Topic: Tendonitis

OK, how do the rest of you deal with it?  I've got painful tendonitis in my left thumb/wrist, making it nearly impossible to play for more than a few minutes.  I'm in physical therapy, and I think it's getting better, but it's been over 6 months with this.  Suggestions?

Re: Tendonitis

grayeagle,the right thing to do would be too talk to your therapy worker, take your guitar in with you and let them see what you do with it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yep.  I second dino48.  Also Ben Gay has been my friend for a long time.  Tendonitis usually requires rest, so while we normally say practice, practice, practice, this may be a good time for you to set the guitar aside for a while and see how you like harmonica.  When your wrist is feeling better, break the guitar back out. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Just yesterday at the house I was working on, the owner asks me if I have ever used horse liniment. He was rubbing it on his elbow and said it works better than Ben Gay. He's in his mid to late sixties I think.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard a lot about horse linament over the years.  it is supposed to be wonderful.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

zguitar wrote:

Just yesterday at the house I was working on, the owner asks me if I have ever used horse liniment. He was rubbing it on his elbow and said it works better than Ben Gay. He's in his mid to late sixties I think.

I have also heard that it is good on sore muscles etc. You might also think about getting a small electric piano for awile,you can pick them up cheap and they are fun too play,I have a yamaha I payed $60.00 for and I enjoy playing it when my fingers get tired from guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

GE,
I'm going thru tendonitius in my left hand,mostly thumb area. Very painful as you said. I played Fri. and Sat nights july thru aug. and now have some time off. My friend in the health field has been helping me out.Your therapist will lead you to the right outcome. Here's a couple things that are working for me . Cold pack right after direct use of left hand , followed by heat. 15-20 minutes each. Then repeat heat later. I also purchased an Ace brand Thumb Stabilizing brace. It keeps you from over working your thumb. I've also slowed down as much use of my left hand as possible. Mine is feeling much better in the last week. But as you were most likely told this can take a long time to heal. Advil was also advised if you can use it.
I hope this helps a little and good luck.
    Joe

Back to what benson posted = go to your neighborhood feed store and look for a "lotion" called " 3 Old Goats".
This stuff works!

Nela

You might also want to consider talking to a guitar instructor who really knows proper form.  I have read that this can cause lots of pain for some people and he might be ablel to advises you on better ways to hold your guitar for doing the chordings you like

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

A few years back I had something going on with my left thumb.. at the base of it, a bump stuck out and made it difficult to form chords, etc..  went to the doc and got a shot of cortisone in it..  now, it almost seems unimaginable to get a shot in that part of your thumb/hand..  but - while it really hurt to get the shot, it helped the problem tremendously.  Not sure if we're talking the same thing here but that's my story..   good luck to you.  Deb

Amen Beamer. How do you play...sitting up? Standing down? Guitar slung high? Guitar slung low? The low "Zak Wylde" style of playing is a great way to blow your wrist out. sad

Baldguitardude wrote:

Amen Beamer. How do you play...sitting up? Standing down? Guitar slung high? Guitar slung low? The low "Zak Wylde" style of playing is a great way to blow your wrist out. sad

NO sh!t all the 80s guys seem to rip and have that thing at the knees!  How the He!! Zack does it after all these years is beyond me. On electric I keep it at mid waist, acoustic, a little higher.          ( shucking power chords and root 5ths you can get away with a little lower)
My son always wants his Flying V slung low,, but then cant figure out why he can't hit the chords,, but he wont listen to me,,,, Dads dont know as much as the teacher or the best friend LOLOLOL. (To the teachers credit he told him to hike it up also)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

AS a side note,,, how heavy a grip are you using? this can cause a lot of stress on the thumb.  Have you ever concidered electric?put 9s on there and you can use a feather touch. run it though an amp on a clean setting with a bit of delay and chorus or reverb and chorus  and use your middle or neck or combo of the two P/Ups.  This can can keep you playing and you may not have the pain.

That's true too on the hand touch. OP should post pictures of his playing position.

I get cramping in my fingers,legs,chest and toes and its very uncomfortable the only thing that works fast for me is Icy Hot it smells like menthol and dont rub or get it near your eyes or you will be howling but it relieves the cramping and takes away the pain for me anyway.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

16 (edited by lee585 2012-10-02 13:56:27)

Tyson7 wrote:

GE,
I'm going thru tendonitius in my left hand,mostly thumb area. Very painful as you said. I played Fri. and Sat nights july thru aug. and now have some time off. My friend in the health field has been helping me out.Your therapist will lead you to the right outcome. Here's a couple things that are working for me . Cold pack right after direct use of left hand , followed by heat. 15-20 minutes each. Then repeat heat later. I also purchased an Ace brand Thumb Stabilizing brace. It keeps you from over working your thumb. I've also slowed down as much use of my left hand as possible. Mine is feeling much better in the last week. But as you were most likely told this can take a long time to heal. Advil was also advised if you can use it.
I hope this helps a little and good luck.
    Joe

I guess one way to treat this is give your hands a little time to recover? Like maybe a month break? I did this and it's effective.

generic retin-a