Topic: First world problem

I have been playing Boomer the past week.  Boomer is my Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee.  It is a thing of beauty and the sound is so sweet.  Unfortunately, my right shoulder has been in intense pain.  I noticed that the pain is far worse when I am playing Boomer.  I've been playing Tiny for a good while and my shoulder was fine.  Tiny is the Breedlove OM Retro that I bought from Dirty Ed.  I'm thinking it may be time to get rid of my dreadnaughts.  The nice thing is, I may be able to trade pretty close to even for a Martin 000-15M.  We'll see how it goes. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: First world problem

I know where you're coming from Zurf.  I played a Guild Jumbo for several years until an accident while on a kayak trip messed up my right shoulder and I couldn't play more than 10 minutes before the pain set in.  Dropped down in size to a dreadnaught for several years but eventually that became painful to play.  I've been playing 000 and OM size guitars for the last few years but since my last shoulder operation, I'm thinking about trying out a parlor size.  Gettin old sux. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thank goodness for smaller guitars.  I hope you get the Martin Zurf.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf, if I lived closer to you, and I thought it would help, I'd hand over my Epiphone and my Ibanez to help you with your trade in money on the Martin.  Your comments on it helped cement the deal for me and I feel like I owe you.  Good luck!  I hope all goes well for you.  I honestly don't ever pull my dread down off the wall anymore.  The Martin is just so comfy.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I hope you will get a good trade and be able too get a Martin,someday I will join in and own a Martin also I just have too keep saving. I also hope you will get rid of the pain.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've changed the position I hold it, and that seems to be helping a lot.  The body is lower, the neck is on an upward angle, but it's still on my right leg.  It's kind of a cross between traditional folk position and a classical position.  That puts my elbow a WHOLE lot lower and seems to be making all the difference.  To cross-thread a bit, the position has me strumming several inches closer to the neck than previously - basically at the very top of the soundhole rather than the bottom third, but I haven't noticed any difference in tone. 

I'd like to keep this Guild because it is such a beauty, but if I can't play it then there's no sense in keeping it. 

Amy - Thanks for the thought.  I've got enough instruments here to sweeten the pot if I need to.  There's an Ibanez electric I never play and is in perfect condition, and a solid mahogany Ovation bass that's probably worth about the same as the Martin.  The Guild retails for more than double the price of the Martin (I didn't pay anything close to that for it).  So in all, I've been well blessed instrument-wise and am in good shape.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I've changed the position I hold it, and that seems to be helping a lot.  The body is lower, the neck is on an upward angle, but it's still on my right leg.  It's kind of a cross between traditional folk position and a classical position.  That puts my elbow a WHOLE lot lower and seems to be making all the difference . . .

You beat me to it.  I was going to suggest this very thing.

I'm a righty, and a year or so ago I found that resting the guitar on my left leg and raising the neck helped a whole lot of things.  Not only is it more ergo-friendly for the shoulder, it puts less strain on my left wrist and helps me with barre chords.  (I still suck at them, but at least now they're not painful.)

Now that you've raised the neck, see how it feels if you move it over and set it on your left leg.  Once you get used to it I think you'll like it even more.  It doesn't look as cool as having the guitar on your right leg, but personally I'm past the point of caring.

Anyway, glad you seem to have found a solution.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I reckon it looks cool resting on the left leg, like a classical or an old blues player.

rotoiti wrote:

I reckon it looks cool resting on the left leg, like a classical or an old blues player.

I agree, I said it doesn't look AS cool.  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I switch my guitar position all the time - being small and having some shoulder issues myself.  I believe the video of me playing "in my daughter's eyes" shows me with my dread in such a position, Zurf. 

Glad to hear you've got enough instruments laying around that could be used to help you with the Martin.  Funny thing - at first I kept going back to my dread because I liked the "boom" more in it - but after I stopped being so gentle on the Martin (it is a guitar after all, not a baby), I can get a good solid boom out of it.  I'd hate to get rid of my other guitars because they look so nice on my wall... but I hate knowing someone could use them and they just sit there.  LOL!  If the music teacher at school felt comfy teaching guitar I'd donate them.  Sadly, he's self taught in guitar and won't offer lessons.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I've been lucky enough to play that Guild, and it is indeed a beauty! I would have been very tempted to take it home with me, had I known...
You could possibly try an adjustable footrest, as used by classical players?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic