Topic: What kind of neck profile do you prefer?

I didn't know that guitars have different neck profiles, but I've started to learn about them.  My brother's D-16 Adirondack has a V shaped profile that's hard for me to play. My brother likes it because he can use his thumb to fret (my thumb isn't long enough to do much more than get in the way). On the other hand, my Ovation has a C-shaped profile that think is nice and comfy. I got to try a Taylor that was a joy to play. I had heard people talk about some guitars having a "fast neck" and that Taylor sure had one. Maybe it had something to do with the profile?

Anyway, what kind of neck do you like?

Re: What kind of neck profile do you prefer?

Hi mb,I do not have a proper answer,but I do know that all the necks on my guitars do feel a little different, I have an Espana 335 copy and the neck makes it very fast and easy too play,(b and f chords are easy with it).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Dino,

Here an illustration about different neck profiles--you might recognize some of yours.

http://www.rocketmusiconline.com/necks.html

Thats a good sight,I enjoyed reading some of it. thanks for sharing.I think I have 3 of these styles. How is your dad's crop doing? I have heard alot of americas farmers are really hurting because of the drought.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I really like the soft V I replaced my old neck with I have smaller hands and it allows me to grab any chord form I want as well as fret some solos smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

dino48 wrote:

Thats a good sight,I enjoyed reading some of it. thanks for sharing.I think I have 3 of these styles. How is your dad's crop doing? I have heard alot of americas farmers are really hurting because of the drought.

Thanks for asking! What I'm about to tell you--my dad would kill me for this, because farmers hate to talk about this with outsiders--is that this will be a very good year for us. We live in Southeastern Minnesota, with 200 acres in corn, 100 acres in soybeans, and 30 milch cows with about 15 acres for pasture and about 10 acres of woods on the ridge that's too steep to be farmed--my dad wants to do away with dairying, but my mom grew up with cows, and it was her parent's farm so . . .

Anyway, a lot of farmers are suffering, but we were blessed with just enough rain, in fact, some of the biggest crop yields in the state are going to be in our county, about 190 bushels/acre. At $8 a bushel, dad's estimating our corn crop to bring in a little over $300,000! I don't know about the soybeans yet. My dad feels kind of guilty about the whole thing because commodity prices are often proped up by government decisions--especially laws encouraging ethanol. Dad say's a lot of farmers are "tighter than a duck's ass" and think they shouldn't have to pay much in taxes even though the government has been turning them all into millionaries with the farm program. Dad wants an end to the "Bush-era tax cuts"--I don't know what they are, but he says they're bad. 

Now you know why the price for good farm land is going through the roof. My mom and dad were lucky--they bought the farm from my grandparents when prices were more reasonable, and they paid it off over 20 years. A few years ago people were shocked when people were getting $6000 an acre. Now it's over $10,000 and climbing. I read about 120 acres in Northwest Iowa that just went for 20,000 an acre!   That's one of reasons family farms are disappearing--a lot of farmers are selling out to corporations who are buying up farms as fast they can. They're the only ones who can afford to buy farm land anymore. Once they own the land, they tear down the old farm houses, the barns, the silos, the out buildings, and sell off the livestock and machinery and it's just wall to wall crops. In the spring they come in with a planter and in summer with a sprayer, then in the fall with the combines, but nobody lives on those farms anymore.  There are fewer and fewer kids to go to school, fewer parents to serve on the PTA, no one to eat at the cafes or buy things at the local grocery stories or go to the country churches or be on the volunteer fire departments--it's funny how success can ruin things.

Wow MB - I just learned a lot in a short amount of time, about farming, economy, and politics.  Thank you very much for sharing the inside story of the farmer.  I'm glad to hear all will be good this year for your dad.  The downfall is that next year could be different, and that's how it is in any self run business... putting money away for the rough times takes a lot of intelligence and willpower... something most of us who earn an hourly wage are very poor at doing.  I salute the true American farmer (not the corporations purchasing their lots).  smile  Your parents are rare in this age.  I think you're very blessed to be raised by them and to be learning a lot of things the RIGHT way!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Wow MB - I just learned a lot in a short amount of time, about farming, economy, and politics.  Thank you very much for sharing the inside story of the farmer.  I'm glad to hear all will be good this year for your dad.  The downfall is that next year could be different, and that's how it is in any self run business... putting money away for the rough times takes a lot of intelligence and willpower... something most of us who earn an hourly wage are very poor at doing.  I salute the true American farmer (not the corporations purchasing their lots).  smile  Your parents are rare in this age.  I think you're very blessed to be raised by them and to be learning a lot of things the RIGHT way!  smile

mb my thoughts are pretty much like amy's and you should be proud of your dad and mom,thanks for the interesting story also.

I find that V shaped necks give me a better grip for string bending. I like a deeper neck. Just me though. smile

i've always thought of necks as either the FENDER NECK or the GIBSON NECK! the Fender being rounded and the Gibby flat, which i can't stand and is the reason i've never had one. but thanks for the info, it just goes to show that it doesn't matter how old you are (61) or how long you've been playing (46 years) there's still more to learn...let the music play on...play on

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

11 (edited by beamer 2012-09-05 03:41:00)

I honestly never thought about how a neck is shaped,  If it feels good, it works.  Nver quite got the V neck thing,,(outside of a sweater or T-shirt)  but most seem to be U shaped or flatter [  Depends on what style  I'm playing ,, and I dont play well enough to get to twisted over it big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

I honestly never thought about how a neck is shaped,  If it feels good, it works.  Nver quite got the V neck thing,,(outside of a sweater or T-shirt)  but most seem to be U shaped or flatter [  Depends on what style  I'm playing ,, and I dont play well enough to get to twisted over it big_smile

Same here. I never gave it any thought. If it feels good, play it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.