Topic: a song for my dad

Hi Chordians, It's my dad's 70th birthday next year, and I am gonna suprize him with his first ever birthday party. I would also love to sing him a song. Can anyone think of, or know of any daughter to dad songs. I have only been playing just over a year, so the easier ones are best for me, no barre chords yet, thank you. Cheers all you lovely peeps.

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Re: a song for my dad

Hi boxer - what a marvelous plan and you have plenty of time, so - write your daddy a song!

It need not be fancy or arty . . . just a few simple lines that convey your love and happiness.  A 3-chord ditty would be delightful and as long as it is his first birthday party, you might as well give him a present that nobody else can give.

If you have never written a song before - DON'T PANIC!  It is not so hard and there are plenty of participants in the Songwriting forum who would be glad to assist.

Think about it . . . mull the benefits . . . debate the issues . . . ponder the consequences . . . .
OK - enough of that! - - - now start thinking about your daddy, and jot down some words and phrases.  Your song is already started!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

3 (edited by boxer 2007-06-30 18:37:16)

Ha, you are so funny Mr James Admin, I have only ever written one song that I posted this morning, and I believe that you were first to comment on it.
You are a very gracious man I think, full of support and love of this site. Your comments are greatly appreciated, it takes guts for a lot of people to talk about their "stuff", and you are always welcoming and positive in your responses.
You are probably right maybe I should write one for myself. mmmmmmmm
Brings tears to my eyes.........

never called him daddy tho, just dad.........

Hi Boxer,

I have just posted a reply to your similar question in the Song Request section and guess what? My reply is practically the same as James's.

As James has said there are many of your Chordie friends that will help if you need it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanx for all the great advice, much appreciated. I have actually managed to write a little ditty this morning and will post it in the Songwriting section. Thanx again.

My Guy - Smokey Robinson (not about a dad but fairly adaptable lyrics)

Hi Boxer,
I too would suggest you write your own! As you know him so well it would be much more personal... If not just google "Songs for Dads"  You will be spoiled for choice!  I wrote 2 recently for my own Sons 30th birthday, and everyone loved them.. Also frame the words, and give them to him as a gift.  Like My Lad
he will love it!" Dont forget to dance with him!"  { Re, Luther Vandross }
Long life to you and your Dad........Dia Linn {God to You}
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

No reason why it shouldn't come from a daughter - How about 'My Old Man' by Ian Drury?

Dave