Re: Scales

I've never really bothered with scales on the guitar. I used to play bass in a band so I know some from that but I only play chords on a guitar so is it worth learning them? Almost every guitar tutorial has scales right at the start but I've always assumed that they are teaching them for soloing pruposes only. Am I right?

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

I'll let you know.  Whether or not the scales themselves prove useful, the precision, speed, timing, and pick control aspects are already showing themselves to be valuable.  Topdown commented that he thought my picking had improved the other night on the Chordie jam.  My left hand is definitely limbering up.  Working in bass runs seems easier.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good point. Hadn't thought of it that way before. I do struggle with pick control, especially when skipping strings and quite often hit the wrong one. Hmmmm. Guess I'll go and dig out that scale book. Now......where did I put it?

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)