Topic: Guitar Packs ?

Hi Everyone I am currently in the process of buying a electric guitar.  Can anyone tell me if the guitar packs ( amps, guitar, cords etc) I see available, are they any good?
Thanks

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Re: Guitar Packs ?

that depends on your budget - and the guitar and amp in the pack

it is reasonable for a beginner to set a fairly modest budget and in those circumstances a pack might be a good idea.

hey thanks.  There are a lot advertised here - Ibanez, Yamaha, all for around $300NZ

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Generally I'd say packs are pretty rubbish but up near me a shop is doing an Ibanez paired with a Fat Rat amp which is a great pairing, so it depends. Look for a shop doing a non-big name amp and guitar deal rather than the usual Fender packs.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks Cytania.  I will have a look around. I was not sure if a pack was a good idea and some of the reports about them that I have read today are not that flattering but then someone today told me they have a 'pack' and it has lasted them for ages and they have had no problems.  They started like I am as a beginner and now classify themselves intermediate!!  I have never owned a electric and only have an old acoustic.

I would say the most important thing is that the guitar is ok, when I was 14 or 15 and could not afford a good amp I played over an old kitchen radio the first year ... so usually I would say buy a reasonable guitar and then play it and then buy a reasonable amp later ...

But on the other hand this far-eastern-stuff doesn't cost too much nowadays, so maybe a package ist not that bad. Just be sure that the guitar is really good for the price, and if that is the case, then the amp should be rather small, because if you only use it at home it is not that important how good it sounds. As soon as you're in a band, you will want a bigger one anyway  wink

Hey Man,
I got the Epiphone LP Special II player pack about 6 months ago.  I wanted something inexpensive to learn on because I wasn't sure that I would stick with it.  Turns out that I love playing the guitar and now I'm already thinking about upgrading.  This is the downside to the packs.  If you catch the fever like I did you'll want better equipment pretty quickly.  I will probably upgrade the amp first because I really don't think the guitar is that bad to learn on.  In fact, I can't imagine ever getting rid of it even when I do upgrade.
EF

Hey guys thanks so much.  It all been very helpful.  Edgefan - the Epiphone Special II pack is actually in one of the shops where I live.  So I will check it out.  Thanks.
Yeah its hard when I not sure and all the sales guys are telling me this is the best, that is the best smile.  I know I will always tinker with my guitar, yeah I have caught the "fever" !!!

HEY DUDE,
genrally with those packs the amps arnt all that great.
the guitar's in them are ok though depending on the pack u get.
i would also recomend the epiphone special II pack.

Hey Thanks,
And yes I got the Epiphone II pack and so far so good - not that I know what I am doing but hell I am having a lot of fun so far!
Thanks to all you guys and gals for your help.  Look out, here I come !!!
Ray