Topic: who is or was the best bass guitar player

- I know the value of having a super rythmsection. If you are the singer, or the guitar"man" you need in fact to follow them. Mostly these men are obliged to follow the singer & guitar.
BUT, this has to do with my topic, the best bassguitarplayer on this globe= JAKO PASTORIUS. It is unbelievable what that man "squeezed" out of his bassguitar. You can find work here and there of JAKO, and in stead of the guitar playing solo, he does the same wirh his guitar.
The poor guy, I don't discuss usus or abusus, received some punches from a bodyguard on a Carlos Santana concert, they didn't (or did they) know who he was, and if you are living with your mind in another level, he started or provpced a fight. BYE BYE JAKO.
Another real good bass guitar player is, paul jones: led zeppelin again.
I know that there are many bass players who started as guitar players. This is a reason that can "kill" a group, before breaking trough. My brother he can tell that a lot better. He was member, guitarist about 40 tears ago. In that same group I started too, with an "illuster" acoustic guitar, I put in the electronics, I was at the university then, and the main members were the drummer and my brother, untill one day, two, very good playing guitarists coming for another group, told him to stay but to play the bassguitar, he refused, end of story. Same with paul mccartney.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: who is or was the best bass guitar player

Hello DocPhil, good thread. How about Les Claypool of the band Primus. Plays a mean bass. My nephew of 19 years plays bass and is real good but not famous. I sure would like to get an acoustic bass to have some fun with. anyway take care......Badeye.

one caper after another

Well my favourite is the late John Entwistle of The Who. He brought much much more to The Who than he was ever given credit for. Remember he played in a rhythmn section with Keith Moon who was more of a lead drummer!!! lol

John held that group together, whether or not that makes him the greatest I do not know, but for me he definetely is right up there.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

the best bass player in the world is billy sheehan
this is a video of him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuOQtg-pJ0
good luck!

I know of quite a few good bass players,
I would not know who to call the best.

But,
as mentioned,
John entwhistle,
Mark King
Ali McMordie
steve harris

and my all time favourite ( but maybe not the best)

Flea from red hot chili peppers for his soft and gentle yet melodic bass lines to the hard powerful to the heavy funky rock bass pounding lines.
Ye just canny beat him

Wait!!!

the best bass player is FLEA

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

How about Rick Danko of the "Band".

one caper after another

Jaco Pastorius

the bass player from nirvana listen to love buzz

Victor Wooton?

Tina Weymouth??

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Phil Lesh . . . . formerly with the Grateful Dead

Charles Mingus . . . . jazz composer

Stanley Clarke . . . . jazz composer - Check out this video of Clarke for some amazing solo upright bass sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3jT0uaZw0

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Tony Levin of King Krimson and many ,many other artists. This man is the most in-demand bass player in all of the music industry. Not only does he look identical to G.Gordon Liddy but he plays bass like nobody's business. He sometimes uses "sticks" on his plucking hand that create a percussive yet melodic style simultaneously. Styles are seemingly limitless and tone and technique are brilliantly unique.
Michael Manring from the Windam Hill recording label is an incredible talent as well.

Give everything but up.

Stanley Clarke and John Entwhistle are the two that stand out for me
EF

bernie edwards

15 (edited by Altex 2007-06-28 10:17:28)

There are a lot of good bass players around but the one most commonly know would have to be

FLEA.

It depends on what the criteria is, on pure bass playing skill there would be better bass players than flea but if the criteria includes impact and influence then i think he would be the top or close too it.

Another bass player that isnt as well known is Victor Wooten. 

Also i dont know his name but if you go to you tube and search for 'super mario bass theme' or something along those lines there is a guy playing it on an 11 string bass. He is fingertapping.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

for shure it would have to be john entwistle? have you heard his bass solo in my generation its just stuniing

I'm interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos, especially activity that appears to have no meaning. It seems to me to be the road toward freedom.
-- Jim Morrison

Tony Scherr.  I just saw him perform with Bill Frisell last night.  Holy cats this dude came unhinged and landed some where east of amazing.  It was a complete bondage act.  He made love to it, then he spanked it, then he'd throw it around, then he'd touch it gently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Scherr

Bass players in rock bands get that way because no one else wants the job.   I've just crossed over to the dark side, and picked it up for a project.  It's fun.

So after Tony comes Jerome O'Neil. That dude rox!!!   big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

"When nobody notices me, I have done the best job possible". (Bill Wyman)