Re: Thinking about a new Computer

Oh... and I firmly believe in an external firewall.  Routers are good.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

bensonp wrote:

Now the RAm thing might be what I need.  It still runs slow and even videos on YouTube keep stopping and starting a lot.  I do have a thing tat comes up often that says something about memory.  I'll bet thats it.  Memory is cheap, maybe I'll check into that

If that is the case, you have too many items running at once.  Take a look at the menu bar on the right.  If you have a ton of little icons down there, that is what is taking up all your resources.  Start turning them off one by one and see what happens.

Computers don't "slow down" as they get older.  They just get more and more crap installed that consume more and more resources, leaving less for the things you actually want to do.  Everything seems to have some sort of "monitor" program that is going to help you out in some way, but really all it does is consume memory and disk.

Try this on Windows.  Go to your control panel and select "add/remove programs."  Look at the list and sort it by frequency  of use.  If there is anything on there that you haven't used within 90 days, uninstall it.  When that is done, run your disk defrag, restart your machine, and see if that doesn't give you a bit more performance.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Pete did you ever set a system restore point,if so that may do the trick.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

29 (edited by gearxstech 2012-08-29 17:03:14)

bensonp wrote:

As with everything else, my computer has slowed down after 3+ years of good service and I am thinking about a new one.

Hi bensonp, I have used a [URL removed by moderator]! Dell Optiplex GX270 which meets my  needs at a great price! I think It would be choose.  This system is powered by an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and 1 GB of DDR RAM, powerful enough for simple home and office tasks. Install your favorite applications and save critical data to the 40 GB hard drive. Install more software with the CD drive! Integrated Intel graphics and AC'97 audio chipsets add value while leaving room for expansion! Connect to high-speed networks and the Internet with integrated Gigabit Ethernet LAN! Just add the monitor, keyboard and mouse and you're ready to compute!

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: Chordie does allow links in messages.  However, there are guidelines.  All of the guidelines come down to one thing - we need to be fair to our board sponsors who pay for advertising.  The URL I removed was a commercial site that advertised used computers for sale, and the name of the site was also the name of the member.  It was not merely advice from one regular user to another, but someone attempting to personally profit from having their link on Chordie.  So I removed the link out of fairness for those who pay to advertise.  Chordie is a very popular site with many regular users.  If you feel this is a good forum for you to sell your product, please contact the site administrator and work out an advertising relationship with him.

Pete RAM is always good. Since your getting that note,,, you really have too much in your C drive.  Move more stuff to that external you said you have. Get C as clean as possible this way.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Pete if you go too personal computers or better known as PC world.com    pc world they have alot of people you can ask and you can get lots of free virus,spywhare etc there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman