Re: What was your first song?

Rick A wrote:

I'm actually attempting to learn my first song right now.... "Folsom Prison Blues" -J. Cash

We open every show with a rendition of that one.  It's way too much fun to play.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

The First song I Played on my Guitar is Neil Young's Heart of Gold which is very simple.It's made of pretty basic and easy guitar chords - mostly E minor and D.

My first was Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" - learned if off of the record with my old Gianini 12 string. Once I figured out which fret he capoed!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I thought I had posted on this but it dont look like it.  My first song was probably Iron man. just the main riff.  Butthe one I loved learning and still love to play ...ROCKET RIDE by ACE FREHLEY.  God I love a good flanger in a song!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Like a lot of other Chordians, "House of the Rising Sun" was the first song I learned to play.  The first song I wrote was either "Ballad of New River Fats" or "Bluestone" - I was working on both of them the same time (35 years ago) and can't remember which one I finished first.  I'll be playing "Bluestone" next Friday night at a venue featuring local musicians at the Ohio University Chillicothe campus.

Here's a clip of me playing the song at an open mic 5 years ago.  Sound isn't the greatest, and I've grown much more handsome since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BySDkFX3BWw

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

131 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-01-26 11:53:44)

I've got three firsts as I recall them:

1) Classical -  "Angels We Have Heard on High"  (good scales exercise)
2) Acoustic  -  "After the Gold Rush" (Neil Young)
3) Electric - "Space Truckin" (Deep Purple)

Bluestone is one of my Dirty Ed favorites!  I'm surprised to learn it was one of your first songs.  Well done sir!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Mine was Amazing grace. It was the first song to learn in Russ shipton's book.

Will the circle be unbroken  man I  was so proud had to sing the words so my wife knew what it was

Let no talents go unused

Fire art  wrote:

Will the circle be unbroken  man I  was so proud had to sing the words so my wife knew what it was

You have learned the secret of 'accompaniment'.  It's an ancient word that means 'can't flatpick melodies'.  I play a lot of accompaniment.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

136 (edited by jlustick 2013-01-27 19:08:39)

The first song I learned to play was Scarborough Fair-it took a LONG time!!! The first song I ever wrote wa "Remember How It Was"-a broken hearted song to a girlfriend.

My first song was Elvis Dont Be Cruel.

Lost Together by Blue Rodeo.  Basic chords and a 4/4 strum pattern....mostly

can't remember..i was in my teens..but sure it was some british band song..being it was in the 60's.."walk, don't run" comes to mind also. borrowed my aunts Kay acoustic...man we treated that rough. central fla. swimmin parties and such.

One of my first songs I learned to play was the riff from "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."  I finally realized that it was backed by just 3 chords in the rhythm part.  I also was taught the chords from "House Of The Rising Sun", but I wasn't taught to use the arpeggio technique.  I figured that out on my own.

When I found I could play a simple I-IV-V chord progression, I felt pretty good.  Because my first guitar had a horribly thick neck, it held me back several years.  I smashed my first guitar back in 1976, a la Pete Townshend.

Funny I just ran across this forum.  Been user for years.  After  40 years of plaing and my sister came to visit and said"I remember the first  song you ever playd" and we matched memories and one of us was wrong>  It was either Lady Modonna or Let it Be.  Let it be had not come out when I learned my first song.

When I first started guitar the song that kept me learning the notes was Simple Gifts. I had heard it on the cd that came with the book and I loved it. I also started on chords with that song.

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Blowin' in the Wind - Bob Dylan

I played the crap out of that song once I got it! big_smile

Moon Shadow by Cat Stevens;I was very into Cat Stevens, but as I was in the army then, they wouldn't let me grow my darned hair that long.

Does Incy Wincy Spider count as a song? Goodness, I still use it as a warmup piece. The first ''song'' song probably was this folk song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtTEtu20F0 (''there was a red rose growing in a garden'') followed by a drinking song that features the same chords and lyrics include phrases like ''My father rides horses, but I ride hoes'', and Hillsong's ''Light of the world''

I guess I pretty much learned a little bit of everything, folk, drinking, worship big_smile

my first full song was.. Last Kiss from Pearl Jam!

my first song was only make believe by Conway and then oh Donna by Richie valens because my dad taught me to play by ear besides what he knew which was a lot of oldies and honky tonk and country

My first was "I wanna marry you" by springsteen.

Probably   Johnny  be  good  or  some  other  rock n roll  classic

My daughter-in-law began learning guitar about 6 months ago, and is gradually getting her basic chords down. Her first song is "Free Falling" by Tom Petty, and she excitedly played it for me when they were here for Christmas.