Topic: Strings

I found this whilst getting lost on the interwebs.

http://www.professorstring.com/archives … trings.php

Very interesting. I use Dean Markley Vintage Bronze strings. They are 85/15. Maybe I should try anther brand just to see if 80/20 sounds any different. I have used the Markley Blue Steel strings. They are actually 92/8 Phos bronze. I remember them being much brighter than the Vintage Bronze tho. I've also tried some Phos bronze of another brand and didn't like the sound at all.

So let me ask you all, what are the best strings? Just kidding. I know there is no best, just different.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Strings

Thats a tough one,I think it depends on the individuals taste I use Martin Silk n Steel on my acoustic only because I like the ease and sound but they have a short lifespan.my Strat is setup with slinkys .09 to .042 this works best for my needs smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Thats a tough one,I think it depends on the individuals taste I use Martin Silk n Steel on my acoustic only because I like the ease and sound but they have a short lifespan.my Strat is setup with slinkys .09 to .042 this works best for my needs smile

I used to use Martin silk and steels on my acoustics. Like Russell said, they do have a short life span but they sound and feel great. The reason I stopped using them, they changed the packaging. Now I use Ernie Ball Earthwoods Lights. 11s on my acoustic. For my electrics, I use my tried and true brands. Whatever is cheapest at the time as long as they start with a 10. On electrics I really cant tell the difference between sounds. Just dont buy a brand called ROUNDS. I did once at a flea market. Used them for a week, took them off and threw the other 2 sets away. People will disagree when I say I can`t tell the difference between electric strings. But they will agree that there is no question that you can tell when you get a set of bad strings.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

The Rounds are smoother to the touch and minus the twang of regular wound strings I would guess these are the choice of Jazz guitarist or house band guitar players in Vegas or other showrooms they have a long life and deliver a mellow sound I dont care for them either.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i like fender strings for my tele. i bought 4 sets time before last and they were super duper, but didn't last very long. i got fender super bullets last time, 9-42 from a bargain site, they do the job but lack the sound i want. i wont use ernie ball as they are too bendy. i tend to be a bit heavy handed so they're in constant motion so sound out of tune!

i use martins on my acoustic 10 gauge which i like (also from the bargain site)

i got some australian strings for electric guitar which lost their tone very quickly, wont use them again, but the bass guitar strings are still on.

i used to like ghs on my strat, but they don't work so well on my tele.

it's much of a muchness really, horses for courses. you have to experiment (which could work out expensive) until you get the sound, feel and price you want.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.