Topic: Been offered a paid job - Help!!!

Hey folks.

For the past 6 months, I have been visiting a pub for jamming nights, nearly every week.  The whole place has a blusy kinda vibe, so I have tailored my music to what I think suits the place...lots of Rolling Stones.  Everyone plays sitting down and it is smoky and a bit rough in the place but a nice crowd of people, both English and Spanish (sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Spain but am English).   

About a month ago, I decided to play more upbeat songs while standing to up the energy and this has gone down very well.  I am doing a lot of Stones, Beatles, U2, Oasis - I really feel I am getting better.  I should also say, I play chords and sing - no lead and no backing tracks.

I have been approached by a bar owner who runs a daytime bar in the town.  He has asked me to play there on a Sunday afternoon - to give a one-man show if you like.  I find this so flattering, but it scares the hell out of me.  The bar is right on the paseo (beach promenade).  The place will be busy in the Summer with families and a less rough and ready crowd - and lots of passers-by.   I don't think banging out loud rocky music will be what is required, so I will have to change how I play and sing to something quieter and change some of my material.   

I have never performed for money and while I am happy to be asked, I am also terrified of failing.  It is to me, a lot different to performing for fun.

Has anyone any advice or tips?

Re: Been offered a paid job - Help!!!

A bit of advice if the club owner liked what you were doing enough to offer you a gig why change anything just do what you were doing otherwise it will sound half assed and you wont have your heart and soul into it NEVER water down your music just to please everybody thats impossible, as far as money dont be shy if you have to  ask what his budget is. I myself would ask for at least $150.00

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I totally agree with Russell.  I was trhinking the same thing as I read your story.  He hired you for what you were playing, so why change.  Keep the same style of music and add a few more different tunes for fill ins.  The crowd will let you know what they like.  And good luck.  It sounds like fun.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I agree. He hired you for what you were doing not for what he wants you to do. (Well sort of) Why should the fact that money is involved make things any different. Do what you do and you will be fine. It's not like it's your VERY first time.

Knock 'em dead!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!  That's neat.  Enjoy the experience!!!!  I can't wait until I have enough nerve to play outside my own home.

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

6 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-06-18 03:25:51)

vicswitchblade wrote:

Has anyone any advice or tips?

Hello, vic.  First off, I admire anyone who can play in front of a crowd.  My family and friends say i should do that but I don't feel like I'm good enough (nor is it likely that I will EVER think I am good enough), but that's just me.  I always tip "buskers" because I admire their nerve.

So, having never played in front of a crowd, i can't offer advice on that, but I have been in audiences countless times.  Russell gives good advice, i.e., play what you want to play, but if you really want to engage the crowd and increase your "revenue" (tips), be prepared to play requests as well.  Get a few good (thick) fake books to cover a myriad of songs, so you might at least attempt to play some songs that you don't know if somebody asks you to.

Good luck, and be sure to stop back in and tell us how your job is going.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

hi vic.

so first off, i do play every week in front of a crowd in pubs clubs etc, back home where it rains a lot!.

the owner obviously liked what you were doing and he probably had regulars coming in saying how good you were....so easy peasy lemonade, go for it, play what you know, if it dont work he'll sack you so why worry?

i've been to spain a lot, benidorm mainly, and the acts there are not as impressive as i was led to believe. i wish i had the guts to chuck everything in and move out there...so good luck, we are always here to help in any way we can...just ask

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies and encouragement.  I am going to give it a go - I told him I will do the first one for free to see how it works out.

Now I am thinking about song choices.  Like I said earlier, I bang them out loud usually - Stones, U2, Beatles etc. but this is a daytime bar with women drinking coffees, eating tapas, that sort of thing.  I will have to tone it down and concentrate on more well-known songs.  Got to get learning quickly!

Thanks again for the advice.

Vic.

You just have to think about what ladies like.  Romance, love, things like that.  Those kind of songs will pull them in.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I agree with Russell. The guy asked you to play ,he for sure likes what he hears from you. Don't change a thing but maybe add a few softer tunes. Don't think of it as a job just because you are getting paid. Go in with confidence that what you do is enjoyed by the bar manager. Enjoy this experience. One last thing, when you get there sit down and play like no one is watching and rock there socks off. I have confidence you can !!!!

Joe

All good advice above,you should get some decent pay,right now I understand Spains unemployment rate is around 25%.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

1. Listen to Russell
2. Listen to Phill
3. That's about it, really, but these lists usually have three or ten items. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude