Topic: Classical Guitar Strings

Just re-strung my classical yesterday, and am trying a new type of string for the first time ... D'Addario Pro Arte Composites. The gent at L&M that I bought them from pointed out a couple of unique features:

1) The core of the wound strings isn't steel, but a composite multi-filament core, which gives a much richer tone and projects better than the all steel ones I'd been using

2) The 3rd/G-string is a composite monofilament which gives a more seamless tone transition between the steel-wound and the nylons

I wouldn't have believed that changing to this type of string would make such a difference in the sound quality! The E and A strings have a much deeper and resonant voice than all steel ones do, and the G does indeed sound a lot better than an all-nylon G. If anyone reading this plays classical and hasn't tried these, I'll give them a hearty endorsement.

Re: Classical Guitar Strings

If I remember correctly, that's the type of string that came with my classical.  Keep an eye on that G-string.  Mine frayed pretty quickly on me, but yes, I do think they sounded pretty nice!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Reminds me that I have to buy a nylon string acoustic electric.

Tenement Funster wrote:

1) The core of the wound strings isn't steel, but a composite multi-filament core, which gives a much richer tone and projects better than the all steel ones I'd been using.

Please be careful; classical guitars wound strings are normally nylon cored, not steel. The classical guitar is not constructed with enough strength to withstand the stress of steel strings and I have seen far too many ruined this way.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-02-11 21:37:51)

Didn't know that classical wound strings had nylon cores ... my mistake. And I'll definitely keep an eye on that composite "G-string", and appreciate the heads up about it.

A dumb question: I'm also an avid fly fisherman, and will often use a flourocarbon (PVDF) tippett material at the end of my nylon leader. Does anyone make guitar strings of flourocarbon, in place of the nylons on classical guitars? PVDF has less stretch than nylon, higher tensile strength, and is a bit more rigid ... should work well, I would think.

Any thoughts?

Well, the fish wouldn't see your guitar coming.  That's for sure.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yeah, and we could put the flouro strings on one of those goofy-looking clear plastic guitars that are around. I'd want to leave in the car on a hot sunny day ... just as an experiment.