Topic: Changing strings

We talk about changing strings all the time.  The tonal quality changes so slow over time that we just don't notice how they have changed for the worse and lost that good bright tone.  Changing strings is something I tend to think about often, but just don't get around to as often as I want because it is a chore in my mind.  But once I do decide to just do it, I actually enjoy it.  Well, I changed my strings yesterday and man what a difference.  I can't remember noticing such a big change before.  Maybe its the new strings, Elixir nano, which I've used before, but not for a long time.  I generally use Kurt Mangan strings, which I like very much.  Anyway, my guitar sounds so bright now.  A warm deep tone.  I'll be changing te strings on my other guitar today.  Just thought I would share on the importance of changing strings.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: Changing strings

Sometimes a new set of strings on an existing guitar can quench the burning desire for a new guitar and save a whole bunch of money. i like Elixir also.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

There is an art to changing strings. It never ceases to amaze me at some of the string jobs I see on guitars I have bought. How many times do you see people try to use every inch of string. Then there is this big mess of string on the shaft. I had two guitarists teach me how to do it. It`s a lesson that stuck with me forever.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Whilst I change my strings on a regular basis. I find that using Fastfret  to clean the strings, will keep the nice bright sound that you get with new strings for much longer.

Tel

I totally agree, Pete!

Just reminded me I bought new Elixers while on holiday. I'll need to get them on.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I finally tried some medium strings on one of my guitars and while I like them, somewhat, I think I will go back to medium lights.  They sound great, but not that much of difference, I guess.  The lighterstrings are just eaiser to finger and I get less buzz.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pete,
I use Elixers mostly. I did try the Curt Mangan strings and I like them also. Didn't know anyone else used Mangan strings. They were new to me. A lot of people don't like the coated strings ,they say you don't get the sound like uncoated. To me they sound great on my Martins and Taylors. Plus to me the new sound stays much longer. It's all I use now.

Joe

That's about the same with me Tyson, although I do go back and try other strings once in awhile just in case I am missing anything., but I seem to always go back to Mangans

Pete, good post this one. We sometimes need a reminder on the little things we seem to neglect. I am also an Elixer nano fan in medium lights by the way.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Bass strings- once around the shaft and through the hole on top of the winding. Treble strings- twice around the shaft  and through the hole on top of the winding. When you tune the string it will build up more on the shaft. Usually there is an extre 3-4 inches of string hanging off the pegs. Leave  a little over a quarter of an inch, then snip.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

OK great topic.  Let me ask you experts this.  What sound qualities do strings lend?  In other words twangy mellow bassy  buzzy etc.

In my very short and limited experience I’ve used only medium but found a set of light in the bottom of my draw. I found the lights to be kinda “twangy”

I’ve also read somewhere  that some guitars can not take medium or heavy strings because it pulls  on the neck to much. (is this true?)

sat20387 wrote:

OK great topic.  Let me ask you experts this.  What sound qualities do strings lend?  In other words twangy mellow bassy  buzzy etc.

In my very short and limited experience I’ve used only medium but found a set of light in the bottom of my draw. I found the lights to be kinda “twangy”

I’ve also read somewhere  that some guitars can not take medium or heavy strings because it pulls  on the neck to much. (is this true?)

Any time you change string gauge, you need to have your guitar set -up for that type.  It  determins fret buzz / and action.  Remember low action and a little buzzy = fast playability  A little higher action = a bit slower playing and a little more finger psi to fret your chord but no buzz, but med to high action is best for bottleneck / slide.  Heavy strings usually = thicker heavier tone and yes lighter gets a bit more Tinish / twangy.

I think I got this all right, but If I didn't you can count on someone letting me know LOLOL lol big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Also thicker strings are under more tension at a given pitch so you need to fret them harder. Also more resistence on string bends.

memory wrote:

Thank you for this article. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases.Thanks!
***spam links removed***

It never fails. Someone tries to spread spam by infiltrating a good post. Please put your spam where it belongs

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Also a fan of Fastfret - I don't feel the need to change strings very often at all, if I clean them regularly. Have just started using Earthwood strings (11-52) and have been favourably impressed with the sound, and value for money...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Yep fast fret and stringez, are nice.  If you look at the ingrediants,, it pretty much just mineral oil,,, So if you want to save yourself some money,, get a bottle of MO and a nice chammy.  you can clean strings and fret bd at same time.(mo on mo off with seperate cloth.)  if you want the lemon smell,, get a bottle of essiential oil lemon and put a coupple drops in. 

Fast fret is preinpregnated cotton wadding with MO and string ease is MO with a little sent added.

I have looked up a few different guitar care sites.  it is almost an even split between mineral oil and pure lemon oil.  I have been using either or.  Have not noticed anything that would be called detrimental.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)