Topic: Squeaking strings

I bought a new set of strings for my Ovation. I initially bought a set of light .12-.053 D'Addario's Phospher Bronze strings. I hated them. They sounded bad and squeaked terribly. So I went back to Guitar Center, told them of my problem and asked for a better set of strings that would cure this. They sold me a set of Martin lifespan SP MSP7200, .013- .056 Medium strings. Though they sound alright (but not great) I still have the squeaking problem especially when sliding up and down the fret board. Is there a solution to this problem short of throwing them away and purchasing an expensive set of coated strings? I do not have this problem with my Fender, but it does have the more expensive coated strings.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

cj-5

Re: Squeaking strings

I use Martin silk n steel and they squeek sometimes if your sliding up and down the neck its hard to avoid smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

it's funny how some strings do that and others dont, well not so much. i'm sorry but it's the nature of the beast that they will squeak! you could try lubricating them (not a joke) use a light oil or the polish you'd use on wood....strange but true. you could also (and i do this before a gig) rub hand lotion into your hands/fingers, and it will help the squeak and your skin.
oh i forgot to say, to apply oil or wax polish, put it on a rag not directly onto the guitar and just rub onto the finger board strings.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by beamer 2013-02-25 23:07:18)

fast fret or finger ease are great for this,, however if you want the least expensive metod,, clean each string with rubbing alcohol by soaking some into a rag and then pinch teh string between and go up and dow to get off excess dirt, then get some mineral oil/ or lemon oil and put on a cotton rag (t-shirt) and then go up and down the fret board.  THis will moisturize the fret bod, clean the frets, and you lightly rub some on the strings and wipe the excess off.  This will do a lot for you.
(BTW - the main ingrediant in fast fret and string ease is mineral Oil.)
As noted ^, Even pros squeak on acoustic smile

this link takes you to the top 3 brands to choose from.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ … %20cleaner

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Brand new strings often squeak more than old ones. It's likely because the new strings don't have anything built up in the winding yet ... just a theory. I have a vinyl LP by classical guitarist Narcisso Yepes. He's playing a 10-string guitar, and there isn't a single squeak on the entire LP !!! One reviewer commented on it and attributed this to Mr. Yepes impeccable playing technique. In contrast, I squeak a LOT when I play ... 'nuff said.

6 (edited by cj-5 2013-02-25 23:30:53)

I do understand that most all acoustic guitars will squeak some, but these seem a little excessive and loud. I'll give what you all said a try. sure will beat buying another set of strings right now. However, next time I'm going to just get the higher quality coated strings--I think.

Thank you all for your fast responses.

cj-5

ps. I had no clue about lubing strings. Wow, amazing what you can learn on this site! thanks again everyone.....

Maybe you have a heavy touch? Just a thought

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I like an occasional squeaking it adds the human touch to a song,I remember watching the greatest classical guitarist that ever lived, Segovia on television played a classical piece I believe it was on the late Johnny Carsons Tonight show not only did he squeak a few times but he missed a note(it was flat) and shrugged it off with a smile to err is human to play like Segovia is devine. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The more expensive coated strings don't "squeak", and they last longer.  So, they are worth the money in my opinion.  My husband hates playing on my guitar as I use those strings.  He LIKES the squeak!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Elixir strings , problem solved .

Rub a light bit of a pencel ereser on the string.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I was so happy when I made my first squeak

Let no talents go unused

Russell_Harding wrote:

I like an occasional squeaking it adds the human touch to a song,I remember watching the greatest classical guitarist that ever lived, Segovia on television played a classical piece I believe it was on the late Johnny Carsons Tonight show not only did he squeak a few times but he missed a note(it was flat) and shrugged it off with a smile to err is human to play like Segovia is devine. smile

I saw sergovia on some other show and he squeaked a couple of times,but he is the most amazing guitarist I have ever seen.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman