Topic: Harmonica

Anyone play harmonica? I might be interested in learning. Over the holidays Guitar Center ran an ad for a 7 piece Hohner Piedmont set. Reviews say they are decent. I think I would get something diff tho. I would like a good harp, above decent anyway. Any suggestions?

I don't have time to play guitar, so when am I gonna try to learn harp....

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Harmonica

I play AT the harmonica.  I did the most practicing I ever did in the car on my commutes.  I kept a CD of songs that I liked in the car and when I got to a stop light, I'd switch over from radio the CD and play my harmonica along with it.  I highly recommend getting one of David Harp's books on harmonica.  I think they're the simplest to understand and that he has the quickest route to competence.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

zguitar wrote:

Anyone play harmonica? I might be interested in learning. Over the holidays Guitar Center ran an ad for a 7 piece Hohner Piedmont set. Reviews say they are decent. I think I would get something diff tho. I would like a good harp, above decent anyway. Any suggestions?

I don't have time to play guitar, so when am I gonna try to learn harp....

I have been blowin' harp for a few years.  Not the fancy chromatics with the button on the side.  I play "Mississippi saxophone", or the 10 hole type.  I really like the Hoener "special 20", it's basically the Marine Band (THE classic blues harp) but with a plastic body.  Very comfortable to play, and very durable.  The plastic body doesn't swell on ya like the wood does, when yer slobberin' and droolin' all over it!  Good luck with it and as you get more into it, you'll find that it is a much more complicated instrument than first appearances would indicate!

"History is made at night...

Character is what you are in the dark."  Dr.  Emilio Lizardo

Musicians friend has a 7 piece set signed by Bob Dylan for only 25.000 dollars. Plus, I see a lot of used harmonicas for sale. All I can say to myself is eww. Without getting crude, all I can say is except for my wife.........

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Musicians friend has a 7 piece set signed by Bob Dylan for only 25.000 dollars. Plus, I see a lot of used harmonicas for sale. All I can say to myself is eww. Without getting crude, all I can say is except for my wife.........

Yeah, harmonicas and toothbrushes...not the best items to share around!

After checking them out online I have found the Hoener special 20 to be the best bang  for the buck. Eventually, if I get one this will be my choice. Now if I could just master the guitar so I don't have to practice anymore....

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Good choice!  You'll be happy with the Special 20.  Just like with any instrument, if ya go for the cheap junk, you'll be disappointed.