Topic: Basic Technique ??

hi
I started with the guitar a year ago and know my way arounf the neck reasonablu well including the barre chords , not much done on the strumming part , doene the basic waltz strumming and the general d d u .. d d u . which do not suite a llot of songs . My question is if the correct strumming is used for a song wil that generaly improve hand speed on neck or is there a technigue for that or wil just simple practising over and over and over again help with hand speed .

any advise please

Re: Basic Technique ??

Practice is your only route to smooth transitions and steady patterns.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

what type of music are you wanting to play?  an Zurf is correct, practice your scales  and strum with what you feel comfortable with.  I like to alternate between working scales and switching chords and mixing them up.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

+1 for Zurf's suggestions.

To add, you have to work on one or the other. It's almost like you switch back and forth between strumming and chords. You start with one, when you get good at it you work on the other, get good, then back to the first and so on.

check this out for strumming:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 1482366891

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Great link Z!!!  Had not seen that one.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Some songs you can strum to the words of the songs and get away with it. I do this with an Eagles song (Take it easy) and Pink Floyd's Mother. they sound fine. One strumming pattern that fits many songs well is: d d u u d u. Not too hard to learn.

How to be able to learn at a much faster rate and understand the mechanics behind playing the guitar?

ou must first memorize the placement of the fingers on the fret board to be able to do the chords. This can take some time and beginners must be patient. Learning the guitar takes time and dedication and cannot be done overnight.