Topic: BEST LIVE ROCK ALBUMS

ABOUT LIVE ALBUMS.
I don't agree, not about the album, but the ranking.
1) Live and Dangerous                   THIN LIZZY
2) STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT         UFO ( one of the Schenkers, the other's band is the Scorpions)
3) Made In Japan                           DEEP PURPLE & my number one
4) If You Want Blood                      AC/DC
5) How the West Was Won              LED ZEPPELIN & shared number one with Deep Purple.
6) Live At Leeds                             THE WHO
7) Unleashed In The East                JUDAS PRIEST 
8) Space Ritual                              HAWKWIND
9) Exit Stage Left                           RUSH
10) Irish Tour                                RORY GALLAGHER

My top 5 would be
- MADE IN JAPAN
- How The West Was Won
- Irish tour
- WOODSTOCK I
- WOODSTOCK II

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BEST LIVE ROCK ALBUMS

Live At Leeds. No contest for me. smile

U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky is pretty good as well.  And, from a personal point of view, SLF - 15 and counting (live at Barrowlands) is up there as well.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

If you want blood, ac dc.
Live after death, Iron Maiden.
The thin lizzy one that I canny remember the name
Hanx, Slf
dig the new breed, the jam
Live after leeds, the who

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

4 (edited by topdown 2008-01-02 19:58:31)

Some more gooduns:

Yessongs - Yes
Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends - ELP
The Last Waltz - The Band

Edited to add:

Waiting for Columbus - Little Feat
Live at Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I guess prog. rock counts.
Pictures at an exhibition- ELP
Journey to the centre of the earth-Rick Wakeman

There is only one:

Frampton Comes Alive

That is all.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I gotta go with the Allman Brother's "At Fillmore East"  (Good 'un topdown)

SOMETIMES I Feel !!!!! ba-da-da-da-dummm.....
SOMETIMES I Feel!!!!! Like I been TIED!!!. To the whippin' post...
TIED!!!! To the whippin' post.... TIED!!!! To the whippin' post....
OH lord I feel like I'm dyin...........................

Got dang I got goose bumps just writin' about it!!!

Give everything but up.

8 (edited by Zurf 2008-01-02 22:22:33)

Nine Tonight by Bob Seger.  I don't even much like Bob Seger, but it's a terrific live album. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Nine Tonight by Bob Seger.  I don't even much like Bob Seger, but it's a terrific live album. 

- Zurf

The Talking Heads live album I feel the same way about.  I'm not a fan of their studio stuff, but live it's just Zow!

I think alot of people are forgetting the all-time best selling live album, Frampton Comes Alive. Although I personally would not put it at #1, but it is! I also love Hendix live at the Isle of Wight and don't forget Humble Pie Rockin' The Fillmore and don't forget about the Stones Get yer ya ya's out with Mick Taylor on slide and lead guitar! There is also the Last Waltz that has just about everybody on it! The new Cream is also good. But there is one live album that I think everybody is forgetting about, The Allman Bros. Live at the Fillmore East! That album has some of the tastiest licks I've ever heard! But there are a million of them! Hendrix's Band of Gypsys and don't forget Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble Live in Austin. There's hundreds of them!

Joey E wrote:

I think alot of people are forgetting the all-time best selling live album, Frampton Comes Alive.

* cough *

Three that need mentioning are;
Cheap Trick "Live at the BuddaKhan" (yea its probably spelled wrong)  Bruce Springsteen and the E street band "Live 1975-85"
and Nirvana "Unplugged".

I dug up this old topic while looking for something else,, but I can not believe that after Frampton come alive, (whei is THE record that got the doubble live album sales going) that no one mentioned KISS ALIVE.  It was a HUGE RECORD.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

. . . I can not believe . . . that no one mentioned KISS ALIVE.

Old thread, but I'll play.

Alive! is one of my all-time favorites as well.  In later years it was revealed that a LOT of overdubbing was done on the album to clean it up (more than on most live albums), but I don't care.  It brings back a lot of good memories for me.

Near the top of my favorite live albums list has to be Queen's "Live at Wembley" ('86).  That band was awesome.

Another live one I like is Oasis' "Familiar to Millions" (also at Wembley - 2000).  Not an awesome album, but I like it because I was there. smile

. . . and +1 on Frampton Comes Alive.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Gotta love live albums, even if sometimes the sound quality and detail isn't 100%. Most of my favs have already been listed, but there's six more worth mentioning:

"Bursting Out" (Jethro Tull, 1978)
"The Beat Club: Bremen" (King Crimson, 1972)
"The Electric Mandarine Tour" (Tangerine Dream, Zurich 2012)
"Pulse" (Pink Floyd, 1984)
"Live Dates" (Wishbone Ash, 1973)

And my own personal numero uno ... "Yes Symphonic Live" (Yes, 2002)

Great to see others appreciate Humble Pie ("Being here is a real gas!") and Deep Purple's "Made in Japan". There have been very few vocalists of Ian Gillan's abilities in any age.

When hell freezes over,The Eagles.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Astro, I did say that I dug up the thread while looking for something else smile 
AEROSMITH - LIVE BOOTLEG.   the great thing is  there were no overdubs and they went and did each song right through. not always a gig with people but recorded Live in one take.

To piggyback on you comment about overdubs,,, Reality check here is --Almost all "live" records, have overdubs.  Sammy is on record saying that even the concert vid for Live with out a net and the CD was over dubed. Eddie didnt like the sound of the actual, so the whole show was re dubbed in the studio whle watching it on a monitor.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

beamer wrote:

Almost all "live" records, have overdubs.  Sammy is on record saying that even the concert vid for Live with out a net and the CD was over dubed. Eddie didnt like the sound of the actual, so the whole show was re dubbed in the studio whle watching it on a monitor.

No argument.  I implied that (almost) all live albums have overdubs.  The only point I was trying to make is that KISS: Alive! supposedly had so many overdubs that the only true "live" parts which remained were Peter Criss' drum solos.  According to an interview I saw a few years back with Paul Stanley, they even overdubbed audience sounds to make the crowds sound bigger than they were.  He didn't want to admit that, but after all of these years, he figured who cares?

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

19 (edited by beamer 2013-02-16 05:10:35)

Yep I totally believe that. Alive two was about the same. Bob kulick was the guy who did all the over dubs for ACE, he also did most all of Ace's parts on The elder (Ace hated that record and him and Pete would show up totaly wasted for the sessions if they even showed) and I think a lot of Dynasty, and wrote the main licks for All american man on alive 2.  ironically his little brother held the lead guitar position longer than anyone else. (Bruce Kulick)

(Yea im a classic Kiss fan and Ace is still one of my favorites, I love that total Bronx attitude he has about everything)

Frampton Comes Alive was the best selling live album ever. Cheap Trick at  Budokhan was a great one too. My all time best live album would have to be Leonard Cohen Live At London.  I was surprised that nobody mentioned Three Dog Night Captured Live at the Forum. Or any Jimmy Buffett live albums

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

James Taylor Live.  I don't listen to Rock much, so that's my contribution of the best live album I have in my collection.  I used to have an LP of Bob Seger Live Tonight and that was real good.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Steppenwolf Live!
Concert for Bangladesh.
Last Waltz.

Pick one,
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Apparently, Garth Brooks topped Frampton just a couple years ago with his live album. I believe Garth's hit 21M in sales vs. Frampton's 18M ... correct me if I'm wrong. Besides, I much prefer Frampton's music to Brooks', although there's no arguing with man's talent. And it's still very cool that a 70's rocker held the record for several decades.

Framtons album was a great one,but he seemed too have just fade away after it was out for awile and did not have any more good songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

this thread is from 2008, when you look back....!

never mentioned but one of the best live albums ever and DVD is YES AT THE HOUSE OF BLUES.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.