Topic: How a guitarist's hand stretches over time

This is interesting.  I saw this picture on Reddit.  No description other than the title, which is the same one I used for this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/ZNc36.jpg

I've only been playing for a few years, but I notice the same thing is happening to me.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: How a guitarist's hand stretches over time

I think he is over exaggerating a little. Look at his middle finger. See how it's angled? He is pushing his palm towards the left to get his pinky way out there. That's why the tips are together but not where his fingers meet his hand. Try it, I did the same thing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh.  Happens to horn players too.  Take a look at a trumpeteer's right hand pinky.  It's stretched WAAAAAY out there, plus a trombonists left thumb.  Both of these from the way the instrument is held.  Anything you do that takes strength and dexterity will affect the body.  If it doesn't, you probably aren't doing it right.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That may be a little put on, but I do believe that with stretching a lot, your body gets longer to a point.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Mine got longer protecting my wallet from a money hungry ex-wife.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

OK, well, it obviously wasn't as interesting to others as I thought it was.

When I was growing up my right fingers were longer than my left.  That has changed in recent years.  Currently, with the tip of my left pinky (fretting hand) on the nut, I can reach past the ninth fret with the tip of my thumb.  With my right hand I can get about 8 1/2.  It's a combination of finger elongation and span increase.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

So I wonder how many Chordians around the world right now are looking at their hands to see if their fingers have stretched. It worked ith me!
Isnt it amazing - the power of the internet. I guess if you started a story that Scotsmen were prone to webbing between their toes because of the cold damp weather, youwould be surprised at the number of people who would believe it. Oh My God, my toes...

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I think there is truth to flexability of the fingers from playing over a few years, I can reach and play chords from the first fret to the sixth and I have normal or even small hands in comparison to some. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Interesting! I can reach to the 8th fret with my left hand, and about 7 1/2th fret with my right, so you're doing pretty well!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic