Topic: Playing Styles

I am an average acoustic player.  I know most basic chords.  I know basic strum patterns, can do some basic finger picking, double base note country rhythems etc.  Can play and sing most any thing I try.  But I am at the point where I need to add to the basics to not sound boring and monotonous.  What should be the next step?  What would be the best playing style for a solo guitar/vocalist performance to incorporate runs, infills, and melodies.  Can't learn them all.  Would pick or finger be better.  Kind of stuck here.  thanks

Re: Playing Styles

Welcome here blountscreekman. you might try too start learning scales. They can lead you into playing riffs and infills.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dino is right about learning scales.  A lot of us here have gotten kind of bored with just chords, so we find songs with lead intros and spruce up the chords with that.  Find a song you like with some lead licks and use them with your chords.  It spruces up your playing.  And its fun.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks guys.  Sounds like good advice.  Will give it a try.

Welcome to chordie blountscreekman smile I have to ask...  You from NC?  I take an annual fishing trip to Blounts Creek next to Chocowinity, NC....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Actually yes.  What a small world.