Topic: The Spirit of Rock and Roll

This guy may not have the best guitar or the best grasp of English, but he still knows how to rock!

http://www.kontraband.com/videos/30154/ … es-To-You/

Re: The Spirit of Rock and Roll

MB He did a good job considering his age and looks like one of his strings is hanging down. Thanks for sharing with us.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by bensonp 2012-05-08 21:18:05)

I was laughing all the way through.  The man has rythym.  Good for him.  And good for you for sharing.  He can play at one of my parties anytime. And it is like I always say, it's not how good you are, its how much fun you are having while you're doing it, that counts.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

M.B. thank you, just what I needed after a long day. I agree with you, he does know how to rock.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

5,6,7, hark arouk alak!! Loved it!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the video. When I watch it, I keep thinking of this older man as a young kid, living somewhere in communist Russia, and hearing rock music for the first time on Voice of America Radio (we've been studying the Cold War in history class!). You can just feel how subversive something like "Rock Around The Clock" must have been. I love this video of Bill Haley and His Comets playing that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zju6KbP_ … re=related

Don't think the old guy in the first video kinda looks like Bill Haley--like with his hair style?

The only reason he can get away with singing like that is because he's old and crazy.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

it's kinda nice to know that when i reach his age i might still be able to perform (hopefully better than this!) but still....though i am a little worried about the camera person, they are either dancing or they've got terminal shakes...aw, bless old age dont come alone!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

cool. liked both videos,  good one to learn,   love that big bass guitar, too cool

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Just give him a couple of pints of vodka and his trusty old 5 string acoustski and he be ready for his slot on "Russia got Talent"
I wonder if he's ever translated the words into Russian?
Does it matter. He don't care...  big_smile

M.B. wrote:

This guy may not have the best guitar or the best grasp of English, but he still knows how to rock!

http://www.kontraband.com/videos/30154/ … es-To-You/

That's all you gotta do. So many players never achieve fame but they can regularly light up an audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

Chords are C, Am F and G. Is that a good key for you to sing it, M.B.?

toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Watch it zguitar, I'm old and crazy as well.  Oh, I see what you mean.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Toots,

I can sing it in that key, but I can't sing it like the guys in the video. I'm more like Minnesota Lutheran girls choir. Or as my choir teacher says, "M.B. you have a big smile, but a small voice, better put you in front."

Russians have a long history with RockNRoll. There has been a discussion amongst historians as to the influence of the Beatles on the Soviet boomers, and the Soviet reaction to them. They were banned from legitimate sales in the former USSR until around 1978, but Soviet kids idolized them, bootlegging millions of copies of Beatles songs recorded from Radio Free Europe, and Radio Luxemburg, which were a hot commodity amongst Soviet youth despite severe sanctions for being caught with copies.

I saw a brilliant documentary called "How the Beatles Rocked the Soviet Union", about the phenomenon. Beatlemania was alive and growing in the USSR, fully ten years after the breakup of the band. A lot of the "aged" rockers were from that group that defied Soviet authority by listening to Beatles tunes.

The hypothesis is that this common nose-thumbing at Soviet authority in the mid-sixties to mid-seventies allowed Soviet youth to breathe the fresh air of freedom at a time when freedom was a scarce commodity in that place. Even Gorbachev, the first "next-generation" premier, professed his love of Beatles music, from the time of his youth.

The old guy is one of those Soviet Beatlemaniacs, I am certain.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

M.B. wrote:

Toots,

I can sing it in that key, but I can't sing it like the guys in the video. I'm more like Minnesota Lutheran girls choir. Or as my choir teacher says, "M.B. you have a big smile, but a small voice, better put you in front."

M.B., Until you can get a big sound acoustically, you might learn to sing through a microphone. Crank it up and let the amp do the heavy work.
All you have to do is practice cool sounds and cool tunes.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:
M.B. wrote:

Toots,

M.B., Until you can get a big sound acoustically, you might learn to sing through a microphone. Crank it up and let the amp do the heavy work.
All you have to do is practice cool sounds and cool tunes.
toots

Toots that did not work for me all it did was scare my poor cat's,like a vacum cleaner would!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think the bottle of booze on the bench may have contributed to his performance,truthfully I'm glad he's having a good time and enjoying himself but if I ever play that bad I hope someone shoots me.

"Growing old is not for sissies"