Re: CHORDIESTOCK 2013 - February 23 - Madeira Beach, FL

Zurf wrote:

Has Paul grown even more fingers?  Beside the Shenandoah we all agreed that he must have some extra fingers that retract back into his hand like cat paws but they come out when he plays.

He certainly plays like he has more fingers than I do! "The Old Guy is Rockin'" is absolutely an appropriate Sig line - Paul makes me realize how much I have to learn.

We are planning on going to see Toney tomorrow night - then on Friday the real party starts! Can't wait!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I like that my arrival indicates the beginning of a real party.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Paul says skip the guitar, we have plenty - fill the case with booze!

Well, I do love that black beauty you have, guitar wise.  If I don't get a chance to thump on your 12 string, it'll be a sore disappointment.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Definitely ready to get out of Dodge!

Just returned from Toney's gig where "the old guy" stole the show! Paul played between one of Toney's sets and ROCKED THE HOUSE! - did some Stones, Pink Floyd, Dire Straights, The Who and a Simon and Garfunkel tune - all done excellently. A beautiful evening on Clearwater Beach, good friends, good tunes, good food, cold beer - don't get much better than that! Took some pics with Toney's phone - check facebook soon!

Look me up on skype for a preview of chordiestock - Zurf, Paul and I are having a BLAST

Skype username: topdown67

I don't really know how this works.  You may be able to see this.  You may not.  Hard to say.  The guy in the foreground is Toney Hall (Southpaw).  The licks you hear coming in from time to time are Paul Wood (Normtheguitar) on a 12 string.  The fat bald guy with the red guitar strap who didn't grasp how mirrors work when he set up his camera is me (Zurf).  Every once in a while I hear the bottom end of my passing bass notes.  Also playing are Jeff Taylor (Topdown) whose voice you hear singing first, and beside Toney is Wayne Baye (Wbaye) who also contributes some good licks and breaks. 

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=599613473397781" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

I don't really know how this works.  You may be able to see this.  You may not.  Hard to say.. . 

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=599613473397781" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

OK, so I don't have a facebook page, but I tried posting this part of the string in my browswer:

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vid … 3473397781

I got a message which says:  "Video Unavailable.  This video has either been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings."

So my guess is if I had a facebook thing and you were my "friend" I would be able to see it.  But alas.

Any chance one of you could upload the video to YouTube for those of us who are facebook challenged?  Remember:  "Video, or it didn't happen!" smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

That's probably it Astro.  I have Youtube account, but I have no idea how to post anything.  Let me give it a try.  My Youtube account name is "Halffastpaddler." 

- Zurf

Great to hear and watch although I am sure someone said "I don't know the words"..... that is a flogging offence!!!

Which means that means the culprit has to flog me his best guitar for

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjBvtKNi … e=youtu.be

Roger - I think perhaps it may have been "I don't know the words just now..."  There was a fair quantity of adult beverages and if someone didn't want to know their own names that could have been arranged readily.

Got that one zurf,sounds and looks like all of you are enjoying yourselfs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yesterday / last night was a blast -we are continuing the Chordiestock 2013 Music Festival this afternoon by taking over Toney's gig at the London Bus Pub!
7 days of Peace and Guitars (and beer and bourbon and rum and vodka and.......)

("Peace and Guitars" copyright by SouthPaw41L)

Zurf wrote:

Roger - I think perhaps it may have been "I don't know the words just now..."

Shame, I was hoping for a new guitar lol cool lol

topdown wrote:

Yesterday / last night was a blast -we are continuing the Chordiestock 2013 Music Festival this afternoon by taking over Toney's gig at the London Bus Pub!
7 days of Peace and Guitars (and beer and bourbon and rum and vodka and.......)

("Peace and Guitars" copyright by SouthPaw41L)

Break a leg and have fun guys.

Roger

Too bad, the facebook version plays much better than the youtube version does.  You guys sound AWESOME by the way.  I think I can hear Wayne's distinctive playing (is he doing the picking???), Zurf's, Paul's for sure (super multi finger man), and maybe even Jeff's.  Toney's easy to follow since the camera is pointing directly at him.  Very nice job guys!  Did anyone video at Toney's take-over gig?

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Next year Ill reallyhave to plan it in advance.  Sounds like a lot of fun was had.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

My memories of Chordiestock 2013...  Picture heavy

The flight in was a piece of cake and I got terrific service from Delta Airlines which surprised me a great deal considering the service I last received from them.  To get to Madeira Beach, FL, I drove to a bus station, took a commuter bus to the Metro, and then the Metro train to the airport.  This involved a fair bit of outside waiting or walking, and so I had to be dressed for the cold morning.  It was 20 degrees when I awoke. It had warmed up to 30 by the time I got to the airport.  Once in the airport, I stripped my down vest, and then my fleece jacket.  When I stepped out of the airport in Florida, I was still overdressed in my flannel shirt and big ragg wool socks under my beach sandals.  I must have been a sight. 

Jeff (Topdown) took me back to his condo, which is a nice spot in a lovely community.  Paul (Normtheguitar) was there and after greetings and a couple drinks we went to the beach to watch sunset.  I took along my guitar and we gave a concert there on the beach.  Mostly Paul and Jeff did. 

http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-PK6R7CJ/0/M/P1090372-M.jpg

Saturday was all day to go nowhere but down to the club house.  Paul and I helped Jeff set up a tremendous snack and booze buffet, plus a few non-alcoholic beverages, at his condo community.  There we had a tremendous time and I met with some of my friends who took me to dinner.  The club house was by the pool, and we attracted a crowd of neighbors to come and listen.  One fellow said he was a drummer, so I handed him a shaky egg out of my guitar case and he sat in on a few songs and made a big improvement to them.  This was my first chance to meet Wayne (WLBaye), his wife Liz, and Toney (Southpaw).  All are great people.  We played for a long time, and I literally had to glue my fingernails back together for Sunday.

Sunday was a misty morning.  Paul and I went fishing.  I had brought a fly rod hoping to rent a kayak and go to the flats, but I was unable to locate a rental place that delivered or was on the beach in walking distance.  So we went to a fishing pier at Jeff's condo and had a good bit of luck.  At one point, Paul was off taking photographs and when I set the hook on a fish I heard a big plop on the pier.  I had thought it was Paul setting down his camera bag to take a photo, but it was an enormous pelican.  The pelican had some fishing tackle stuck in his wing.  Feeling responsible for other fishermen, I gave my fish to the pelican.  It is a terrible idea ecologically to train wildlife to humans, but considering that this bird knew the difference between setting a hook on a fish and a simple line retrieve, I think it wasn't his first time. 

Photo courtesy of Paul Wood.
http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-gt2XDXq/0/M/P1090399-M.jpg

That afternoon was an event at the London Bus Pub not far from Jeff's home.  Toney is the MC for the event.  It is scheduled to run from 4 to 7.  We jammed until 10.  I think everyone did a great job.  Toney had me do a set playing bass behind Wayne.  Wayne was doing some song I'd never heard in C#min/dim7- with a capo.  Or something like that.  I had not played bass with anyone for eight years.  I stunk.  Wayne was unflappable.  He has a terrific stage personality and kept attention on him.  Paul simply rocks.  He did his solo set and then later a British Invasion set with bass and percussion and harmonica for a band.  It severely rocked.  Jeff had people dancing.  I had people laughing and laughed along with them. 

Wayne - photo courtesy of Paul Wood
http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-vJd9Hhz/0/M/P1090423-M.jpg

Paul and Roger.
http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-Qcm9Nnn/0/M/P1090493-M.jpg

Jeff and then Liz (Wayne's wife) dancing with Roscoe (87 year old bluegrass refugee)

Jeff's photo courtesy of Paul Wood.
http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-8fnvNhd/0/M/P1090473-M.jpg

http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-mK3QTqZ/0/M/P1090495-M.jpg

Beer is cheap at the London Bus Pub.  I bought the table a round and gave a generous tip, spending only as much as two beers would cost near my home.  The food was likewise delicious and affordable.  They even let me have a crack at the mic.

Photo courtesy of Paul Wood.
http://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/Chordiestock-2013/i-N8ZFS6P/0/M/P1090451-M.jpg

Sunday night I had hardly slept for several days for the excitement and had consumed some adult beverages.  After getting back from the pub, I sat down in Jeff's big easy chair and promptly fell into a deep sleep.  Some time later - it could have been hours or minutes - Paul woke me to hit the sack.  I had laid my bedroll out as soon as we returned, so all I had to do was crawl into it.  I slept like a log and it was wonderful. 

Monday was quiet time.  Paul recorded a song and then we went to lunch and I came home, getting decidedly worse service on US Airways than I did on Delta.

Zurf, your write-up made me feel like I was there for the festivities with you all. There is such a great atmosphere when chordie folk get together and this sure sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. Sorry more of us couldn't make it (including myself). I am sure those who were not able to attend are all envious of those who did.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Looks like y'all had a great time.  Sorry I missed it.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

97 (edited by wlbaye 2013-02-27 16:20:55)

Here's another take on a Fantastic Trip, Liz and I flew in Friday and got settled in a room and Saturday went to Jeff's . Jeff had the clubhouse reserved and it was a great facility for a jam session. Jeff was a Great host and had thought of everthing. Drinks and Food , no problem. Jeff, Zurf , Paul and I jammed for a couple hours and Toney showed up with his lefty J-45 .

Toney is a musician and I mean this guy is Fantastic, humble , sharing and knows how to get everyone involved. He started off with "Knocking On Heavens Door". The best way to get a jam going is playing a great 3 chord progression so everyone can play and sing along. We played and drank beer , till my fingers were sore and that takes several hours.

Then along comes Sunday, Liz and I arrived an hour before Toney's was scheduled to start and had lunch at the London Bus Pub,
it is a very small place but I would never have dreamed of a better bunch of people to play with and play to. Toney set  a small PA system up and a few other musician's set up also. One dude set up Congas, Harmonica playin Kent, and can he play set up his harp amp and mic, Roger set up his bass equipment. These are some folks that come every sunday and join in and play with Toney. These folks are Musicians.

Toney played with his Band of Music Lovers for about an hour and come over to our table and asked Who's next . In a rehearsed unison , Jeff , Zurf and Paul , pointed and said WAYNE !

I had not brought my guitar in so I run out to the rental car , got my guitar out of the trunk , tuned it up and give it a whirl. Played a couple songs and it was  going ok until I played "Dont think Twice " and had a terrible feedback, everytime I played Em , the fifth string was HOT and about blew Kent the Harp man and my ear drums OUCH !
Paul took over and Rocked On, followed by Zurf and Jeff. Zurf was a trooper , got up and did his First ever performance for a crowd, but if it was easy everbody would be doing it smile

Toney played again for awhile and the high of the evening for me was his cover of Neil Young's "Cortez The Killer" it was Fantastic, he really needs to record it , not only can he play the heck out of the Guitar he can Sing.
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/wlbaye/photo2_zps5e8a874f.jpg
87 yr old Roscoe played several country tunes in between a few others and B-Flat played some too. Bee Rad is the owner of the London Bus Pub and what a great guy and an absolute music lover. Bee Rad sang a few with Toney and others through the night.

Toney come and asked if I was ready to play again and asked if I would play one of my originals and John Prines "Hello in There" , he didn't have to ask twice, I was so ready to play this time. I played 9 songs this set and enjoyed every minute of it. Bee Rad loves John Prine and sang with me on most of them. Jeremy played bass on one song and Zurf played bass on one. I know Zurf wasn't feeling good about his bass playing but I was having a ball. I think I finished with Mr Bojangles with Toney on Bass and Bee Rad singing along.
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/wlbaye/photo3_zps8124c0c0.jpg
Then come the British Invasion of Paul Wood and Roger on Bass , they rocked the house. Later Jeff come on and after some some coaxing did a Fantastic version of Monster Mash , with Toney doing some killer background Vocals.
I think Toney's normal 3 hr gig turned into about 6 or 7 hrs but what a great time.
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/wlbaye/photo6_zps320bbfa6.jpg
A huge thanks to Jeff "Topdown", Toney "Southpaw 41L"  and Bee Rad "London Bus Pub"

Also Lizzie B needs an honorable mention for Dancing with Roscoe and Kent , I think she made their Day smile

Later, Wayne P

Here's a couple of vids of the boys jammin, I apologize for not bringing the right sd cards for the Zoom vid camera, but these are the only vids Lizzie got that were kinda complete , before running out of memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HAKlF57CKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hAJtLwzss

Later, Wayne P

Cool stuff fellas ! I really enjoyed our time together. Saturday was a blast as was Sunday. Bee Rad and Wendy ( Husband and wife team owners at The London Bus Pub) absolutely loved y'all. It was a pure treat meeting Zurf, Paul, Liz and Wayne. And Jeff was the best host ever, Yeah I guess that topdown dude's alright ! (haha) You ALL are fantastic musicians and I had a great weekend, had to sleep on the couch Sunday but I'll do my best to make it up to the Mrs !! (haha)

And Zurf, thanks again for cool t-shirt ! And Paul, thanks for cool mug ! And Wayne, thanks for playing my requests !

Peace and Guitars !!!

Give everything but up.

What a time you guys.  I would love to be there for one of these.  Sounds like a hoot.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.