Topic: Pentatonic scale

I'm wanting to play more then chords so I started practicing the pentatonic scale in A it says the notes are A C D E G but I'm playing 12 notes  what Re the notes I'm playing starting on the fat string

Let no talents go unused

Re: Pentatonic scale

Pentatonic scales are five note scales.  You are probably playing that pattern all the way across the fretboard which would give you two octaves plus a few, which is why you're playing 12 notes.

Play the scale from A to A.  That should be six tones.  A C D E G A.   

Playing it all the way across the fretboard is good practice.  You just need to know where the root notes are so you know where you can resolve your licks.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

A C D E G A

So without looking it up, that's 1-b3-4-5-b7-(1), right?  Regardless, I'm guessing that's MINOR pentatonic, because of the b3?

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

A C D E G A

So without looking it up, that's 1-b3-4-5-b7-(1), right?  Regardless, I'm guessing that's MINOR pentatonic, because of the b3?

Precisely.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Precisely.

YESSS!  I rock!  Well, I occasionally teeter back and forth a bit anyway.

Maybe some of this theory stuff is starting to take hold.  smile

Thank you.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

A C D E G A

Yup.  I just didn't want to confuse him as it appears he's just starting out.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
Astronomikal wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

A C D E G A

Yup.  I just didn't want to confuse him as it appears he's just starting out.

and thank you for that

Let no talents go unused