Topic: Unusual chord shape, or just too many beers?

Hi gang.  Just got back from a nice vacation trip.  After visiting a number of bars one evening we stopped in a place where a pretty talented guitar player was up on the stage.

I sat close so I could watch him and occasionally I THINK I saw his fretting hand doing this:

E:  fret 3 (middle)
A:  fret 2 (index)
D:  fret 4 (ring)
G:  fret 4 (pinky)
B & e:  ?? -  Couldn't tell what he was doing on the B and high e, if anything.  I assume he was muting them.

I would call this a B5/G.  Chord finders likely have other names for it.

Anyway, I didn't have a guitar handy, but when I finally got to one and tried it out it just didn't sound right, meaning it didn't really sound like I thought it should have in the context of the songs he was playing. 

So I'm thinking I didn't really see what I thought I saw.  Again, there were several beers involved.

The only way I can describe it is that to me it sounds a lot LESS useful than he made it sound.  He seemed to use it a lot, all up and down the fretboard.  (I just used the position above as an example.)

So, the question is, have you seen or used this shape before, or was it just a case of beer goggles?

Or both?  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Unusual chord shape, or just too many beers?

I tried it out on my guitar,did not do well and did not see a chord I was familier with,maybe you should blame it on the beers!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Was the guitarist using an alternate tuning?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree with Zurf, maybe he was in drop beer tuning. I think it's tuned ABEEER.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

G major 7 but a horrid voicing. Notes are:

G
B
F#
B

Damn cell. Better voicing is

X
X
X

Zurf wrote:

Was the guitarist using an alternate tuning?

Good question.  I didn't think about that, but now that I have, I don't think so.  He also mixed in familiar open and barre shapes, which likely wouldn't have worked in alternate tuning.

It was probably the beer.  I should have snapped a photo with my phone.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

zguitar wrote:

...maybe he was in drop beer tuning. I think it's tuned ABEEER.

star star star star star

That's just genius.  Well done!

Was it the "Hendrix" chord? E7(#9)  it can go up and down the fret board.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)