Topic: Stompin Tom Connors passes on

A Canadian icon passed on today at the age of 77,  RIP Tom Connors. All of his songs were about our great country Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3knGGzZr8

RIP....  badeye......

one caper after another

Re: Stompin Tom Connors passes on

Heard the news on CBC this morning. He will be missed.
Saw him perform several times, mostly in small bars, his favourite venue.
Great guy, great performer, a distinctive Canadian icon.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Never heard of him until now,but I watched his video and enjoyed his playing and singing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

What Stompin' Tom lacked in virtuosity he made up for in heart! Several years ago, he performed at Parliament Hill in Ottawa for the Canada Day Celebrations. Prior to singing, he gave a brief chat about his love for Canada, which don't think will ever be surpassed.

Tom ... the good ol' hockey game, will never be the same. Bon voyage!

5 (edited by whitewater55 2013-03-08 12:27:43)

Dino - Tom Connors was adamant about never leaving Canada to seek wealth and fame. In the late 1970's he gave back his Canadian music awards in protest - the awards were being given to Canadian artists who left there country to make it big in the U.S. 
Most Americans have never heard of him because he never performed there. He could be found playing in bars in Wiarton, ON, or Sidney, NS or any number of small towns across the country, from the east to the west to the north. I once saw him at the Mad Trapper in Inuvik, NWT, when he wrote "Muktuk Annie", a tribute to a local Inuit musician, Aggie Thrasher.
He recorded over 300 songs and dozens of albums, to a Canadian audience.
He sang about everyday things, observations, and people he met in his travels. Simple music, but dear to the hearts of those who shared those experiences and observations.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"