Topic: A good day

Yesterday (Sunday the 2nd)  I was sitting in the Jr. Highschool Gym while my son had backet ball pratice for his youth legue.  I see a kid about 13 or 14 walk in with his mom and pop carying a acoustic.  I keep watching my son, but as I hear him playing Marcie Playground's sex and candy,
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH3tqKZewa8 ) Im pretty impressed.  Mainly cause he is too young to have known about this song except from his parents.  After listening to him a few more min, I asked him if he knew how to play All along the Watch tower  and Hey Joe. He said no, I said I can teach you in 5 min.  It was cool.  We sat on the bleachers and I showed him how to play the rythm for the two songs (which he had never heard) taught him the Pentatonic scale, which he was using in the marcy playground song and didnt know what it was) and showed him barr chord tricks and root 5ths, and taught him some finger excersizes.  He was like a sponge. just absorbing it like crazy.  It felt good to be able to show the kid things he didnt know.  He is teaching himself primarily from you tube and learning from his  cowboy church band. 

He is only here every 2 weeks, So I told him I would be sure to remember to bring my guitar and Ill show him some more stuff.   

Just thought Idd share.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: A good day

Good on you beamer!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

sounds like a good plan,the kid sounds talanted.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Way to go Scott!!!! Let these young kids know what good music is.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

Way to go Scott!!!! Let these young kids know what good music is.

lol I think a few members here would question my judgement! LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL lol

That being said along with the above mentioned songs,, We touched on Claptain (cocain) The Who (Icant explain), Ramones (Blitskreig Bop) and a church song. and a little Ted Nugent trick.  Next Ill do Light my fire and R.O.C.K in the USA w/ the what I like about you thrown in. and maybe some Monkeys Stepping stone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Awesome!

Bring 'em up.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good work Beamer! I think I could use some of those lessons myself...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

The kid was here yesterday, i was not ready,, he was supposed to be here next week, but with the hollidays his dads weekends are messed up.  I was playing cold so to speak.  but was able to pull out rock in the usa and stepping stone.  and just let him play stuff and let him know when his form was not the best or tips on better ways to hit a note.  he has a great ear and learns that wqay. he was showing me some stuff i didnt know. so once again,, a good ssession. (but man did I have a headach when I got there, slept the rest of the afternoon when i got home.0