Topic: Thinking about a new Computer

As with everything else, my computer has slowed down after 3+ years of good service and I am thinking about a new one.  In the past, when buying a computer, I never worried about the sound card.  If it had one, good.  Now that I enjoy recording and posting songs to YouTube, should I be looking for a computer with a better sound card than the average one that comes with cheap computers?  Would a better sound card enhance my recording sessions at all?  Would it be worth it to spend a few more dollars for one with a much better sound card?  Or if I bought a separate sound card and installed it, what would I look for?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: Thinking about a new Computer

The answer, like most things, is "It depends."  smile

If you are using the sound card to do the analog to digital (A/D) conversion from your mics then yes, you will get better results from a better card.   If you are doing the A/D conversion somewhere else like a USB mixing console (You use a Behringer 4 track, yes?), then a better sound card may give you more fidelity on playback, but won't help during recording as the digital signal is processed somewhere else.

For example, my mics all plug into either my TASCAM USB audio interface or my Behringer mixer.   When I record it is those devices that do the A/D handling so the recording quality is dependent on that portion of the signal chain.  The sound card never really sees it.   When I play back, if I play through the sound card, then the D/A function happens there.  If I route audio through the TASCAM or Behringer, that is where it will matter.

So what does your signal chain look like?  That will give you the answer you're looking for.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I knew you would pop in jerome.  It's just like you to confuse me with the facts.  smile  I have an Alesis 4 mixer.  I think I understand you.  I have the mics going through the mixer to USB and if I am hearing you right, the sound card will only make my playback on the computer sound a little better, but do very little for the actual recorded sound.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 years old isn't that old Pete. Mine is 6 or 7. I have upgraded some stuff tho. I would suggest buying a sound card and installing it. It's easy to find an all around computer, but once you start looking in to specifics it gets harder to get what you want. I can' recommend what to look for as I am challenged in that area.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like a sound card that would me sound like Eddy Vedder on vocals and Eric Clapton on guitar please!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

bensonp wrote:

I knew you would pop in jerome.  It's just like you to confuse me with the facts.  smile  I have an Alesis 4 mixer.  I think I understand you.  I have the mics going through the mixer to USB and if I am hearing you right, the sound card will only make my playback on the computer sound a little better, but do very little for the actual recorded sound.

That's exactly it.   The pre-amp and A/D is happening for you at the mixer so that is where your recording quality is going to happen.

topdown wrote:

I'd like a sound card that would me sound like Eddy Vedder on vocals and Eric Clapton on guitar please!

I want a "talent enhancement" knob on my mixer.  I'd always crank it up to 20.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

8 (edited by dino48 2012-08-17 01:20:29)

topdown wrote:

topdown if you find one like that plese let me know! Pete maybe you should try some good external plug in speakers. Russell just gt a new computer a dell for about $500.00 I got one afew months ago a dual core Gateway laptop at home shopping network for $550.00 but I am not using it too much as I am still learning about its bells and whistle's.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

bensonp wrote:

As with everything else, my computer has slowed down after 3+ years of good service and I am thinking about a new one.  In the past, when buying a computer, I never worried about the sound card.  If it had one, good.  Now that I enjoy recording and posting songs to YouTube, should I be looking for a computer with a better sound card than the average one that comes with cheap computers?  Would a better sound card enhance my recording sessions at all?  Would it be worth it to spend a few more dollars for one with a much better sound card?  Or if I bought a separate sound card and installed it, what would I look for?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My laptop is pushing 5 yrs and is still kicking,, Are you using your computer to store all your music vids,,ect??  How full is your C drive?  Any computer who's memory is over 50% will have a noticeable slow down.  Here is my suggestion:
1. Hey a new sound card would probably be a good thing. (if you really want one)
2. If your over 50% on the C drive, then buy a external drive and move all but the basic files from your c drive.  1 to 2 terra bite drives are pretty reasonable in price nowdays and gives you the ins. of if your puter crashes,, you dont loose all your files big_smile  (Ii also store the program files for my adaucity, 30 + movies and my whole music collection, which take up a lot of space on my external also)
3. Have you ever run Ccleaner? (windows only) its a free program  and really helps. then do a defrag.  I like to use Defraggler (same company as Ccleaner) and its free also. Just look them up from file hippo or google, but the web sites take you either to filehippo or another download site.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler
Im pretty sure you have a good anti virus /malware program so I wont go into my opinoins there.

This would be by far cheaper than a new puter and your speed will return.

Just my opinion. cool

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks Jerome.  Yeah guys, I know I have a lot of junk on my hard drive.  I do keep large files on a separate external drive.  And yes my hard drive is over 50% full even though.  I defragged yesterday and it helped a little.  I will check out ccleaner and see what gives.  Talent enhancement would be the way to go.  I'll be looking for one of those.  Thanks guys.

ccleaner works very well.  I've used it in the past to good effect. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I just used it.  The only thing is, I have to re input all my user names and passwords on everything and sometimes I don't remember what they are.  Anyway, I'll see how it works.

The new laptop I just got picked up a virus and it was protected by McAfee which came with it,I googled for some online assistance for microsoft I thought I was getting a representitive from Microsoft but it turnned out to be some geeks that charge money he did locate the problem but I passed on shelling out the bucks and downloaded Avast free software it did a boot scan which took about an hour and found the nasty critter and put it in jail where it will be disected and uploaded and then killed so a word of advice and caution to all new pc owners or potential owners "AVAST Free me matey" no mercy on viruses lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Consider an Apple Computer. I converted about a year ago and will not own another PC. I don't record much so I cannot help you there but I like the Apple because it just works. For me using a PC had become like owning a car that required a tune-up every time you wanted to use it. That may have been novel when I was 16 but now I just want to drive!

15 (edited by beamer 2012-08-18 00:01:20)

Russell_Harding wrote:

The new laptop I just got picked up a virus and it was protected by McAfee which came with it,I googled for some online assistance for microsoft I thought I was getting a representitive from Microsoft but it turnned out to be some geeks that charge money he did locate the problem but I passed on shelling out the bucks and downloaded Avast free software it did a boot scan which took about an hour and found the nasty critter and put it in jail where it will be disected and uploaded and then killed so a word of advice and caution to all new pc owners or potential owners "AVAST Free me matey" no mercy on viruses lol

Russell, Word to the wise,, GET RID OF MCAFFEE AS A WHOLE PROTECTION PACKAGE. It will take a lot of digging to get it all out of your computer but its worth the trouble. Avast is rated as best free, but after a while the free version craps out a (IN my experiance).  I may deleat MSE and try it again since its been 3 yrs. Heck I can always deleat it adn put MSE back on  if I dont like it.
I have been using Microsoft security Essentials (Free) for 3 yrs with great luck.  It has a active fire wall and updates very often.  One product I do like from Mcafee is called STINGER. its an on demand tool that is free.  It will often find stuff the full package fails to catch.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind … essentials

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free … inger.aspx

just in case you want to check them out.

Also here is a very good article for everyone.  its free v/s paid antivirus.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/210589/f … pared.html

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I concur Beamer the trial period for McAfee expires in 8 days and its history I really had a hassel with the updates installing till I visited Microsofts home page I registered and on the FAQ my problem was listed and a solution given it seems the updates were arranged for installing in the wrong order so I did what they said would fix it I allowed only one update at first it was in the middle of the list after it installed I followed with the rest my last chore was to install  my new video editing program Pinnacle Studio HD ultimate collection this is some kind of program with 3 D effects unbelievable graphics and lots of goodies cant wait to shoot my videos now that I have the right gear.long day for me gonna kick back now smile

naolslager wrote:

Consider an Apple Computer. I converted about a year ago and will not own another PC. I don't record much so I cannot help you there but I like the Apple because it just works. For me using a PC had become like owning a car that required a tune-up every time you wanted to use it. That may have been novel when I was 16 but now I just want to drive!

I've become an Apple devote as well.  I record with my Mac mini all the time, and it's great for what I do.  I'd sometimes like to have a bit more I/O throughput, but other than that, I've no complaints.

My computer is 6 years old, and had it fully serviced recently - physically cleaned out internally of all the dust and fluff, because apparently it causes the cooling fans to overwork and slows down the processor speed. Also had it virus cleansed - even though I use Norton 360, there were over 500 viruses, worms, bugs, and other nasties sitting in there!! It now works like new, much faster.  well worth the $90 spend.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

TwangTown wrote:

My computer is 6 years old, and had it fully serviced recently - physically cleaned out internally of all the dust and fluff, because apparently it causes the cooling fans to overwork and slows down the processor speed. Also had it virus cleansed - even though I use Norton 360, there were over 500 viruses, worms, bugs, and other nasties sitting in there!! It now works like new, much faster.  well worth the $90 spend.

Dump Norton too,, its worse than McAfee.  The "IT" guys in the Navy 20 yrs ago b4 windows, hated it then! It sucks.
Sorry,, but please do some research and  save yourself a lot of pain and $$$.

naolslager wrote:

I agree on the apple computers,I have used friends in the past I just can not get enough money to buy one,otherwise I would have one now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I agree on the apple computers,I have used friends in the past I just can not get enough money to buy one,otherwise I would have one now.

I ain't no Rockefeller; my Apple was a surprise gift.

Pete, what is the update?  Are things running smoother?  I forgot to mention in the last post, A great way to speed up is by adding more RAM.  If you have not done it, You have open slots in your desktop/ laptop.  Buy more ram = get faster computer. (oh and do a defrag on your external also,, Defragler will let you choose other drives.  NOTE::: DONT DO "DISK CLEANUP" ON ANY EXTERNAL DRIVE!!!,,, I did this thinking it would work like it did on my C drive,,,,,BIG MISTAKE!. it wipes it clean.  Luckly I had not put too much on  the external at the time

I visited microsofts web site and with the Windows 7 program installed in my Dell I was able to find some answers to speed up my new and old pc's.When you first startup several programs run automatically which adds to the boot time some of these are not necessary and you can decide which are important by going to the control panel and opening the task manager you will find a list of programs that run automatically at boot up and you would be surprised to find webcams,time and weather reports (on windows 7) in short some dont need to run till you have use for them and you can get more information depending on your computer make on the web but do the research first and get opinions before making any adjustments. smile

Now the RAm thing might be what I need.  It still runs slow and even videos on YouTube keep stopping and starting a lot.  I do have a thing tat comes up often that says something about memory.  I'll bet thats it.  Memory is cheap, maybe I'll check into that

McAffee and Norton are horrible.  I found Avast was very heavy.  I use windows live security essentials as well, and I run threatfire free in the background.  since switching to widows security essentials, threatfire hasn't found anything.  Every now and again I also run malwarebytes.  It is THE go to for removing rouge viruses that Mcaffee and Norton let in and can't remove.  wink  It's also free.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.