1 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-11-04 17:29:25)

Topic: Anybody know anything about cats.

My daughters cat isn`t eating and is getting really thin. Anybody know what to do.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Anybody know anything about cats.

If there cat isn't in obvious pain (meowing constantly or purring loudly) then you can probably rule out injury.  If that's the case, my first two guesses would be worms and/or a big hairball which is causing a blockage.  Regardless, a visit to the vet is in order ASAP.

Good luck.

'Nom

PS:  I'm not a vet, just recalling experience.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

It is afraid to come downstairs to eat. We have a dog too. We just started leaving food and water upstairs to see if it eats there. It had the run of the house until the dog came into the picture. If it doesnt start eating it will go to the vets. We have a cat hospital less than a mile away . The cat is old but my daughter loves it and I don`t want anything to happen to it. Thanks for the help

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

OK, well, that's a different matter.  Cats are territorial, while dogs are pack animals.  If the cat is old and has had the run of the house for years and all of a sudden there's a dog it its territory, my guess is that the cat is just upset.

If a cat feels like it could challenge and "conquer" the dog (not necessarily kill it, just show it who is boss), it would.  Otherwise, they just tend to sulk.

Anyway, with this new info, it sounds more psychological than physical.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

5 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-11-04 17:11:44)

JJJ, cats are very territorial and if the dogs new your cat will be REALLY put out. It's a good call to put the food upstairs. With the cat being old it may not feel able to take on the dog to show it who's boss, this is really important for a cat.

Where does your cat go upstairs? Cats always need a place where they feel safe, this might under a bed or pretty much anywhere, put its food and water there and make a fuss of the cat, let it know that its still loved and hope for the best. Cats are pretty adaptable but if the dogs new, rest assured the cat will be major league unhappy.

We had a cat that had nervous problems, he was overgrooming and making himself bald in places, The vet gave him the equivalent of prozac! It may sound bizarre but it worked wonders. Animals get mental problems as well as physical ones and at the moment your cat is probably feeling usurped, you'll have see what happens but definately ask your vet for advice.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

6 (edited by dino48 2012-11-04 19:36:05)

jjj take the cat too the vets,you should not hesitate they do not make much noise even if they are in pain. Male cats have alot of problems with getting stoppages verses female cats,males have a lot of trouble with eliminating waste. I have had this trouble with you my male cats in the past and found it was caused by food with too much ash. Probably not a good idea too put your phone number out here. good luck jjj. I also think you should look at the last few days and try too remember how much stool and wet droppings you have got out of its cat litter box it is an important indicator,the cat may also be very de-hydrated at this point.If you can take its temp whith a rectal thermator do so,cats usual temp is around 103, temps above that indicate something is not right.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The cat eats baby food  if we bring the food to her. It sleeps in my daughters room. Has always done that since we got it from the shelter back in 2003. This cat has always had trouble holding food. It is drinking water. It also will take on any dog. A pitbull went after it once and  the cat won.  So our shitzu isnt going to hurt it much.  Maybe it is enjoying the room service.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Baby food is not a correct diet for a cat and could be part of its weight loss problem. You could try giving her some raw chicken breast. If taken from the fridge, mix with a little hot water to bring it to room temperature. One of my cats will not eat any processed cat food whatsoever and has raw chicken every day, the other two only get it occasionally as a treat. There is also a dispenser with Whiskas cat biscuits for anytime snacks for them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

9 (edited by HungerGames111 2012-11-04 23:31:19)

When we found our cat, we fed her canned tuna for a while. It got her nice and fat.

Tip of the week: stay CLEAR of cybermen!!!

P.S. I will try to change this every week at the longest

Loss of appetite, weakness and weight loss are also early symptoms of feline leukemia.  Has your cat had its shots? If not, you might want to have your vet run tests.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I don't know diddly about cats, but I hate it when the quadrapeds are sick.  I hope she gets to feeling tip-top real quick.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sounds like kitty's getting old.  All good advise above.  Check to make sure her belly doesn't seem to be getting bigger while everything else points to weight loss, as that could be a very terrible illness.  Vet is a good idea, but it sure could be that she's just annoyed with the dog being in her home.  Cooked or raw meat is a good idea.  If she doesn't get excited about that, I'd be quite concerned.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

13 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-11-05 23:36:25)

This may sound mean to all of you but I had to rush the dog to a vet this morning. My wife and daughter will bring the cat to the  Auburn Cat Hospital tomorrow. I also got no enjoyment explaining to my daughter (the trout) why I took the dog and not the cat. The dog is only 7 months old and the cat is 11 years old. She was very good about it. She has had this cat since she was 6. She is now 15. We have prepared her for the worst and are hoping for the best. Before anyone calls me mean or heartless, I am getting no enjoyment out of any of this. This is almost as bad as when I had to tell her that her favorite uncle died. It isn`t fun, but it happens.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

jjj 11 years old is not that old for a cat,they have a longer lifespan then a dog 17 to 20 years old,you should not give up on the cat. my oldest cat is almost 19.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

We are not giving up on it Dino. She came downstairs looking for food last night. Too bad the dishes were upstairs. I`m no vet but I know that is a good sign.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

my father had a great cure, it needs a bag and a river or a barrel of water and a stick to hold it under for a few minutes...

i'm not an animal lover, it's like snow, it looks better on TV than in real life.

it may be because after having dogs and cats, budgies gold fish etc and they all died leaving me sad so i'd rather be without them.

i used to have a mouse, but the cat ate it and choked while the dog was chasing it across the road, and it got hit by a car being driven by a budgie and a fish which crashed into a wall.....

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

We are not giving up on it Dino. She came downstairs looking for food last night. Too bad the dishes were upstairs. I`m no vet but I know that is a good sign.

jjj,thats real good news,when they eat and drink it means they feel better,keep us updated!

18 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-11-06 23:11:59)

Thank you so much for all the help and suggestions. Unfortunately we had to have the cat put down. It had pneumonia and  was couldn`t breathe  this morning. The vet suggested having her put down. This has been going on for about a week. I just didn`t notice anything wrong until saturday. Once again  thanx  for all the help and well wishes. As far as Phil Williams comment goes. I will simply ignore it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I'm very sorry to hear of it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

jjj, I am real sorry too hear that,I hope your daughter will understand.

Jx3 so sorry she did not make it. Here is what I did when I lost one of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgBQ3DD … ature=plcp
Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thnx again everyone. My daughter is being very good about it. My wife was more upset than anyone. Time to move on. Like Roger said. Business as usual.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Roger Guppy wrote:

Jx3 so sorry she did not make it. Here is what I did when I lost one of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgBQ3DD … ature=plcp
Roger

Roger that was really well done,kind of bittersweet,looks like you and I are the cat advocats here.

As a cat person with a moggy that has been a beloved member of our family for 11 years, you have my sympathy. making the decision to put a pet down is agonising, partly because you can't explain to them that you are doing it to spare them suffering.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Very sorry to hear that the cat had to be put down.  It's a sad feeling.  We had to put one of our kitties down a while ago due to illness, knowing what the vet would say I meanly sent my hubby to do the dirty deed.  I had to take his dog into the vet to put the dog down when he was to the point of pain causing him to snap at the kids and losing his functions in the house without getting up from where he was laying.  Neither of us looks forward to doing either of those things again any time soon.  Glad to hear that Guppy is taking it fairly well.  Sorry to hear your wife is not.  Furry family members.  sad

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.