1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-06-22 14:29:40)

Topic: Facts 5

Strange we have already reached episode 5 in season 1. I repeat that I love to hear something strange from other people. I know, you can loose a lot of time, and I know it takes a lot of time, but I am not longer working, so I do have time. I don't want for you "dear chordians" that you spend an hour sitting in front of your PC, to answer or to post a list. But I should be glad if you mention even 1 fact, or if you agree or disagree with the facts. I am just like you, maybe a little bit crazier, but I should love questions, and almost everything I post, can be checked on your internet, just put the name in a search engine. The only unpleasant thing of those searches are the way you put your words, I've seen it already a lot of times, you search for something, let's say concerning voting, you don't find results, but if you change your phrase, you will get a lot of sites. So here's today's list.
ONE HIT WONDERS:
BANDS WHO HAD 1 BIG HIT and maybe a few non-hits.
- Groove Is In The Heart      Dee Lite (1990)
- 96 years            "?" and the mysterians.  "?" seems to use this symbol in stead of his own name, which was MARK, I think.
- Black Betty          Ram Jam. It is a copy of an old afro-american work song. LEADBELLY used this song, I have it in a big box: 100 years music from sony, and he is just singing and tapping with his feet to accompany him. More, it is possible that the song was already song on the fields in the 18th century. ( for that I have to dig deeper in history).
- Don't Fear The reaper     Blue Oyster Cult
- Spirit in the Sky  (1969)        Norman Greenbaum. I loved that song a lot, and I couldn't find other songs of Norman Greenbaum ( don't confuse the man with Peter Greenbaum, better known as Peter GREEN, the man who wrote black magic women, albatross, man of the world, yes the most important musician in the band he started with Mick Fleetwood= FLEETWOOD MAC, in the sixties. He left Fleetwood, had psychiatric problems, and started to give almost all his money to others) so I looked at Amazon.com and yes, a CD from that man. I was really surprised to hear that spirit in the sky was almost the only "electric" song on that album, it was more "folk"
- In the year 2525    Zager and Evans.
I have a few other names, I never heard about them, so I just give an example like the song Turning Japanese  The Vapors are a British New Wave Band active from 1979-1981 ( Are there fellow members who know this group, and song(s).
Also a song called Mickey by a certain Toni Basil in 1982
In the same category we can put maybe THE ZOMBIES, who splitted before their first album was on the market, containing a lot of great songs, like "she's not there"
Please I appreciate every kind of help, as long as you don't loose time on the subjects. I have plenty of time, but I am convinced that there are a lot more facts than I think, or post.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Facts 5

Hi Guitardocphil.
Otis Reading wrote and Sung "Respect" But in my humble opinion  "Aretha Franklin"  Made her very own of this song! with the way she sang and handled the melody!
Have you any other Comparisons on this Topic? If so i would like to hear them!
Thank You
Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

3 (edited by VirginiaK 2007-06-24 22:12:58)

96 Tears.  (The song is about crying 96 tears).  Wow, where'd you dig that title up from?  I remember this song from when I was a kid.  I loved it. Also, the band name is "Question Mark and the Mysterians".  That's why the search engine likes the " ? ".

Ya know, question--mysterious...   get it?  Maybe the leader's name was Mark and they thought that was boring.

Turning Japanese by the Vapors was  a big hit  (its a great track) - it was at the time that New Wave was big and the Vapors were a Mod Band. Had they released that track a year or so later they would have been caught up in a resurgence of interest in Mod but as it was they failed to capitalise on the sucess of their single.

Spirit in the Sky was covered in the UK by Doctor and the Medics in the 1980s  who added electric guitar  - it was a huge No 1.  Like Norman it was a One hit wonder. Doctor and the Medics never had another big hit

Other one hit wonders include "nothing compares to U" by sinnead o 'connor. she was imo very talented but for some reason never surpassed this song -written by Prince

John Sebastian from the "Lovin' Spoonfull"  made a series of shows about the history of rock and roll, and in one of the episodes, he concentrated on one-hit wonders.  There were a lot of them.  I can't remember them though; it's hard to
remember band names when they were only famous for one song.   I do seem to remember one he mentioned: Gloria Gaynor, who's only hit was "I will survive". 

"In The Year 2525".  I remember that one.  I liked the harmonies.

How about two from the 80's:
Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Our House - Madness

Going back even further to the 60's:

Blood Red River by The Silkie

Michelle by the Overlanders

Why Do You Treat Me Like You Do? by The Overlanders

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Edgefan wrote:

Our House - Madness

Madness had a dozen or so UK top ten hits - which is pretty huge - and Dexy's had at least three - which is also creditable

its possible of course that the US didn't take these bands to heart in the same way as us Brits.

johncross21 wrote:
Edgefan wrote:

Our House - Madness

Madness had a dozen or so UK top ten hits - which is pretty huge - and Dexy's had at least three - which is also creditable

its possible of course that the US didn't take these bands to heart in the same way as us Brits.

Hey John,
I do remember one other from Madness that was kind of on the verge of being a hit over here, "One Step Beyond" I think it was?  Correct me if I'm wrong on the title.  Neither band scored another really big hit over here like the two that I mentioned.  I cringed the other day when some comercial came on t.v. and they were using a bastardized version of "Our House" as their jingle.  The song is too good for that.  No offense intended to all the Dexy's and Madness fans on your side of the pond.
Peace,
EF

10 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-06-29 12:32:14)

That's why I love all the opinions: see ROBBIE WILLIAMS: SUPER GOD in Europe, BUT VERY SMALL IN USA, sure people will now him there, but a minority.
Oasis: They tried at least a few times to score "great" hits in the USA.
You can compare it with the "IMPACT" of MICHAEL BOLTON in Europe.
DON'T FORGET THAT EUROPE has a lot of potential buyers. BELGIUM: 10.000.000 THE NETHERLANDS: 16.000.000  GERMANY 80.000.000 GREAT BRITAIN 70.000.000 FRANCE 70.000.000, Only these countries together have more or less the USA population. For French Songs; a lot of Canadians buy European music as well. Also don't forget the other countries, POLAND, SCANDINAVIA, see world map, I am to lazy today.

I will add a little "quiz" question. Queen, has got many beautiful songs, they had it "all" hits succes. But why were they twice as popular compared to even Led Zeppelin, and other great names in your southern part: SOUTH AMERICA. Give it a try, it is a very good question to solve.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Phil,
Oasis' "What's the Story Morning Glory" album (or CD for the youngsters) was pretty big over here.  They had 3 or 4 hits off of it.  After that though you're right, they kinda fell off the face of the earth.  I have no idea why Queen was so big in South America.  What was the reason?
EF

wat about phyllis nelson move closer and bobby mc ferrin dont worry be happy and not forgetting timmy mallets itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini llf

problems are only solutions in work clothes smile