Topic: Alone or with others

I am realitivly new to my area and don't get the chance to jam with other musicians very often. More often  times than others it is with someone who has not been playing as long as me. I play alone for the most part but the good thing about that is that it has forced me to develop a what I call rythem and lead style of playing. Any other loan guitar players out there

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: Alone or with others

I TEND TO PLAY AT HOME OR IN THE FAMILY CIRCLE.
I TAKE MY ACOUSTIC TO WORK AND KNOCK A FEW SONGS OUT IF I'VE GOT A MINUTE ,I USED TO GO UP MY BROTHERS WHEN I FIRST STARTED ,HE TAUGHT ME TO PLAY AND WE USED TO HAVE A SESSION EVERY TUESDAY NIGHT THEN IT DROPPED OFF AS FAMILY AND WORK OVERTOOK MY SPARE TIME ,THEN I WENT TO MY DAUGHTERS AND TUTORED HER BOYFRIENDS DAUGHTERS
LAST YEAR,NOW I'M BACK HOME AGAIN ,ITS A BIT SCARY TO PLAY IN PUBLIC SO I'M HAPPY JUST TO MUDDLE ON AS I AM .

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I usually play at home. Only time with others is at kitchen jams bout every two or three weeks, where I pick up tips and have a lot of fun. Good friends, Good music.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

hey badeye I was actually thinking about you this morning you see my cousins son came over last night. A young kid (20 something) who is an acomplished guitar player and enjoys the same kind of music as me. I thought of you because you are the king of the kitchen jam party. Anyway I had the best time. We jammed out on the deck until about midnight and from there we took it into the kitchen until about 2:30. We played nonstop. It was so much fun to just cut loose. A little hung over with sore fingers this morning but very happy to have gottin my ya yas out

Yes PatrickJaques always a good time jammin with others.
When the wobblie pops start flowing you just don't want to stop.Of course all good things come to an end.Try a "Lobster Smoothie" for the hang over.LOL. Jam tonite smoothie tommorow.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

i mostly play on my own in the house.
I have two friends though that come down evey few weeks or so and we ply ourselves with a bottle or two of whisky and we play rom about 7pm to 12 or 1 am practically non stop, and my wife also gets her violin out after a few wines have been poured down her throat.

I also take my guitar when I go to a bothy ( a small house in the middle of the hills for hillwalkers to shelter in) or camping and try to entertain folk.
Also I have jus found out there are a lot of folk sessions going on all around me which Imight start attending.
SUnday night....Fintry, Tuesday night...Old Kilpatrick, Wednesday...loch lomond folk club, thusrday.... carbeth inn. friday night...my house. I could be jamming nearly everynight if I want to.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

badeye wrote:

I usually play at home. Only time with others is at kitchen jams bout every two or three weeks, where I pick up tips and have a lot of fun. Good friends, Good music.

....Badeye.

Brad you must tell the truth. The only reason that your kitchen jams are two to three weeks appart is that that is the time it takes everyone to recover from the wobblie pops!

How ya been doing Buy?
I've been away working for quite a while, so now I'm playing catchup here.
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Just realised that I posted quite a run-on sentence.

I think it's time Chordie supplies Backing Tracks for download.
What do ya say?

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

Welcome back Michel, Did you get a chance to hit the Montreal Jazz Fest or the Luithrers Exibition

In need of backing tracks ? Try this.
http://www.jamcenter.com/index.html

Please remember that backing tracks should be used only in the privacy of ones home and not in public. Pre recorded music, in my humble opinion, is destructive to the integrity of live music. Backing tracks are beneficial in a rehearsal setting but unconvincing, feeble, and souless in a live setting. Many "pure " musicians share my belief on this issue and if the power goes out, the show goes on.

Give everything but up.

on weekends i play with my band but once in  great while i'll play with my uncle and he'll show me som stuff

Hey Mike good to see ya'. Your right it takes us old fogies a few weeks to recover. But it's all good.You've been working which makes me think of Merle Haggert's song "Working Man Blues" which I think is a good one. Did you attend any of the Jazz Fest ? Patrick Jaques Seen Mr Buddy Guy whick I think is great. Truly a Guitar God. I have some footage of him with Etta James around 1970. Anyway I'm doing good and almost time for another Kitchen Jam. So take care and

av a gud un.... Badeye.

one caper after another

14 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-07-10 23:24:07)

Yes Sir Badeye Workin Man Blues is a regular in my repritwa. I love that Blues / Rockabilly sound. When jammin I throw together a little melody with Mystry Train, Thats Alright Mama and Workin Man Blues. I find that it's a great little diddy to get that kichen jam jump started

Hey Patrick I visit your blues songbook often, Love that blues rockabilly too. Ever hear any 'Big Joe Williams' and his nine string guitar ? Sam "Lightning" Hopkins is another favorite of mine. I say you don't have to feel bad to listen to the blues. Good to hear you saw MR Buddy Guy . A great blues man. Anyway enough rambling so take care.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

hey Brad,
If you can believe it I didn't have the time for the Jazz fest or anything else these days. I worked an average 60 hours a week for the past three weeks. I really wanted to see Van Morrison but I guess it will be at a future gig.

Love the old blues also, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, great music.

Have a great one,
Michel

17 (edited by badeye 2007-07-11 21:00:08)

Hey Mike I have a CD  Called "Muddy and The Wolf" and on one side it's Muddy Waters and his band and the other side is Chester Burnett  aka "Howlin Wolf" with Eric Clapton, Ron Woods and Steve Winwood made in England some time ago.
It's a battle of the blues and is awesome to listen to.Anyway you gotta like the blues eh.

Take Care ...Braad.

P.S.   Van the man would be good to see live.OH YA.

one caper after another

When the tickets went on sale for Van Morrison at the Montreal Jazz Fest they were sold out in less than an hour. I can't wait till next year

I once had a T-shirt, when I lived in Canada. 

On the front it said:
                                   "If it ain't live, it's jive"
On the back it said:
                                   "Hire a band" 

My boyfriend (at that time) expropriated it, and has had it ever since.

My humble opinion fully agrees with your humble opinion. Practicing=OK. PERIOD.

Hey, I just read back your message and thought of a joke.  Don't know if someone already made it, or if I just thought it up, but here goes:

How do you kill a whole band in 1 second? .........       .....pull the plug...  ha ha ha

(Must be an old joke, must be.....)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

In need of backing tracks ? Try this.
http://www.jamcenter.com/index.html

Please remember that backing tracks should be used only in the privacy of ones home and not in public. Pre recorded music, in my humble opinion, is destructive to the integrity of live music. Backing tracks are beneficial in a rehearsal setting but unconvincing, feeble, and souless in a live setting. Many "pure " musicians share my belief on this issue and if the power goes out, the show goes on.

Hey Mike thats a show you should not miss. He came to Halifax about four years ago and I missed out because of work also. Dammed Work. Oh well someones gotta do it eh.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

I know and I fear that I will be missing Deep Purple also...... Oh well there will be others....

Ive Been  lucky enough to see our "Van The Man" on a regular basis over a long period of time! "Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Brilliant"!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hello Old Doll, Van Morrison is one of the acts I have never seen. I look forword to one day when I get the chance. I have no dought that he puts on a great show

hello BADEYE what is that Lobster smoothie? I know you live in the PLACE TO BE to eat delicious lobster's, been a few times in Canada, I love Canada in fact and I always wanted to live there.
I speak Dutch, English (very good) and FRENCH is our second language, you can compare it with the situation in Quebec. I am still desperately looking and I hope to find the chords and lyrics on a day: Kate & Anne McGarrigle: complaint pour St Catherine.
I am also most of the time (lonely") player, but I have 1 nice tool to play with: Korg Pandora, I use the device for my electric guitars and I just follow the bass beat and drum loops, and every week I play acoustic with a friend, mostly starting with an oldie, like The HONEYBUS: I can't let Maggie go but a few minutes later we start to play our own stuff (can be played electric too). My "sparring partner" is a drummer, who has played on some records in a studio, so he is a lot better than me concerning the rhythm, but to play I think we are equal.
One question: I was caught when speeding in Alberta, on the way from Jasper to Edmonton in 2002, and had to face court 3 months later which was impossible of course. So if I come to Canada, Montreal, to drive again in that beautiful Canadian part, will there be a risk for me on the airport, or just in Alberta? Please help me.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

25 (edited by mhebert 2007-07-13 21:12:33)

gitaardocphil wrote:

hello BADEYE what is that Lobster smoothie? I know you live in the PLACE TO BE to eat delicious lobster's, been a few times in Canada, I love Canada in fact and I always wanted to live there.
I speak Dutch, English (very good) and FRENCH is our second language, you can compare it with the situation in Quebec. I am still desperately looking and I hope to find the chords and lyrics on a day: Kate & Anne McGarrigle: complaint pour St Catherine.
I am also most of the time (lonely") player, but I have 1 nice tool to play with: Korg Pandora, I use the device for my electric guitars and I just follow the bass beat and drum loops, and every week I play acoustic with a friend, mostly starting with an oldie, like The HONEYBUS: I can't let Maggie go but a few minutes later we start to play our own stuff (can be played electric too). My "sparring partner" is a drummer, who has played on some records in a studio, so he is a lot better than me concerning the rhythm, but to play I think we are equal.
One question: I was caught when speeding in Alberta, on the way from Jasper to Edmonton in 2002, and had to face court 3 months later which was impossible of course. So if I come to Canada, Montreal, to drive again in that beautiful Canadian part, will there be a risk for me on the airport, or just in Alberta? Please help me.

I would contact the RCMP ( Royal Canadian Mounted Police http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/  ) to find out how to clear the matter up. You may be stopped by immigration when entering the country if you have any outstanding problems with the law here. Good Luck! You do realize that the drive from Montreal to Edmonton is a very long one?

Michel