Re: .Pet Peeves

Another news media related pet peeve - cutesy language shortcuts.  "Mitt Romney to tap Paul Ryan for V.P. slot."  1. V.P. is not a slot.  It is a position.  2. Mitt Romney might ask Paul Ryan, but I highly doubt that he is going to pound a spigot into his leg when he does it.  I also doubt that he's going to tap him on the shoulder to try to get his attention when he does it.  What is wrong with "Mitt Romney plans to ask Paul Ryan to be his running mate"  Or even "Mitt Romney to ask Paul Ryan to join ticket" or something that actually makes sense? 

Please note: I have carefully avoided discussion of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan as candidates.  I only addressed the language used by the news media to inform their readers and listeners.  Let's keep it that way, please. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Seems the so called news media are more entertainment focused then reporting real news,I really could not care about the clothes etc of the entertainers.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Groups of 3 or 4 people walking towards you on a sidewalk, and not one of them moves over to make room for you to pass without stepping onto the street.  Makes me want to give them a high five...in the face....with a chair.

zurf, sorry mate but i didn't understand any of your last post. i know what a "VP" is though....vice president?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

zurf, sorry mate but i didn't understand any of your last post. i know what a "VP" is though....vice president?

Yes.  Mitt Romney is running for President of the U.S. as a Republican.  Our current President, President Obama is running for re-election as a Democrat.  When running, our President picks a running mate who will be the Vice President if he is elected.  I preferred the very old way when there were a bunch of parties and the guy with the most votes was President and the guy with the second most votes was Vice President and they were told to sit down and work it out if they didn't like each other.  But now the President gets to pick his own Vice President and they run together on what we call, for whatever reason, a ticket.  So the Democrat ticket is President Obama and Vice President Biden.  The Republican ticket is former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney and Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin. 

Mitt Romney just yesterday or the day before picked Paul Ryan to join him as the Vice President candidate on the Republican ticket.  CNN and other news media reported this by saying "Romney to tap Ryan for V.P. slot."  What God-awful grammar and vocabulary.  Isn't it just painful to read?  Cutesy, short-cut language like that should not be used by serious news outlets. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Yeah, sorry i opened up on the news media thing, its seems to have started a snowball. But I detest the media jargon that goes with politics as well, Every country has its own, and it seems to take over the news to the detriment of issues that really matter in this world, like poverty, hunger, war. Its all ratings based unfortunately and a starving child in Somalia doesnt rate highly.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I am a victim of the Newspaper misquote/twist the story to make it more dramatic. A few years ago I was on a call to the northern area of our fire district which was used extensively by ohv enthusiasts. Two guys on ATV's had been run off a trail by some girls coming off a side trail. the guys went through the wire fencing dividing the ohv area from the freeway. One of the guys caught a wire on his larynx, crushing it. when we got on scene he, needless to say, having some difficulty breathing. I could not use the Ambu Bag ( used to force air into the lungs for thiose who cannot breathe on their own) and there were no landmarks or structure to do a needle crichothyrotomy (make a hole in the larynx so we can use the ambu bag to force air into his lungs). We don't have trauma centers where I work and the nearest one, Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, is 20-45 mins away by air ambulance. The ambulance got on-scene and I told them to transport the patient to the nearest hospital NOW!

The patient survived after receiving a surgical crich within minutes of arrival. The local rag picked up on the story and, in their zeal to hail the MD at the hospital ( who is a friend of mine and told me what the patient really said) they "quoted" the patient, who was a Spanish speaker only, as saying, "The paramedic said he could not do anything for me and I was going to die."

When I read that I went ballistic. One of the things I train new medics is to never tell a critical patient he is going to die unless he is and refuses our treatment. That kid needed more than I could do and I sent him to get the help he needed but I never said what he quoted.

It still bothers me today and I never trusted anything that paper printed after. That was my first hand experience of the press twisting words to get a "better" story. The problem was they effed with my reputation. Grrrrr.........

Political reporting boils down to the "horse race", and very seldom about actual issues. Look at the Iraq invasion of 2003. Except for PBS news, no one dared report the inconsistencies of U.S. policy, despite the many voices raising questons. Almost a million people marched in New York City, just prior to the invasion, and I can not recall it being even a sidebar on TV news. It was the largest anti-war demonstration in decades! In Euorlpe, MILLIONS of people in most major capitals also marched, and were not even mentioned, in print or on TV.

No one seems to be asking why NATO intervention was so urgent in Lybia, but a non starter in Syria.

The only U.S. news I watch, from Canada, is PBS, including Bill Moyers, whose voice seems to be the only rational newscaster and commentator in existence, in my eyes.

The reasons for the "lack of news" on television is, simply put, that news broadcasts from the networks are not "national" news anymore, but corporate news. If a story is bad for business, or a discussion points fingers at the growing putocracy, it simply doesn't air.

Sorry for the rant...

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

To get away from too much political BS, here's another that gets me going.  I don't really get mad about it, but it kinda makes me wonder.  People who have so much stuff in their garage that there is no room for the car.  My intention here is not to make you mad if you ae one of the culprits.  It just makes me wonder why?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Kids driving with the seat way back. I don`t know how many times I see these kids trying to pull themselves up so they can see over the steering wheel. It doesn`t look cool, it looks stupid. They usually have to drive really slow and are all over the road. It`s those times that I wish I had a rental car.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

One more thing. Kids walking around with their underwear sticking out or a t-shirt so long it looks like a dress. With a t-shirt that long, no one can notice the underwear sticking out. I got so sick of my stepson dressing that way I said" you want your underwear to stick out, here, "then I gave him an atomic wedgie "now they stick out". One time I actually started laughing at some kid that tripped over his because they were so low.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

WALMART- need I say more

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I'm glad you got that off your chest, Joey. smile feel better don't you?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I'm glad you got that off your chest, Joey. smile feel better don't you?

Yes -Remember John Belushi telling a story on weekend update, then he would go nuts and start losing it. That was me

Enjoy Every Sandwich

http://www.catholicmothersonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/firstworldproblems.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

good post above jerome,I agree with all. ^

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thought of one tonight as I was driving through my neighborhood and watched a nitwit go through two stop signs. He did not even do a courtesy slow-down (California Stop), he just went right through. This, for some reason, seems to be a big problem in my neighborhood and with all the kids around it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt because some nit thinks he/she is too important to stop for a few seconds.

68 (edited by beamer 2012-08-27 22:41:28)

People who travel in the left lane and dont move! so what if they are going the speed limit,,, MOVE OVER.   The Licence book still says LEFT LANE FOR PASSING, not  ITS YOUR JOB TO IMPEAD THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC.  If I want to risk the ticket,, Let the police decide!  If I were a cop, Idd give tickets to thoes Jack-holes!

OH that feels better LOLOLOL  lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

How about people who turn left at a light into a two lane with their left turn signal on and immediately cross both lanes to get to the right hand lane, all the while their left turn signal blinking away.  The book says turn into the nearest lane, look and put signal on, then get into other lane.  I'm not sure what they teach in drivers ed anymore or what the licence manual says, but few people follow it.  Just sayin'.

bensonp wrote:

How about people who turn left at a light into a two lane with their left turn signal on and immediately cross both lanes to get to the right hand lane, all the while their left turn signal blinking away.  The book says turn into the nearest lane, look and put signal on, then get into other lane.  I'm not sure what they teach in drivers ed anymore or what the licence manual says, but few people follow it.  Just sayin'.

Im with ya on that one also, espically since I ride a motorcycle.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

beamer wrote:

People who travel in the left lane and dont move! so what if they are going the speed limit,,, MOVE OVER.   The Licence book still says LEFT LANE FOR PASSING, not  ITS YOUR JOB TO IMPEAD THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC.  If I want to risk the ticket,, Let the police decide!  If I were a cop, Idd give tickets to thoes Jack-holes!

OH that feels better LOLOLOL  lol

I had traffic vigilantes threaten the health of my daughter.  When my daughter was two years old, she had a seizure.  It was a baaaaad seizure and we headed for the nearest hospital.  I switched on my four ways, was flashing my high beams, and blowing the horn.  This is what the rulebook says to do for a civilian to temporarily notify other drivers of an emergency.  People were cutting me off and intentionally impeding my progress, probably trying to teach me a lesson.  I got up beside one of these jokers at a light and my wife rolled down her window and lit into that smarmy son-of-a-sea-cook like nobody's business, the whole while my daughter thrashing and screaming in her car seat.  The smug smile and all the color drained from his face right quick, let me tell you.  That guy wasn't the only one who decided to 'teach me a lesson', but he was the only one who got the opportunity to find out how ignorant he had been.  We got to the hospital and she received the treatment she needed before any permanent damage was done, but no thanks to the traffic vigilantes. 

- Zurf

Not sure if this is a peeve or not, but it kinda bugs me.  I was driving on one of the side streets in town and say a 14 year old (or so) skate boarding down the street.  Hey nothing wrong with this.  He was texting all the way down the street.  But that's ok, I am a good driver and go slow and pay attention to my surroundings, unlike him.  This is becoming more common every day.

That sort of rule - watch where you're going - tends to be self-enforcing.

74 (edited by beamer 2012-08-28 23:25:17)

Pete the whole distracted driver and lack of giving a Sh!t is worse now than ever.  I remember even b4 all the electronics,, I would see ppl reading the paper or a book as they cruised down the road.

Being a guy on a motorcycle, this scares the crap outta me everytime I get on the road.
I have what I call and my bike forum  buddies agree, to be a good attitude, its called   Aggressive / Defencive.  Im not trying to piss anyone off, but Im not letting them push me around either.  It happens, but as long as Im of the mind set that I am everyones moving target, it keeps me ahead of the fools.,,,, So far.  Ive been down 2 times, both minor thank god, I like to think that by having a good respect for the dangers and two bike safety courses (basic and experienced) it helps me to stay alive. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Zurf wrote:

That sort of rule - watch where you're going - tends to be self-enforcing.

If you do not teach your children that the laws of physics are unbreakable, immutable, and not subject to appeal, they will learn it anyway.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]