Topic: Still have goosebumps

Today I heard "Revolution" by The Beatles for the first time and it was so exciting I could hardly breath. That beginning with John Lennon screaming and the guitar going crazy--I didn't know The Beatles made songs like that, cuz I had only heard the lyrical and romantic ones . . . I know, I'm pretty clueless.

Could anyone tell me:

1. Is that John playing lead or George?
2. What kind of guitar and amp did they use?
3. How did they make that crunchy distortion?

All of a sudden I'm thinking . . . I gotta learn how to play electric guitar!

Re: Still have goosebumps

Lead wss Harrison.
I believe he was playing a Groetch(sp?) through a Marshall studio amp.
The distortion was probably a simple fuzz pedal.

It is is an outrageously cool song!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

They had many great songs after they found enlightenment in their later years recording.  It is indeed a great song.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

whitewater55 wrote:

Lead wss Harrison.
I believe he was playing a Groetch(sp?) through a Marshall studio amp.
The distortion was probably a simple fuzz pedal.

It is is an outrageously cool song!

Thanks for the info!  I've got to look up what a fuzz pedal is--sounds like fun.

M.B.two wrote:

Today I heard "Revolution" by The Beatles for the first time and it was so exciting I could hardly breath. That beginning with John Lennon screaming and the guitar going crazy--I didn't know The Beatles made songs like that, cuz I had only heard the lyrical and romantic ones . . . I know, I'm pretty clueless.

Could anyone tell me:

1. Is that John playing lead or George?
2. What kind of guitar and amp did they use?
3. How did they make that crunchy distortion?

All of a sudden I'm thinking . . . I gotta learn how to play electric guitar!

mb john had a coarse voice,you should listen to him do Twist and shout. He did play guitar better then people thought,when they did the rootop concert in england that was him doing the lead guitar with a epiphone on Get back.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The Beatles Rooftop concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzs3Ybt … ure=g-vrec

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks for the link, Pete--that was really wonderful.

bensonp wrote:

To this day it kills me that some banker called the cops and got the rooftop concert shut down. The last live appearance from the Beatles and some petty office worker had it stopped! That dude should be found and be the first inductee into the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Shame!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:
bensonp wrote:

To this day it kills me that some banker called the cops and got the rooftop concert shut down. The last live appearance from the Beatles and some petty office worker had it stopped! That dude should be found and be the first inductee into the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Shame!

I totally agree with that,theperson should have been flogged with old guitar strings too!! That was one of the best live (TV) shows I have ever seen.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Helter Skelter kicks some serious ass too.

Lifgrd wrote:

Helter Skelter kicks some serious ass too.

Wow! I can't believe this--I listened to Helter Skelter for the first time just yesterday and was blown away by it. Totally agree with you. I had no idea Paul McCartney was the father of Punk Rock!!

p.s. I don't really know anything about Punk, but Helter Skelter sounds like the way I imagine punk rock should sound.

12 (edited by dino48 2012-08-05 21:26:00)

mb I think when they wrote songs like that they were obligated too produce a certain amount of songs/albums,so alot of not sogood stuff got but into some albums,also I think they were doing drugs alot at the time. RE: HelterSkelter I still get goosebumps too when I see a video or here some of there music.

dino48 wrote:

mb I think when they wrote songs like that they were obligated too produce a certain amount of songs/albums,so alot of not sogood stuff got but into some albums,also I think they were doing drugs alot at the time. RE: HelterSkelter

Maybe they were, dino, but so many of the popular musicians that I've been deeply touched by have been known or rumored to take drugs (or alcohol).  From Hank Williams to Willy Nelson, Bob Dylan to Neil Young,  Brian Wilson to Kurt Cobain etc.  Of course, the list of people is much, much, longer.

Yep, most of the good ones do or did drugs during their climb to the top.  Maybe that's how they got there.  It certain'y didn't hury their music for the most part.

bensonp wrote:

Yep, most of the good ones do or did drugs during their climb to the top.  Maybe that's how they got there.  It certain'y didn't hury their music for the most part.

I do not think I have heard of any of the sixties and up rock artists who have not done drugs at some point.

Ok MB. I know you are young but...REALLY? I don't even like the Beatles and have heard those songs. Sigh....Today's yoot's!

bunbun wrote:

Ok MB. I know you are young but...REALLY? I don't even like the Beatles and have heard those songs. Sigh....Today's yoot's!

That was just mean. Don`t rain on her parade.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

M.B.  A fuzz peadle ca be picked up pretty cheep. and I will say,, if you dive into electric, hold on tight and love the ride.  you can stay pretty and sweet or open up your dard and aggressive side.  checkout the Crue version of helter skelter... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpk3llYo … ature=fvst  and a good inexpensive pedal,, http://www.walmart.com/ip/17655963?adid … mp;veh=sem  and you can go site to store on this. well made low price effects,  or this and it has all the basics you need for great fun, and you can not beat the price. + you can use your acoustic with a sound hole pick up and the EQ and reverb will be boss! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Behringer-Ped … gMethod=rr

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:
bunbun wrote:

Naw, that's ok, I thought it was funny in a sarcastic way. But seriously, when you think about all the influential music that has been made since the beginning of the rock era, how can anyone ever learn about it all? Thank goodness for youtube, cuz around here the classic rock station doesn't even come in until you drive out of the valley and dad only plays the polka station in the milking palor and barn (he swears the milch cows give more  if they listen to polka!) I don't have itunes or that stuff, so I depend on recommendations and happy surprises.

hi mb2, the beatles were known as the greatest little rock band as there were only 4 of them. they were known for playing VOX amps, i cant ever remember them playing MARSHALLS? i may be wrong. if you listen to their earlier albums, once you get past all the love-y dove-y stuff, there's a lot of raw rock and as the 60's drew on and heavy metal emerged you can hear the influence they had on that music too. most bands even nowadays will admit to beatle influence one way or another.

in my opinion, lennon went a little OTT in the 70's. and just to prove that mccartney is not all shmooze, have a listen to MEMORY ALMOST FULL, it's one of my favs.

PS why the change of name?  cows got the old one? lol

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Actually they ran the guitar straight in to the board and juiced it up with a couple mic preamps. smile

I find it both unbelievable but heartwarming that MB is just experiencing these songs. I am happy for her.

naolslager wrote:

I find it both unbelievable but heartwarming that MB is just experiencing these songs. I am happy for her.

Nao I feel the same way,hope she will continue too look at all kinds of music,I have found that they all have good and bad.

Phill Williams wrote:

hi mb2, the beatles were known as the greatest little rock band as there were only 4 of them. they were known for playing VOX amps, i cant ever remember them playing MARSHALLS? i may be wrong. if you listen to their earlier albums, once you get past all the love-y dove-y stuff, there's a lot of raw rock and as the 60's drew on and heavy metal emerged you can hear the influence they had on that music too. most bands even nowadays will admit to beatle influence one way or another.

in my opinion, lennon went a little OTT in the 70's. and just to prove that mccartney is not all shmooze, have a listen to MEMORY ALMOST FULL, it's one of my favs.

PS why the change of name?  cows got the old one? lol

Thanks for the additional information! No, the cows didn't get the old one LOL! Remember about a month ago, when they were having server problems?  I couldn't log in, so I ended up just getting a new account.

M.B.two wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:
bunbun wrote:

Naw, that's ok, I thought it was funny in a sarcastic way. But seriously, when you think about all the influential music that has been made since the beginning of the rock era, how can anyone ever learn about it all? Thank goodness for youtube, cuz around here the classic rock station doesn't even come in until you drive out of the valley and dad only plays the polka station in the milking palor and barn (he swears the milch cows give more  if they listen to polka!) I don't have itunes or that stuff, so I depend on recommendations and happy surprises.

It was all in fun. Truly sorry if it did not come across as such.

It is hard to hear even a small bit of the music that is out today. None of the Rock stations in my area of SoCal play any new music of what was referred to in the old days (Pre-1990) as Album Oriented Rock. If a band is not a hot seller then you will have a hard time hearing them on the radio. I cannot remember the last time I heard a new Rush song on the radio. It seems that even the "Classic Rock" stations have a very limited playlist now days. There is one station out of San Bernardino/Redlands called KCAL. When I first moved to the area they were the station to go to for new AOR music or even just new rock. Now they are like every other rock station around: Classic rock with a limited playlist. heaven help you if you wanna hear some Korn, Tool or even Triumph.