Re: CHORDIESTOCK 2013 - February 23 - Madeira Beach, FL

I live in Madeira Beach - On the Gulf (west) side of St. Petersburg, just south of Clearwater. Tamp International is the closest large airport. There is a small St. Petersburg / Clearwater airport as well (both are equally convenient for me).

This sounds like a good time in the makin'!!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Best prices I've found is Allegiant Air into Tampa, for what it's worth.  I don't know anything about Allegiant Air, but at 1/3 the cost of anyone else, I'll find out soon enough.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well, The kids are actually on vacation that week.  So NOW, we are looking into the possibility of renting a minivan and taking the whole fam damily on vacation to Florida!  We have never done this by the way.  Our biggest vacations have been without the kids.  With the kids, we've gone on staycations (a hotel room about 45 minutes away).  BUT... it's time, so you all might be in for more than you bargained for!  LOL!  Just kidding!  That's what the TEENAGER is for... babysitting while the adults go play!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Can't wait! Really hope everyone can make it...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Zurf wrote:

Best prices I've found is Allegiant Air into Tampa, for what it's worth.  I don't know anything about Allegiant Air, but at 1/3 the cost of anyone else, I'll find out soon enough.

Zurf - I fly the wife down on Allegient on a monthly basis. Definitely a no frills airline - added fees for carry-on's, checked bags, etc. The biggest drawback is they fly a limited schedule. For the wife that is flying down on Thursday's and returning on Sundays - that's the only 2 days they fly from Greensboro. If it's similar for you and you can't pass up the deal I understand - would just hate for you to miss Toney's Jam on Sunday. That said - with this crowd, I'm expecting Toney to join us for an afternoon Jam in addition to the Sunday gig.

I'm hoping to fly home on Thursday.  I've got to drive down to Roanoke, VA to use them, which is about 150 miles, but it's through pretty country on a road I know well.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

This is turning out to be EPIC - We've got me, Toney and Paul confirmed, Zurf, and Wayne sound better than 95%, Amy and Astro seem committed. I've invited Toots via facebook and ... get this..... Old Doll messaged that she may be interested. Chris - I know you are up for a road trip - you in?  February 18th through the 26th - the weekend of 2/22 through 2/25 should be the peak time. Anybody else interested? Average high temps in February are Mid 70's - who else could use a mid-winter break? CHORDIESTOCK Madeira Beach 2013

I'm in.  Time off work is approved.  The trip is wife approved.  All that's left is to book the flight.  Now let's see - two Hawaiian shirts, a pair of swim trunks, and some sandals.  Packing list complete.

We are actually thinking... RV... OMG!  Figured it would cost the same to rent an RV or rent a car and stay in motels.  Although, we've never done the RV thing before.  The movie scares me (that's our luck!  LOL).  I can see us parked in some truck stop somewhere sharing a meal with some scary trucker and Katie saying he looks like Santa.  Oh geez!  Is there a spot to park an RV in front of your place Jeff?  ha ha ha!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

EPIC is the word! If everyone makes it, it'll be standing room only at Jeff's!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

36 (edited by wlbaye 2012-12-21 15:59:55)

I am booked to Fly in on friday the 22- 26th , and have a room at the Hilton. Liz and I will be coming , we decided to spoil ourselves and booked a room at the Hilton smile

If you see a Hillbilly with shorts and legs as white as flour ,a gittar in hand wearing a beat up ole Cowboy Hat and Boots please wave and say "Howdy" smile

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/wlbaye/SpearfishCanyon.jpg

Spearfish Canyon Winter

A couple miles from our Home

Later, Wayne P

^ Awesome Wayne - Looking forward to meeting you and Lizzy! Which Hilton are you staying in Clearwater, Reddington Beach - or on the mainland?

mekidsmom wrote:

We are actually thinking... RV... OMG!  Figured it would cost the same to rent an RV or rent a car and stay in motels.  Although, we've never done the RV thing before.  The movie scares me (that's our luck!  LOL).  I can see us parked in some truck stop somewhere sharing a meal with some scary trucker and Katie saying he looks like Santa.  Oh geez!  Is there a spot to park an RV in front of your place Jeff?  ha ha ha!

I live in a fairly large condo complex - park out front until you get tossed out is what I'd do! If you want power and stuff though - look into Fort De Soto Park - It's less than 20 miles south and I hear its awesome down there. There are closer private RV parks, but I get the feeling they are more permanent residences and not sure they offer short-term rentals.

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore ,

Later, Wayne P

Zurf wrote:

This is turning into a party.

Got room for one more at the party?  After talking to Jennifer about it, looks like we might take a February mini vacation away from family.  Couple days in Savannah GA, day or two in St. Augustine,  a few days in Clearwater, then maybe a day at Bok Gardens and some canoeing in Juniper Springs before heading back north. My birthday is March 1 so it will be an early birthday present. 

We'll be staying in Clearwater so I'll need Jeff's address to put in my GPS to find everyone once we get there. Probably roll in Friday evening and leave Monday morning. Looking forward to meeting new faces and see Paul, Amy, Jim and that Zurf guy again.  I'll throw an extra guitar in the car in case someone flying in needs some wires to mash.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

^ Just sent you an email with my address Dirty Ed - I'm 15 or 20 miles south of Clearwater. This is getting better every day!

topdown wrote:

^ Just sent you an email with my address Dirty Ed - I'm 15 or 20 miles south of Clearwater. This is getting better every day!

Thanks for the info Jeff. According to Mapquest it's 16 miles from the motel in Clearwater.  I just googled a motel on Treasure Island that might work a lot better - 40 bucks a night more, but just 3 miles away from your place.

Ken

^ yeah, unfortunately February is peak season around here, so there are really no bargains to be found. The beaches and sunsets are beautiful though!

topdown wrote:

^ yeah, unfortunately February is peak season around here, so there are really no bargains to be found. The beaches and sunsets are beautiful though!

It's been a long time since I've viewed a sunset in that area and I'm looking forward to it.  My best buddy in high school and college moved to New Port Richey in 1971 and I used to visit him and we'd sometimes hang out in Clearwater and the USF campus in St. Pete. Jen and I spent part of our honeymoon in Clearwater back in '74 and I've got home movies taken a few years later of our two oldest girls rolling out of my old VW bus and running on Clearwater Beach when #2 was still in diapers. But it's been over 25 years since the last time I was in that area. I'll bet like most of Florida its changed a lot.

As eager as I always am to meet up with Dirty Ed, I am very eager to meet his wife.  He has had so many wonderful things to say about her through the years that she can be nothing shy of an angel.  Eager to meet Wayne too. 

Very exciting.  Thanks Jeff and Paul for kicking this off.  This event will be enough to keep me practicing the next couple of months.  I hope Marty and Toots can make it.

Zurf wrote:

Now let's see - two Hawaiian shirts, a pair of swim trunks, and some sandals.  Packing list complete.

That would normally be fine, but check the weather report first! Lows in the 40's this weekend and high only of 60. Had to turn on the heat for the first time ever.

back to the 70's on Monday though!

Flight is booked.  I'm coming into Tampa on Friday 2/22 with an arrival time of 1:34pm on God-forsaken Delta.

Hi topdown not been on here for a bit now we moved from UK to Turkey for a few years  and we are now back in UK got ourselves a great country pub and very busy why dont you come this side of the pond and we can jam in the pub have lots of live music here

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

^ that sounds great rogerjamtill. Jamming with Old Doll is on my bucket list so a trip abroad may be on the horizon one of these days! I may have to win the lotto first though!

Don't suppose you're anywhere near E.Sussex or Kent, rogerjamtill??

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic