Topic: Quotes: Where did they come from. Why you use them.

A lot of us have a quote on their post`s. Some are from famous people.Some I would imagine are self thought up(for lack of a better way of putting it). Where did the quote come from and what does it mean to you. Mine "ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH" is a book by Dr Lee Lipsenthal. I have never read the book myself,But it basically means to treat every day like it`s your last. I first heard it from my greatest influence and idol. The late Warren Zevon. He said it on his last appearance on the David Letterman show. It always stood out in my mind and I use it all the time. So to everyone "Enjoy every sandwich". Make today a great day.I have a lot to be thankful for and I try to remember it all the time. Nothing to do with food or sandwiches.    Where did you all get your quotes? How and why, what significance?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

2 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-06-06 10:11:56)

Re: Quotes: Where did they come from. Why you use them.

"One bourbon, one scotch and one beer" from the inimitable George Thorogood, I just love the song.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Mine is not original. I read it on a list with others on an e-mail.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Mines from John cage

deadstring wrote:

Mine is not original. I read it on a list with others on an e-mail.

Bob Marley was the first to use it.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

My first came from calling Russell Harding the King of the Mutants for writing an entire song comprised of nothing but B-shaped chords specifically for the purpose of harassing me.  I had just declared the B chord to be a mutants-only chord.  Upon hearing that he was King of the Mutants, Russell cyber shouted "Long live the mutants!"   I couldn't agree more.  Thank God there are people who can play the guitar as well as Russell. 

The second came from a thread in which I was talking about hearing a recording of myself singing and how awful it was.  Mekidsmom, who sings beautifully, gave the advice that "If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers, it'll be awesome."  I have endeavored to do just that and by golly my singing has improved. 

The third was instruction given to me by an orchestra leader when I played bass in a playhouse orchestra.  I was a bit timid on one of the songs, and he wanted the walls to vibrate.  He told me to play loud and forcefully so that if I messed up it would sound like everyone else was wrong. 

I don't recall what my fourth is right now, so I'm going to have to post, read it, then abuse my Moderator magic powers to come back and edit my post to add the explanation.

EDIT TO ADD: That came from a thread in which I had been practicing one of Russell's songs, "A Few To Many".  It contains a B chord, which by now we know is an evil chord which only mutants can play.  So I switched in a B7, but because I know some people are touchy about such things, I asked Russell if it was OK to do that.  He said it was, and then granted me general B chord amnesty (which apparently is a power vested in the King of the Mutants). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Buzzwagon wrote:

"One bourbon, one scotch and one beer" from the inimitable George Thorogood, I just love the song.

Jerry

George Thorogood's version is best as far as I'm concerned, but the song and the quote was originally John Lee Hooker's. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nKvBo719Y

Or if you prefer an older recording... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNknFH6a … re=related

- Zurf

EDIT TO ADD SECOND VIDEO LINK

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I just found mine in a book of quotes somewhere and liked it.  I love good quotes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS[1] (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970) was a British philosopher, logician, mathematician, historian, and social critic (Wkikpedia)

I read this quote as a teenager in the early 70's and the Vietnam era and it stayed with me as a very stark truth about the futility and waste of war, as well as the little play on the meanings of left and right.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

A lot of us have a quote on their post`s. Some are from famous people.Some I would imagine are self thought up(for lack of a better way of putting it). Where did the quote come from and what does it mean to you. Mine "ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH" is a book by Dr Lee Lipsenthal. I have never read the book myself,But it basically means to treat every day like it`s your last. I first heard it from my greatest influence and idol. The late Warren Zevon. He said it on his last appearance on the David Letterman show. It always stood out in my mind and I use it all the time. So to everyone "Enjoy every sandwich". Make today a great day.I have a lot to be thankful for and I try to remember it all the time. Nothing to do with food or sandwiches.    Where did you all get your quotes? How and why, what significance?

Mine change frequently, my current one comes from the band HELLYEAH.  and the song Cowboy Way. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrZeDGNOIc&ob=av2e

Its cool and its also in honor of Vinni Pauls Brother "Dimebag" Darryle Abbot who was killed onstage in Ohio.  His favorite drink was a shot of Crown or Seagrems with a splash of Coke.  They called it a Black Tooth Grin (stolen from a Megadeath song)

As for a life quote,,
To thine own self be true.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

My original quote was: The secret to self esteem is to set your expectations so low to the point that they are already met.That way you can take pride in your mediocrity. From the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. Just thought it was funny because I was always happy with good enough

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.