continue growing my set list (I've got a song book 3" thick of which I feel I do about 4 songs worthy of playing " in public".

Today was tough - I had to follow a full out jam that included Toney on guitar, the bar owner on vocals a guy on mando plus a percussionist doing Marshall Tucker's "Can't You See". The whole bar was rockin' to that, then Toney announces a break and I've got to follow THAT - solo just me and my guitar? Thanks Toney. LOL

My "mini-set" today consisted of  "I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink" - Merle haggard; "Honky Tonk Woman" -Stones; "Creep" - Radiohead; "Cumbersome" - Seven Mary Three; "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" - Leadbelly and finished with Roger accompanying on mandolin and Toney on djembe doing "Steal My Kisses" by Ben Harper.

My 8th time "on stage" and they have gotten better each time!

Please add your experiences folks!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Tell Us About Your Gigs - a resurrected SouthPaw41L thread

Tops,sorry I can not help you with an expierence,been sinc I was ateen that I last did a band thing

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I had two tough gigs. One was when I played at Buddy Guy's bar, opening for a friend of mine. We were young and inexperienced and had no business being there. The stage sat atop a power transformer for the subway so you could hear nothing but line hum in the monitors. We are nervous. About to go on. My buddy walks up as we finish tuning and says "dont get nervous but Buddy is here."

Worst show I ever played.

Second worst was when I was coughing up a lung from mild pneumonia in between songs. That was gross. Voice was shot within an hour.

Did he (Buddy)  have any kind words for ya when you got done?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Baldguitardude wrote:

I had two tough gigs. One was when I played at Buddy Guy's bar, opening for a friend of mine. We were young and inexperienced and had no business being there. The stage sat atop a power transformer for the subway so you could hear nothing but line hum in the monitors. We are nervous. About to go on. My buddy walks up as we finish tuning and says "dont get nervous but Buddy is here."

Worst show I ever played.

Second worst was when I was coughing up a lung from mild pneumonia in between songs. That was gross. Voice was shot within an hour.

bgd what a place too goof up at!, but I would be scared and nervious if buddy guy was there,you are lucky meeting him.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey there! I just did a gig this past sunday at a gradutation party for my friend's sister and it went really well. About 30 to 40 people there.
It was my first time being at a graduation party. Lots of food and sports. LOL Had a great time.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

Buddy left before we were done. It did not go well.

Worst gigs...

Well, there was the time we got all tuned up using our electronic magic tuners, started to play, and discovered that the guitar player's was set a whole step down because he was goofing around in open D before the gig.  That was... interesting.

But the worst was about a year ago, and we are loading in.  I got a call from a buddy I hadn't seen in a while and just assumed he was calling to let me know he was showing up.  Instead, he was calling to let me know that a close mutual friend had killed his wife and then himself a few hours ago.  That was probably the only time I've ever considered just not going on.  But I did, because there was nothing else to do.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]