Topic: CD Duplication and Packaging

A couple of local businesses have put out a request for CD's by local musicians to sell at their stores. Although I've made 4 CD's of my songs, they were never intended to be sold, just given to friends.  Now I'm thinking about re-recording about 10 of my tunes and producing a commercial CD.  I've got the connections for all the recording/mastering, but the packaging is the part of the process I'm not familiar with.  I've been looking at on-line CD duplicator/packagers.  So far, prices appear to be about $2.50 each for small runs of 100-200 units, just under $2.00 per unit for runs of 300 and about $1.20 if producing 1000.  I'm looking at maybe having 100-150 made.  Price is for burning the CD copies, and making full-color cardboard sleeves with graphics front & back, full-color graphics on the CD's and individually shrink-wrapped.  Jewel/slim cases would be cheaper but I hate to produce more plastic which could end up in dumps.

Can anyone recommend an on-line duplicator/packager they've used?  Any problems/pitfalls I should be aware of?  Any recommendations/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: CD Duplication and Packaging

I don't have any advice, but wanted to wish you good luck with the effort.  If you're taking votes on favorites, The Paddle, River Morning, If I Were The Wind, and Riding With the Man are my all time Dirty Ed favorites.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

CD baby is one they even give you a website also Disk makers there are quite a few out there CD baby is the one I would at least give a look at,when you do get some CD's to market I recomend posting in the Chordie market Forum and provide the price with S&H charges you might have a website by then to put a link to so members who are interested could get a sample of the songs.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks for the info Russell.  I had already looked at the Disc Maker site but forgot about CD Baby also providing duplicating and packaging services. I talked to my son (musician and computer programming whiz) and he offered to re-master 10 of the songs I've already recorded so that should be done in the next few weeks.  My middle daughter (graphic artist)  was home for Christmas today too and I told her about the project. She down-loaded templates from the Disc Maker site, went through a bunch of photo files I have on my computer and in 2 hours designed the front and back jacket cover as well as the CD graphics.  Looks like I'll be good to go soon.  I'll probably use CD Baby as per your suggestion.

I don't know about trying to sell my CD's anywhere except locally.  I doubt anyone else would be interested in songs about the farms, family, streams, etc I write about except Appalachians. I've been working on writing songs about the Civil War which might have a broader audience if I can ever get 10-12 of them done, but I've been experiencing a prolonged case of writer's block and the project is going pretty slow.

Thanks for the kind words about my songs Zurf.  If this CD project works out, maybe I'll re-record some of my old tunes and try to make them a little more palatable to the ear. I still prefer the "river bank" style of recording with just me, a guitar and some adult beverages. The 10 songs Wes (my son) is going to re-master are ones that I did in a studio with some other musicians a while back.  I personally don't like the "sound" as well but he thinks the songs will be better accepted commercially.

Thanks for the help. I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and I wish you all a happy 2013.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hope you don't mind my adding my two cents worth - We do a lot of short run high end duplication - CDMaker. CD Baby is good, although we do try to be a little better - we use high grade blanks - JVC aka Taiyo Yuden and we duplicate no faster than 16X. We're not going to be the cheapest but the sound stays really true. If we can help answer any questions or just help you by benefit of our experience - please give us a call - if we can earn your business we'd love the opportunity we'll be open tomorrow (Dec 26th) 800-678-1998.

Best wishes - I'm sure you will be in good hands either way.