Topic: Reaching a plateau

Have you ever reached a point where you feel you will not get any better no matter how much you practice?

I Just did and I hate it.

Re: Reaching a plateau

Scales until you're sick of them.  Then learn a song that's completely out of your wheelhouse.  For instance if you usually play bluegrass, then take on a death metal lick.  Or if you usually play stadium rock, give Wagon Wheel a try.  Do something to make your brain ache and your fingers frustrated.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I always learn something when I pick up my guitar and start strumming, no one ever knows all they need to its a lifelong education sometimes I watch videos of other musicians and get inspiration and encourgment to try harder to improve and if you get joy from playing then that is its own reward.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

New genre or practice fundamentals w/ a metronome.

Most of us get that way.  Zurf and BGD are right.  You need to change what your are used to and try something totally new.  It should always be a learning experience.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i change string gauges when I start to plateau. Or put down my pick and start finger picking. or relearn songs in open tuning. Or learn to transpose on the fly, ie reading a song in G but playing it in D.

sat20387 wrote:

Have you ever reached a point where you feel you will not get any better no matter how much you practice?

I know most of us reach that many times ,try something different,(music scale practice etc).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

when i listen to the guitar greats, clapton, howe, blackmore etc, and i think to myself, "yeah, i can do that" then i try and i wonder "how the hell did they do that?" i realize that my plateau is way lower than theirs. so i content myself with the knowledge that they'll never have the luxury of playing one of my songs tongue

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Just tried something when I got home from work, and played the same song on electric, then acoustic, and then finger-picking on the classical ("High Hopes" by Pink Floyd). After this run through, I went back to the electric and it was improved from the first run because of exercise.

I've also found that watching some of the better YouTube renditions helps to learn various fingering patterns, like this one of "The Clap" by Steve Howe (which I can only play parts of):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KN2qvtosmM

Learning his three-step-chicken-pick has been frustrating but fun, and even a small gain is VERY satisfying.

Like Russell said, find something that inspires you. It sounds more like you're in a rut than a plateau. If you're feeling like you're not progressing then you need to take a step back and examine what you know and what you want to learn next. Before proceeding, make sure you know what you know VERY well. A better foundation makes for better progress. Pick your next goal and get after it. I think everyone here will agree that even if you think you're not getting better you really are.

If you're at a plateau, then you have progressed enough with the basics that now you need to look for challenges. Like the others said, pick something completely diff than what you are doing now. Expand your horizons.

Stick with it and don't get down on yourself.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys/gals it's frustrating.  I will try what you all suggested.

Hey, Im 71 yrs old and just played my first song.....Simple 2 chord.... Tom Dooley. I know..corny right? But I've only started 2 weeks ago...My fingers are killing me, but starting to get used to it and maybe in about another week or 2 I'll be able to play pain free..Don't give up. If I can do it anybody can. Got a long way to go....but I'm going.

Welcome to the Chordie forum babblinidiot.  Keep up the good work and keep checking in and contributing here.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

babblinidiot wrote:

Hey, Im 71 yrs old and just played my first song.....Simple 2 chord.... Tom Dooley. I know..corny right? But I've only started 2 weeks ago....

Hi Babblinidiot and welcome to Chordie,

Either "Tom Dooley" or "When The Saints" are the 2 chords songs that I use to teach my students on their first lesson. "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands", a 3 chord song, is the usually used for the second one. So not so corny!!

By the way most of my students are Portuguese and they often know these songs.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

sat20387 wrote:

Every time I pick up my guitar.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)