Topic: beatles songs

gidday,

A lot of chordians complain about Beatle songs not being available.
often say` Mccartney is greedy`
I don`t think the beatles own many of their songs.
I think Mccartney owns the Buddy Holly songs though.

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: beatles songs

That is true. The beatles lost the rights to their own songs around 1968 or 69. Basically they had to get permission to perform their own music. Then in the 80s, michael jackson got them. I don`t know who owns them now. George Harrison started his own label (Harrisongs)and was able to keep most of his own songs.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I think that Sony bought most of the Beatles songs rights from Michael Jackson, but I may be wrong.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I found this which says I was half right smile but explains the publishing rights situation pretty well:  http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

That is true. The beatles lost the rights to their own songs around 1968 or 69. Basically they had to get permission to perform their own music. Then in the 80s, michael jackson got them. I don`t know who owns them now. George Harrison started his own label (Harrisongs)and was able to keep most of his own songs.

I think I was half wrong too. On the plus side, I was half right also

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

as is stated in the article, macca suggested to jacko that he should invest this way, little realizing that jacko would stab him in the back by buying all his songs (+ all the other songs owned by ATV) which caused a big falling out and only the one joint recording. well, what would you do in the circumstances?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I heard that mccartney bought the rights back when m jackson died

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]