Topic: Archery

My daughters are both interested in learning archery.  When I was a kid, the high school had an archery range in the basement.  Also a rifle range.  Not likely in northern Virginia!  But I was surprised to find a regional park here that offers lessons and even a club for kids!  Intro lesson is only $30/kid.  I'm really stoked.  Another fellow is going to give me - GIVE me - a bow for them to use.  Sportsmen are just all kinds of cool.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Archery

Sounds like some good recreation for you and your daughters too enjoy and spend time toghter,and you get a free bow ,thats great. Can you bow fish in virginia?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It's legal to bowfish certain waters in Virginia, but I haven't any interest in it.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf,
By any chance have your daughters watched the movie "The Hunger Games"?

I got my first bow and arrow when I was about 5-6. My friend across the street had a bow also. I remember us shooting the arrows straight up and then standing still waiting for them to return to Earth. No one was ever hurt but not a smart thing to do.
David

No.  A movie about children being forced to fight to the death by their government is too intense for my children's psyche.  If they want to see it when they're older and more prepared, I'll watch it first and then decide.  But right now, no chance.  The eldest tried archery at Girl Scout Camp and loved it, so she wants to do more.  The youngest wants to do whatever the eldest says is fun.

We set up archery targets and did a little unit each year in the high school.  Too bad my kids go to such a small school, they won't ever get to do that.  I loved it when I was younger!  As long as that bow isn't too heavy, I think the girls might like it too... remember to protect their arms though!  Nothing turns people off from playing around with bows and arrows quicker than hurting yourself when letting go of the string!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Yeah.  We see in the news the hyper sensitivity to guns and weapons over and over.  Those folks would not have done well in my high school, where they owned a bunch of .22 rifles and had a rifle range in the gym basement right next to the wrestling room (not through the wall, mind you).  Everyone knew gun safety rules and how to point and shoot a shoulder weapon by the time they were 12 back where I grew up.  That's not to say that accidents in the field didn't happen when people didn't follow the safety rules, but at least they knew what they were. 

I never got to do archery in high school, though some kids did.  It seems like a lot of fun.  I like target activities.  My eldest has a condition that makes it difficult for her to track an object coming at her quickly or going across her field of vision quickly, which has hampered our playing of ball sports like tennis.  So, when there's a sport where the thing she needs to hit just sits there in the same spot, that's really cool by her way of thinking.