Topic: Wanting new Guitar

I am thinking about a new Guitar such as an HD 28 or another D size Martin or Gibson. I do a lot of playing at home and at friends houses so I'm wondering if these typs of guitars have to much boom or volumn for that small venue stuff.  Anybody like to comment on this?

Re: Wanting new Guitar

There is no such thing as too much boom or volume in an acoustic guitar (especially if you have a voice like mine!). Seriously, alter your picks or strumming - Volume is a good thing - use your fingers or even a felt pick if you want the guitar to be mellow.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I am saving up money for a Martin D28 model,I am not sure if that is the same as the one you want,I have played one at guitar center and they do not have too much boom,I think it would be up to the player. I will be using mine at home.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I love my HD28.  I play it at home by myself, at bar-b-ques, at get together at friends and I take it camping and play well into the evening.  It is a great all around guitar.  Don't worry about its deep base sound.  It is welcomed wherever.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Bob,

After doing alot of outdoor playing through the years , I have found the great outdoors will swallow up the sound of acoustic guitars. I have several acoustics and for outdoor playing and jamming I find the HD-28 is a very good choice and it will be heard. I like it strumming, picking or fingerpicking it is an all around great guitar. It isn't the easiest playing guitar I own, but the sound is soooo good smile

Later, Wayne P

6 (edited by bobwill 2012-06-15 16:28:56)

Thank you folks for your in-put, I always go to the Vids by Pete and Wayne, i love to hear those Martins and that Gibson of Wlbayes. Wayne could you explain further your comment about not the easiest to play?  Is the physical size very noticeable when playing?

Bob,

My HD-28 has the heavy finish on the back of the neck and gets sticky , it is like a thick varnish , i am not sure what the technical name of it is. I have the action as low as can be without alot of buzzing going on. It is also a long scale guitar and for me short scale guitars are easier to play. Long scales result in higher tension and alot of folks including me love the sound.
  Martin sells the Om series guitars and the 000 series the Om's are long scale and the 000 are short , and that is about all the difference in them. 25.4'' and 24.9'' doesnt sound like much but to me the short scales play a little easier.

Thanks, Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wayne, I understand long and short scale Guitars, i have a Martin 000  set up very low and it plays like a dream and, i did wonder if i would see much difference in a long scale. I don't understand wood finishes but i see that it would cause a drag.  Thanks to all that commented, that sound of the D 28 i played at the shop is still in my head. I don't think it is going away.     bob.

Bobwill, Wayne is correct on the neck finish on the Martins. I have a D-41 and a D-35 and really love them, but the neck finish does cause the sticking issue. I know it's something Martin has done for years but they should look into trying some other options. I know you can keep a rag with poloish handy that will eliminate some of the sticky feel but not all. I know when you sweat a little that causes the most drag on the neck. Anyway don't let that deter you from a great instrument.

Joe

Bob,
The sound of a HD- 28 is in my head to , I have been away from mine for about a month and a half and I just played it and Hands down kicks butt when compared to my other guitars. I have played several Martins at Guitar stores that have satin necks recently , I don't know if that is an option with the D-28 or HD-28 but you may want to look at that. It really is a small issue , I feel lucky to have such a wonderful guitar.

Later, Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

11 (edited by baynton90 2012-08-24 17:51:01)

I am searching new guitar. I want to play guitar and I like so much that merchant account. Well, if any body want to sale his guitar?? So please contact me..

baynton90 wrote:

I am searching new guitar. I want to play guitar and I like so much that. Well, if any body want to sale his guitar?? So please contact me..

baynton, you need too start your own post tooget your subject noticed,not on the tail end of someones post. We have an area here for things for sale,you should to be more specific as too how much you have too spend,if you want an acoustic or electric and what kind of you  want too play and your expierance level, These will help us to help you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman