1 (edited by naolslager 2012-06-30 08:13:58)

Topic: Layover in Amsterdam

I arrived in Amsterdam early this morning but not in time to make my connection. Next flight to Atlanta is at 5pm so me and my co-worker are going into town for the day. What a hoot!
dj

Re: Layover in Amsterdam

Sounds like fun nao,don't get any big gas moments over there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Home again as of late last night. A great two weeks outside the U.S. but very busy. I do have a cool story about a band we stumbled upon. More later and in a separate post. I know you can hardly wait!

Glad to hear you're home safe.  I'm curious to read about your travels.  smile  First though, you probably need a little rest!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by naolslager 2012-07-17 00:16:29)

I spent two weeks in Tbilisi, Georgia in June. It was here my fellow travelers and I stumbled upon the musical group Les Poissons Voyageurs which I think translates into English as The Traveling Fish? Just a guess but that should be pretty close.

We were in search of a dinner spot and as we walked along a street lines with cafes, etc. we heard this band playing. We were instantly drawn to them and sat down at the table next to them for dinner. Over the course of the evening, dinner, and a few adult beverages we struck up a conversation with them. We learned two were French and two were French-Canadian and travel Europe in a white bus converted into a hovel on wheels.

The story they told was they too were walking the street albeit while lugging around two guitars, amplifier, accordian - 26lbs, I later found out, and an upright bass, when they were approached by the cafe owner. He told them if they would play a song he’d give them a beer. Well that turned into several beers, dinner, and multiple shots of vodka.

We enjoyed the conversation and the music. In fact, this night is what I like to call one of those magical nights which will be long-remembered and difficult to improve on. After being told they’d have to stop playing for the night so surrounding apartment-dwellers could get some sleep they asked for just one more song. They played an outstanding version of “Wagon Wheel"  by Old Crow Medicine Show. Fantastic.

I was able to record this last song with my digital camera. The video is too dark but the audio is faithful and brings back fond memories every time I listen to it.

I cannot figure out how to load the video/audio but here's a photograph I think captures the evening pretty well.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n-ovoLWBLEI/UASrpGuKrrI/AAAAAAAAEUo/uOv2xVtXgKE/s640/DSC02663.JPG

Very cool nao - sounds like a lot of fun!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Looks like you are having a good time there nao!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Foreign band in a foreign country.  Sounds great.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

But speaking and singing in English! You gotta love it.
dj

Surprisingly most of the local bands I've seen in Georgia (the Country not the State) play American music and sing in English. They don't always get the words right but the music and sound is faithful. Quite good actually.
dj

I've heard a lot of European bands in Europe over my career and there are a lot of good ones out there.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.