1 (edited by Dirty Ed 2013-02-16 02:58:23)

Topic: Its Not Chordiestock 2013, but ........

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … mp;theater

Since I canceled  my trip to Chordiestock, and would be home, I was asked to participate in a "Sensory Serenade" that weekend at  a local coffee house.  Two painters, two poets and 3 songwriters with a couple other back-up musicians will make up the cast.  The format is to appeal to the audience's five senses.  There will be 7 "categories" in which the poets and songwriters will perform original pieces and provide short descriptions of the piece's development process.  The categories are:  1. First poem/song written by the performer   2. Easiest  poem/song to write   3. Hardest poem/song to write   4. Autobiographical poem/song    5.  Poem /song about family   6. Newest poem/song written   7. Wildcard  (perform any of your original material).  This will appeal to the auditory senses of the audience (or in my case may damage it)

While we are playing, the artists will be painting something which was inspired by one of the poems/songs while the audience watches, to satisfy the visual experience.  There will also be rich deserts and gourmet coffee served to appeal to the smell, taste and feel senses of the audience.  At the end of each show, the paintings will sold by a silent auction.  We were also told to bring CD's etc for sale.

For my piece of the action I plan on playing:
First song: "Bluestone"  (about river in WV)
Easiest:  "Great Day to be Alive" (things that make me happy)
Hardest:  "Hard Times" (effects of shutting down coal mine in KY in 1930)
Autobiographical:  "Favorite Times"  (hi-lites in my life)
Family:  "Cold VA Snow" (great-grandpa killed in Civil War 1865)
Newest: 1st night "Trenches of Richmond" (Civil War song), 2nd night  "The Whisper" (solo camping in wilderness)
Wildcard: 1st night "If I were the Wind" (tornado destroys a farm)  2nd night "Ridin With The Man" (cowboy finds religion)

Should be interesting to hear original compositions by local songwriters and poets.  It won't be as much fun as soaking up sunshine and music at Chordiestock. But it will have to do.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Its Not Chordiestock 2013, but ........

Those sound like terrific sets.  That sounds like a really cool sort of event.  Whose sponsoring it?  Is it a local arts initiative, or did the managers of the coffeehouse come up with it?  Either way, or some other, it's neat to think how they'll tie all the senses together.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It's different, and I like different!  I hope you have a great time DE!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf wrote:

Those sound like terrific sets.  That sounds like a really cool sort of event.  Whose sponsoring it?  Is it a local arts initiative, or did the managers of the coffeehouse come up with it?  Either way, or some other, it's neat to think how they'll tie all the senses together.

Local artist/musician John K Victor and poet/musician Rick Barnes came up with the idea several years ago and tried it at a couple venues, selling out all the tickets each time.  I never attended but heard about it from John (who is also a whitewater paddler and fisherman) while we were on a paddling trip to Idaho a few years back.  It's been about 3 years since the last time they performed a Sensory Serenade and this time they wanted to expand it a little to include more local artists/musicians.  The coffee house will only seat 60 people at tables so it won't be a large crowd.  At $15 per ticket they go quickly as the ticket includes the desserts and coffee as well as the entertainment.

The event brings supporters of art and music and local artists/poets musicians together in a friendly atmosphere.  Per John and Rick, instead of performing for the normal loud and noisy bar crowd, the past audiences have been polite and attentive through the entire 2-1/2 hour event.  The hosting venue makes money, the performers get a cut of the take as well as an opportunity to sell their art work, books of poetry and music CD's, and the crowd enjoys the evening so its a win-win all the way around.

I'm pleased to have been included in the event.  For years I've only performed my songs for friends around campfires and never actively participated in the local "music scene".  A couple years ago I joined  the Foothills Folk Society, a local group trying to preserve the Appalachian arts and have played at some of their events showcasing members. Through FFS I've met other area musicians and have really been surprised at how well my songs have been received by them.  Who knows - maybe I'll be starting a music career in my retirement and become the "Grandma Moses" of local folk music. wink

DE

I'm not surprised that you're well received.  Dirty Grandma Ed has a ring to it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wow! What a weekend!  I really regret missing Chordiestock, but must say I had a great time playing this weekend.  It's been 30 years since I spent more than 15 minutes on a stage playing to a crowd. Two sold out shows - nothing but three hours each night of original music, art and poems and and an appreciative audience that seemed to hang on every word.  I think poet/musician Rick Barnes said it best (paraphrasing what he said)  "If Einstein hadn't discovered the theory of relativity someone else would have because its a basic science truth.  Same for Watson-Crick and DNA.  But if Beethoven hadn't written "Moonlight Sonata", no one else would have.  Or if Van Gogh hadn't painted "Starry Night" no on else would have.  If the songwriters, poets and artists that performed original works at the Sensory Serenade hadn't created what they did, no one else would have."  He really got me thinking more about my own songwriting and the writers who create the music we listen to.

Here's a pic from each night.  I'm the nutritional over-achiever sitting on the left side of the stage, with songwriters Rick Barnes in the middle and Mike Boyle on the right.  Behind us are guitarist Steve Hummel and mando/banjo picker Barry Barnes.  Artist/musician John K Victor is playing harmonica in the first pic. Poet Tyler West and artist Keri Dodds also contributed.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 2137_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 4466_n.jpg

DE