Re: .Pet Peeves

Zurf wrote:

If that's how you want to live, it appears that what you are doing wrong is performing personal hygiene and wearing clothes.  On the flip side of that, though, I'd be wondering what they have to do to get the keys to an Escalade.  We're likely better off with our showering and dressing routines. 

- Zurf

That`s true Derek. My 2003 chevy pickup may be old but it was obtained honestly. I`m too cheap to make a car payment. A showy fancy car isn`t important. I also like to dress normal. As wild as I get are my hawaiian shirts.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

People who always think that someone else is the problem. I have friends like this. I just want to tell them, "maybe it's you."

Neighbors who like to party waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay after curfew so I have to go tell them to quiet down. I had to deal with this for a couple years. Gets me heated just thinking about it. It's midnight, turn your crap music off and stop laughing at the top of your lungs. Move your dumb ass inside. Urghhhhhhhhhh!!!! A few times the guy told me that the party wouldn't start until 10 pm because his homies work graveyard. How does that make sense to you fool?

People who smack when they eat. Drives me bonkers!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

When a telephone sales person clearly is phoning from call center in India or Vietnam and does.nt even know how to pronounce my name or home town. I usually reply to them in very bad Russian till they hang up

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I love this thread! Mine are mostly about driving, too. When you learn to drive over here, you are always taught "MSM" - meaning Mirror, Signal, Manouevre. This seems to have become - just Manouevre. Just pull out, or change lane whenever you feel like it, without warning. Also, people driving around in the gloom and rain (of which we have plenty), without any lights. This is bad enough on main roads, but on the tiny country lanes (with blind bends) that I often use - well, I've had some near misses. It's usually an old person wearing a hat, trying to save 0.0005% on their fuel costs, by not putting their lights on. That reminds me of another one - people who are "tight" with money. Not people who are this way because they are short of money - I mean the people who turn up at my house for a family party (ie free food & drink provided) in their shiny new car, and stroll into my house EMPTY HANDED. I feel like kicking them straight out the door again! They are always on Facebook showing off their new car/phone/watch/holiday, but they won't spend a penny on anyone else but themselves...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Stupid people.  Or maybe better, those who CHOOSE ignorance about something that they would LIKE to make work for them.

I'm all for folks trying to get with the times.  I know technology moves way too fast for some, but I seriously think that there should be a TEST that people have to take before being ALLOWED to purchase a computer or other "complicated" electronics (HD tv's, cell phones, e-readers, digital cameras, etc).  If these people don't pass the test, then they should be required to take a BASIC class and pass it before being allowed to make the purchase.  I can't stand the phone calls from family/friends who say, "My computer isn't working right, can you come check it?" only to find out that they've got a message about updates.  Updates are pretty simple, follow the directions on the screen.  "Oh it does that ALL the time, and it messes everything up!"  YEAH... cuz you NEED TO DO THE UPDATES! These same people don't know how to check email (although they've been shown about 10 times), they don't know how to get on the internet.  They can't comprehend the virtual file system of a computer and have NO CLUE what WI FI is, yet they seem to THINK they NEED it (and when things don't work right for them, somehow I am the one that has messed things up).  When trying to trouble shoot over the phone, you have them unplug things and plug them back in, they say they've done it but no go.  You get there, and lo and behold they NEVER DID IT. 

Likewise - I work in cable tech support.  If you have NO CLUE how to change the input settings on your tv and can't grasp the concept AND refuse to use the proper cables that acutally SUPPORT HD ... you shouldn't HAVE an HD TV! 

Sorry.... this may be more of a rant about stupidity than a peeve, but it is a HUGE annoyance on a regular basis for me.  At my job, the motto is "people are stupid, and they lie".  A monitor and a tv are NOT the same things.  A modem and a router are NOT the same things (unless you have a gateway), you cannot get HD programming with just a coax cable from your box to your tv (yes, you can view HD channels, but you're NOT viewing them IN High Def quality), do NOT throw your TV remote in the garbage just because you bought a universal (universal remotes cannot do EVERY FUNCTION that your TV remote can), and cable tech support does NOT mean TV tech support (call the manufacturer if you don't know how to work your tv, they are alllll different), no Tech support cannot give you massive discounts you MUST call BILLING or SALES for that, if you don't pay your bill and get shut off, don't call TECH support JUST PAY YOUR BILL.

Tech support sucks.  People only call when they have a problem.  There.  I'm done with my rant.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Having plans.  Clearly stating plans.  Writing plans on the calendar.  Describing plans again.  Having alternate plans made for you and the alternate plan-maker saying, "You never told me" or "I didn't know about that."  Or worse, being in the middle of something that takes a while to set up and another while to put away, and being asked if you could do something else instead.  "Uh sure, in 45 minutes after I put away all these tools I just finished pulling out and arranging."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Southern California traffic. There is no reason we should have stop and go on the freeway. Everyone gets on, gets up to speed, and drives. I think that's pretty simple. But that's not how it works. Just blows my mind. Craig Shoemaker (a fav comedian of mine) has a line about being stuck on the 405 for an hour because there was a cup in the road. So sad, but true. It doesn't take much to ruin our freeway driving. I'm sure you've seen a tow truck on the side of the road before, so there's no need to slow down to lookey loo at it. Keep moving!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

With Zurf: People who slow down for T/C's on the freeway...on the opposing shoulder! Going on a medical aid to a low-income neighborhood (slum) and walking in to find a 65" TV, a gangbanger playing xbox, a huge stereo system and a poop hot computer and a wwlfare mother with six kids, two working cars and too lazy to take the child to the Urgent Care.

Getting medical calls to Dr's offices and getting the wrong info...from the MD! Going to the same MD office for a heart attack and being handed a 12 lead EKG that shows absolutely nothing to indicate a heart attack...then the MD gets mad because you are re-assessing the patient. Hey! If you did not want to be embarrassed by a mere paramedic then do your job right the first time!

Being on the ambulance and listening to the fire guys (not from my department) telling the patient with the gout pain in his big toe that if the pain was important enough to call 911 he needs to go by ambulance. Hey! I cannot help it if this 50 year old college grad is too stupid to know what a life-threatening emergency is. Don't take me away from running real calls because you are afraid of upsetting the stupid guy!

Calling tech support, having a tech come on and, in a heavy Indian accent, tell me her name is Brittany. Uh...Yeah, right. "Hi Brittany! My name is Samir and I need some help!"

My wife driving on the freeway, in the fast lane at...71 MPH (In SoCal), and telling the car behind that she is going fast enough and he can go around. Really? It is called the fast lane for a reason, pull the eff over and stop blocking traffic!

Supervisors (Chief officers) that think so much of their crews they never go to the stations to say hi.

Paramedic preceptors (those medics that take students to teach them how to be field medics) that think so highly of themselves they forgot they were once students themselves. Making the students life difficult is their way of toughening them up...even if it means not moving a bit when they arrive on-scene of a full arrest until the student tells them to do something. "Really? Ok...Step out of the way and me and the student will do our jobs while you tell yourself how good you are."

Stop me, I got tons of 'em!

Now that I'm taking driver's ed., I've discovered that one of my pet peeve is the way my Mom drives. She get's real tense, and leans forward, and she scowls and looks like something bad is going to happen. The worst thing, though, is that she tailgates all the time, and doesn't even realize it! If I'm sitting in the passenger seat and we're on the highway I'm terrified!

Just to be fair, my pet peeve with Dad's driving is that he always glides to a stop and it takes forever to get where we're going! When I point out that we're probably wasting about five years of our lives just coming to a stop, he says, "No sense wearing out the brake pads, Emmy!"

M.B.two wrote:

Now that I'm taking driver's ed., I've discovered that one of my pet peeve is the way my Mom drives. . . . , my pet peeve with Dad's driving is . . ."

16.  Rookie drivers who feel like they are qualified to critique the way experienced drivers drive.

HAHA!  Just kidding.  i saw an opening and had to take it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Too many to count...:lol:

I suppose #1 would be when the road is being worked on and I get redirected into the single line. No problem there...its the 2 or 3 drivers that feel they can drive up to the front of the line and poke there nose in until someone lets them in. Unless they're pregnant and about to give birth someone else can let them in. I gladly put up with their swearing and dirty looks cause I gotta be somewhere to.
Cheers
KAP

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

KAP54 wrote:

I suppose #1 would be when the road is being worked on and I get redirected into the single line. No problem there...its the 2 or 3 drivers that feel they can drive up to the front of the line and poke there nose in until someone lets them in. Unless they're pregnant and about to give birth someone else can let them in. I gladly put up with their swearing and dirty looks cause I gotta be somewhere to.
Cheers
KAP

It's these drivers that make the line go slower.  Yeah, that's another of mine.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:
KAP54 wrote:

Cheers
KAP

I wonder if they get tired off people swearing and giving them dirty looks...I know I would.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Astronomikal wrote:
M.B.two wrote:

Now that I'm taking driver's ed., I've discovered that one of my pet peeve is the way my Mom drives. . . . , my pet peeve with Dad's driving is . . ."

16.  Rookie drivers who feel like they are qualified to critique the way experienced drivers drive.

Guilty as charged! Laughed a lot at that one! I tell my mom, "Mom, I'm the one studying this stuff--when was the last time you took a driving class, huh?"  She always says something like, "When you've given birth to FIVE children, young lady, than you can criticize your mother, who carried you in her womb for NINE MONTHS and then had a 40 HOUR labor, and . . . 2 A.M. FEEDINGS . . . SLEEP DEPRIVED . . . SPOILED. . . WALKED FIVE MILES TO SCHOOL . . . "

M.B.two wrote:
Astronomikal wrote:
M.B.two wrote:

Guilty as charged! Laughed a lot at that one! I tell my mom, "Mom, I'm the one studying this stuff--when was the last time you took a driving class, huh?"  She always says something like, "When you've given birth to FIVE children, young lady, than you can criticize your mother, who carried you in her womb for NINE MONTHS and then had a 40 HOUR labor, and . . . 2 A.M. FEEDINGS . . . SLEEP DEPRIVED . . . SPOILED. . . WALKED FIVE MILES TO SCHOOL . . . "

So what is the problem with that? What you kids don't understand is that we ALL walked 20 miles to school, uphill in the snow...And you know what? When you have kids you will have done the same!

KAP54 wrote:
bensonp wrote:
KAP54 wrote:

Cheers
KAP

I wonder if they get tired off people swearing and giving them dirty looks...I know I would.

I am convinced that that most people who do this have no idea they are pissing people off and cutting in line.  That is what is really sad.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have a feeling this one could run and run...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Servers in a restaurant saying "enjoy" every single time they bring something to the table.  First off, if you are a waiter or waitress you had darned well better hope that I enjoy my food and drink else I'm unlikely to return.  So don't TELL me to enjoy, just work to be sure that I do.  Second, telling me once is sufficient.  You do not have to tell me to enjoy my drinks, then my appetizers, then my entree, then my drink refill, and the mustard you drop off, etc.  It's fine to come by to check on whether I am enjoying it, nor do I mind your well wishes along the lines of "I hope you enjoy your meal" or even stating an expectation - "I'll leave you to enjoy your meal", but being given the one word command "enjoy" every time you drop anything as inconsequential as spare napkins by the table is extremely annoying.  If you have nothing to say, don't speak. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

See, Zurf, don't that feel good to get it off your chest.  Now if the waitresses could only read your comments.

When TV news create news where there isnt any. Theres lots of really important stuff happening out there that should be reported, yet some news channels will tell you  over and over that John Smith politician has changed the colour of his undies, and invent several reasons why, then analyse it to bits with mindless interviews and talkbacks, when really Who gives a flying fart...

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Oh - now TwangTown has opened that can of worms.   MAN have I got issues with news media.  When local home town newspapers are the ones who do the best reporting by staying on topic, stating facts without prejudicial words, clearly identifying quotes versus paraphrases, and staying brief, the major newspapers should not be surprised that they are losing readers.  I remember complaining about The Washington Post one time and my wife saying, "Oh, it's not that bad," so I challenged her.  We would each cut one article out of a newspaper, me from a small town paper and she one from The Washington Post.  We would then have a disinterested third party read each of the articles and then summarize the key journalistic questions of who, what, when, where, why, and how.  Then the person would give a rating on how well the article stuck to its premise as stated by the headline and lead-in sentence.  The Washington Post lost on all counts to the small town newspaper.  It used opinions, included irrelevant facts, lost its focus by the third paragraph (the headline and index sentence said it was about a high school cheerleader competition, but most of the article was about gang murders).  Just AWFUL.  The Business section of WaPo is good, and the Sports (if you like Sports) but the rest drives me up a wall.  Multiply that by 10 for televised news.  Just what they pick to report upon drives me insane, and then the quality of the reports.  Sheesh.

Here's my A#1 top pet peeve of news media...  Ending a report with questions!  Hey, here's an idea news guys, if you have questions GO GET THE ANSWERS THEN TELL US THAT INFORMATION!!! 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.   

- Zurf

I hear ya Zurf but it's our local paper that gets me. I have been interviewed by them a few times in the past handful of years and more times than not I am misquoted. I read them and thought, I didn't say that. How hard is it to write down what someone says and have it printed?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I got tto say I agree with zurf and zguitar!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah, every time something that I'm involved in is reported upon by The Washington Post, they've gotten it all wrong.  Simple facts like what town it's in has been wrong.

What they do seem to get right is, "Who wore what dress to the Emmys and actress so and so is having a baby. More after the break."  This is the news I really don't give a flip about.