Topic: New Recording additons

I decided to not wait till Christmas and added some new gear my SR-16 is kaput so I replaced it with a small electronic kit Yamaha YDD 40 Rhythm machine and for my recording playback I ordered studio monitors Behringer MS16 powered studio monitors.First the drums,I was looking for something that not only plays pre-recorded patterns but allows you to use either drumsticks or your hands to strike the pads and featured multiple sound kits at a resonable price.This took a while I almost opted to replace the SR-16 with another but the one drawback was the small pads this was in the end the deciding factor.Second I have been useing my Sonic PA for playback but all mixing is done with my headset I needed studio monitors that could serve two purposes for playback and for my laptop (I like it loud lol ) pricewise what I settled on fit the bill for quality and cost and should make a nice additon to my video setup Im looking forward to recording some new ideas I have dealing with slide blues and alternate tunings keep ya posted when smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: New Recording additons

Sound like you got some new things in store russell,be glad too see them theslide blues sounds exciting.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

New toys rock.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I just got an email the Yamaha drum kit is ready to pickup at Walmart my studio monitors will be here next week or earlier and I have been moving my recording gear around to make room so I can get into it I hope tomorrow will go as well smile

We will be waiting too see your next tune russell!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

This new drum kit (I dont like calling it a machine) has not only the same features as the SR but the pads are like real drum pads,you have the option of switching to a "hands only" feature that adjusts the volume and sensitivity of each pad there is another cool funtion there are 99 voices for each pad and 50 patterns that you can play live to and if you want to mute the musical accompanment and just hear the pattern thats easy to do,a tempo tap feature lets you set the tempo for any pattern this is a lot of bang for 89 bucks and is in my humble opinion superior to the Alesis sr oh yea it came with a nice headset and power adapter I love it already I cant wait till my studio monitors arrive later this week time to start writting some tunes. smile

A added plus, my old Yamaha footswitch plugs in and operates the bass drum pedal,I most likely will be useing the pre programmed patterns and adding some fills here and there and the nice thing is i can create my own intros and this is vital for arranging some tasty song arrangments.I have the music for my new song pretty much arranged its just a matter of fitting the lyrics to the music or the other way around Ive been sidetracked with the election but that will end today (thank God) I just need a few days to get comfy with the new rhythm kit. smile

Russel- got those new Behringer MS16 powered studio monitors.  Anxious to know how they sound!

In my late teens I had a drug problem...now in my sixties all my problems have a drug.

richeverman wrote:

Russel- got those new Behringer MS16 powered studio monitors.  Anxious to know how they sound!

As am I.  I just bought a new Audio-Technica turntable (old school!) and need something to run the audio through.  They looked small enough not to be intrusive in the office, but I am curious about how they sound.

I have researched the web and some folks are adding a sub woofer I seen a nice one at a resale shop for 4 bucks almost bought it,the speakers will arrive this week if they need more bass I can always add the sub woofer for a few buks more keep ya posted smile

These are the powered speakers I purchased all the cables come with it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00097 … Promotions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7MW60o … re=related

found this one for you guys

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

They sound nice,good range of eq's mine are a little smaller only because I dont need all the volume and I can always kick the bass thru my sonic speakers or get a sub woofer but these would be a good choice smile

beamer wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7MW60o … re=related

found this one for you guys

Ok my report on the MS16 monitors,first if your looking for monitors that boom these aint it the sub woofers are nice but they dont have the speaker size and power to punch like there bigger brothers they do offer one nice feature I found out by trial and error.I have been doing all my mixes by plugging into my BR-8 earphone input with my Sony headset when I plugged direct into the MS16 headphone input I was surprised and shocked to find the frequency responses were much improved the eq's were sharper and more defined as were the pans this comes as a surprise only because all my previous mixes have been direct to the BR8 it seems if I want the kickbutt sound and punch I will have to upgrade but there is a workaround I have been wanting to upgrade my home entertainment system and it seems I can plug my Redcorder,TV,DVD into one unit so I will make the investment and have the best of both worlds and while im at it get a larger tv (I like to treat myself good) money aint no good in the grave lol I recorded a few tracks of my new song its still in the early stages of development but I'll stay at it so I think I will do a little shopping online for some more toys smile Jerome nice video of you in Seattle smile

richeverman wrote:

I must be going nuts but I asked Amazon to refund my purchase or apply the refund to these monitors
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1030A/
Amazon wants more then this supplier so I think I will have them just refund and go ahead and get these from this supplier unless they match the price but I need some more bang and punch and these can be adjusted for room size as well as input power,good reviews on them smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

smile Jerome nice video of you in Seattle smile

richeverman wrote:

Ha!  My whole family was giving me crap about that.  I spoke to the reporter for about a minute going on about government intrusion into persons homes, etc...  and they broke it down to "(so) if I want to sit in my house and smoke pot all day I should be able to do that."

big_smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

I must be going nuts but I asked Amazon to refund my purchase or apply the refund to these monitors
Amazon wants more then this supplier so I think I will have them just refund and go ahead and get these from this supplier unless they match the price but I need some more bang and punch and these can be adjusted for room size as well as input power,good reviews on them smile

Russell.. I think you will need to add a subwoofer to get the sound you are looking for or go to a larger speaker...8" or bigger.

In my late teens I had a drug problem...now in my sixties all my problems have a drug.

Just a word on monitors.   If you are using them for mixing, rather than casual listening, I wouldn't get anything that required a subwoofer, or did any other tone shaping at all.   When you're mixing, you want to hear what was recorded with as much fidelity as possible.   If your monitors are acting like commercial speakers and pumping up the bass, your final mix is going to be colored by those speakers.

What makes good mixing monitors is a neutral response curve.   That way if the bass is thin, you'll know it, rather than having that hidden by them.

The speakers I really want I will have to wait for at least till next month they  are Behringer "Truth" with a 8" woofer they cost a few hundred dollars I think the MS40 model will be more then adequite and Jerome I purchased the DVD Battleship and loved it very entertaining and a feel good ending,regarding the speakers I think it is really the headphone set I am useing the Sonys i have are over 20 yrs old time to upgrade smile

I agree with you 100% smile

richeverman wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Russell.. I think you will need to add a subwoofer to get the sound you are looking for or go to a larger speaker...8" or bigger.

Russell_Harding wrote:

The speakers I really want I will have to wait for at least till next month they  are Behringer "Truth" with a 8" woofer they cost a few hundred dollars I think the MS40 model will be more then adequite and Jerome I purchased the DVD Battleship and loved it very entertaining and a feel good ending,regarding the speakers I think it is really the headphone set I am useing the Sonys i have are over 20 yrs old time to upgrade smile

When I was buying my KRKs, I looked hard at the Truth 2031s.  They sounded fantastic and provided a bit better low end response than the KRKs I finally settled on.     They're good kit.

And Battleship was a freaking awesome movie.

hi russ,

i blew a stage speaker recently and was one click away from buying a pair of Beringers with 12 inch drivers, but i was told by my agent that they were rather toppy! so i bought a pair of lany's instead...wish i'd gone with the beringers now as the lanys dont seem to have any top at all!

i notice you can buy musical gear from walmart, who bought out our asda chain, i have yet to see any musical gear there, they do some audio, tv and Pc stuff, maybe musical is next?

good luck with your new kit

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks Phill nice to hear from you again,I sent my MS16 back it cost me 14 bucks for shipping so lets see.. they cost me 79 dollars minus 14 that means I will be getting a refund of 79 but in reality 65 dollars live and learn I just have to bite the bullet on this one the MS16's need a separate sub woofer to sound good so back to the drawing board I am going to see what guitar center has I am calling them because they have a location about 20 miles away they may have some good used recording monitors hopefully Rockit or Beheringer Truth let ya know smile

Ok so I sent the smaller MS16's back and just ordered the Behringer MS 40 monitors and two metal grills total cost was $125.48 the shipping was free with amazon super saver they should arrive in about a week or so till then I can use my Logitec PC monitors for playback there kinda big so I know they can handle some volume smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

Thanks Phill nice to hear from you again,I sent my MS16 back it cost me 14 bucks for shipping so lets see.. they cost me 79 dollars minus 14 that means I will be getting a refund of 79 but in reality 65 dollars live and learn I just have to bite the bullet on this one the MS16's need a separate sub woofer to sound good so back to the drawing board I am going to see what guitar center has I am calling them because they have a location about 20 miles away they may have some good used recording monitors hopefully Rockit or Beheringer Truth let ya know smile

Guitar center pro-audio spaces are great for testing this stuff out.  Tell them you're looking for a pair of studio monitors, and they'll run a signal through a whole bunch of different ones so you can compare.