Topic: What made you choose an acoustic guitar over an electric guitar.

Besides the standards, "It's the best guitar to learn on" (ugh!) or that's all I could afford, I don't have electricty or an amp. What were determining factors for you that you choose to play only acoustic. I myself play both, no right or wrong answer just curious. I know "curiosity killed the cat" but "superstition brought it back".

Bootlegger.

Re: What made you choose an acoustic guitar over an electric guitar.

Hi Bootlegger,

For me the main reason I play my acoustic more than my electric is laziness. It is easier to pick up an acoustic to play than to plug in, switch on and set up the electric. I also like to fingerpick and that too is easier on the acoustic.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I prefer the sound of an acoustic, thats the only reason smile

That's a silly question.   My Epiphone Dot and my Fakocaster get along fine with the Hoffner Classic.   My POD and my Amp, on the other hand...  They have problems.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-06-18 00:00:27)

I must agree with Roger. I have my guitars on a stand  (both acoustic and electric) in the living room and it is just so much easier to pick up the acoustic whe the urge to play hits me

what a long strange trip it's been

I play acoustic strickley for kitchen jams. Good sounds come from an acoustic guitar and a blues harp.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Personaly I've owned both over the years, when I was younger the need for an electric guitar was important as the style of music I was playing in bands dictated that I play electric. Now the styles I play are very different. Mostly folk, blues, and acoustic rock, also I try my hand at classical. Yet lately I've been feeling the urge to start playing electric again. Probably because my son is a drummer and as I've been introducing him to older rock , Deep Purple, Zepplin, AC DC, etc. As I get back in toouch with this music I feel the need to play it.
The question of budgets also comes into play, when you have a young family your income is diverted from what you want to what they need. I have three children and now that they are older I can better afford the costs of an electric. With a good acoustic you can cover a large range of styles without the costs of amps, pedals and all the extras that go along with an electric. 
I just hope that I'll come across that old Telecaster like I used to have.....man, I never should have sold that ax! roll

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Mostly the reason that I play acoustic is that I don't have an electric. :-)
but I prefer the sound of an acoustic by alot.
If I could choose any guitar I'd probably opt for an acoustic electric.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

I own both an acoustic & an electric. As most people know, an electric is quite a bit easier to play (thinner strings since it has electronic amplification). However...there's a certain natural sound an acoustic produces that's hard to get with an electric. Not to mention...if you learn on an acoustic then go to an electric, it's a piece of cake. If you do it the other way, the transition can be tough. It's also quite nice to just be able to pick up my guitar anywhere in the house & start playing without having to setup by an amplifier.

[url=http://www.jamplay.com/]JamPlay.com[/url] - Online guitar lessons.

The first I had was an acoustic-- Then I got another & got it amplified - Great for gigs where you have a lot of people.  Then I made my first archtop-- Really loud without an amp. I may put in a Kent Armstrong at some point-- but I really like the acoustic sound over the electric.  I was at a Billy Joe Shaver concert last week-- His guitar player's electric died & he had to switch to an amped acoustic-- WHAT a difference- Even amplified, the good acoustics just sound better

I just like how acoustic guitars look.  When I was younger I thought I'd always like to shred on an electric.  Now that I'm a litter older (I guess 35 is a little older) and just starting to learn, I think the acoustic is a little more "old school".  They seem a little more tied to the roots of the instrument.  Also, I think they are a little more challenging to learn on.  I must be a glutton for punishment!

I play acoustic guitar because it is pure vibrations. Just you and the instrument. Yes i may be somewhat of a hippy but there is somthing spiritual with the acoustic guitar!
IM not saying the electric guitar is a bad vibe, (I played electric for 20years-and still do) but it seems i am truly connected to the guitar when there are no cordes or eletricity between me and the instrument  (sorry for bad spelling!) thanks for letting me speak my mind (:

patrickjacques wrote:

I must agree with Roger. I have my guitars on a stand  (both acoustic and electric) in the living room and it is just so much easier to pick up the acoustic whe the urge to play hits me

YES!! That is the exact reason I want an acoustic!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Gives me an extra option for entertainment during powercuts!!

soo...... i play acoustic!!! which is easier, acoustic or electric??

I work in a high tech field with a lot of electronic and computer equipment. When I get home and want to play guitar, I choose acoustic because I don't want to deal with the equipment. If it has buttons, knobs, LEDs, LCDs, I don't want it around my guitar.  I suppose I am a guitar Luddite of sorts.

well, i play both electric and acoustic but i started and acoustic set ith a friend of mine because there were so many songs that were fun to convert.

You can play a lot of songs with an acoustic (or an electric) what made me choose it is it's a lot easier to just pick it up and start playing than to have to go through the whole process of plugging it in and stuff.  It's also funner and easier to learn on an acoustic than an electric.  ACOUSTICS ROCK!!!!

Shaylynn wrote:

You can play a lot of songs with an acoustic (or an electric) what made me choose it is it's a lot easier to just pick it up and start playing than to have to go through the whole process of plugging it in and stuff.  It's also funner and easier to learn on an acoustic than an electric.  ACOUSTICS ROCK!!!!

Actually that is a whole different can of you know what that has been opened on this forum a while back (per your statment it is easier to learn actully better to learn). I will take the funner part thought I play both.  I will do my runs on acoustic's to build up speed on my electrics.

Bootlegger,
Bootlegger guitars.

I always found that acoustics seem more personal and intimate than electrics. They're more pure. electrics need to be plugged in to things and need to be distorted to sound good, but an acoustic is just there. Nothing is changed, you just play it and it creates a beautiful sound. Acoustics strip music down ot it's basic element, thus making its beauty more prominent.

We All Shine On!!!

I like an acoustic because it's one piece of equipment.  It's simple. ...and it's fun to play with other people with acoustics around a campfire or just hanging out, entertaining friends. As someone mentioned in a previous post, it's more personal and intimate.

Esteban made it look so easy

wink

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

krhoades wrote:

wink

Dude!  Not being judgemental but your starting to worry me! lol

Bootlegger.

bootleger wrote:
krhoades wrote:

wink

Dude!  Not being judgemental but your starting to worry me! lol

Bootlegger.

smile he, he

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy