1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-02-15 03:06:52)

Topic: Quality VS Popularity

Isn't it interesting / ironic, that groups which have had amazing longevity, consistently high-quality music, and pack the biggest concert audiences, rarely make the grade of what's considered "popular music". They're never in the weekly Top 40, very few on the street have ever heard of them, and there's no media publicity about them ever. On the flip side, the vast majority of popular "music" comes from the stereotypical one-hit-wonders with little real talent, who simply have a novelty or a gimmick that gets attention. Here today & gone tomorrow, they've got nothing of substance to hold anyone's attention for very long.

Someone in conversation today concluded that I only favored music if it was obscure. Obscure like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Yes, Genesis, etc., etc., etc. These guys have successful international careers spanning several decades, but they're called obscure next to a group that's released 1-2 singles? Huh? Who really cares if it's mainstream "popular"?

(that's my little close-to-bedtime rant)

Re: Quality VS Popularity

TF - I don't know you or your friends, but based upon your list of favorite musicians and your conversation partner naming those bans "obscure", I can pretty easily come to the conclusion that that person is an idiot :0

Those bands - and those before them laid out the foundation of rock music that every band copies (and the good ones build upon) today.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

3 (edited by beamer 2013-02-15 23:39:52)

TF
I have to agree with Margerator, who ever was talking to you must love Justin Bieber.  Every one of the bands you mentioned are only obscure to someone whos been hiding in a closet for 40 years, and probably grew up on Pat Boon records.,,,(or like my father in his 70's only likes classical, which is absoultly fine also because many rock bands use the greats for insperation on their guitar and keybd solos) Never once have I heard them refered to as obscure.

Tell that peson to jump in  that nice COLD ocean you have around there.  (I once spent 5 very cold days in NS once with the USN LOLOL)

Cheers cool

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I pretty much live under a rock and even I know and enjoy the "obscure" bands you listed.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-02-16 00:18:22)

This chappie is around my age and we went to high school together (early 70's). He started the conversation by saying, "You used to listen to some weird music back then; are you still into that stuff?" I mentioned that 98% of who I was listening to then are still producing quality music, and have proven their worth with their durability and massive global fan base. Ignoring all that, he began naming the great hit bands of the 70's such as Bay City Rollers, ABBA, and (wait for it) Duran Duran. Now you know why he got me revved up.